CIS fees to go up

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:28 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIS fees to go up

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Hear, hear, Andy. We pay high enough fees already. But I see no one has mentioned military naturalizations being free. Just because they are military does not mean they should get special treatment. What makes them so different from anyone else who is trying to be reunited with their loved one? They are Americans who fell in love with foreigners, same as we have. I don't find that fair at all, but I reckon you have to look at life as not being fair.

Jamie
Isn't it also a faster process for military people?
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:32 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Hi Rete:

ALL removal cases before the Immigration Judge have DHS attorney's appearing for the government.

I'm not awere of how these attorney's are paid. Are you saying that they are paid from the general fund [e.g. taxpayers]?

I'm curious what you prefer -- that the asylee/refugees be funded from the taxpayers or by user fees? I'm having trouble figureing out which one you prefer. It is an interesting philosophical argument on who should bear the cost.

I would believe (and love to hear if this belief is incorrect) that attorneys that work for the government are paid by the federal government. Such as my sister's neighbor's son who works for the US government in DC. His salary is paid by the federal government. He is an attorney.

And for the record, yes I think refugee and asylee cases should be borne by all taxpayers and not just the few members of society who utilize the USCIS. After all it is the US tax paying population that foots the bill for most of their expenses outside of the USCIS, i.e. food stamps, medical, subsidized housing, etc., so let the paperwork fees be included as well. In this manner the costs are spread over a wider base and those who use the USCIS as non-refugee/asylees do not have absorb the total cost of those fees for refugee/asylee seekers in addition to their own.

Since these class of USCIS users are afforded the right to work while waiting for adjudication of their cases, why is a provision not instituted that will make it mandatory that they pay their fee (reimburse) the department before adjudication of their case.

Not articulately stated but I think you get the drift.

Rete
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hear, hear, Andy. We pay high enough fees already. But I see no one has mentioned military naturalizations being free. Just because they are military does not mean they should get special treatment. What makes them so different from anyone else who is trying to be reunited with their loved one? They are Americans who fell in love with foreigners, same as we have. I don't find that fair at all, but I reckon you have to look at life as not being fair.

Jamie

They are special because their lives are on the line in a war at the moment. Think it is the least that the government can do for them in addition to the meager salaries they get, is float their naturalization application as a perk.

Rete
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:36 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
And for the record, yes I think refugee and asylee cases should be borne by all taxpayers and not just the few members of society who utilize the USCIS. After all it is the US tax paying population that foots the bill for most of their expenses outside of the USCIS, i.e. food stamps, medical, subsidized housing, etc., so let the paperwork fees be included as well. In this manner the costs are spread over a wider base and those who use the USCIS as non-refugee/asylees do not have absorb the total cost of those fees for refugee/asylee seekers in addition to their own.
Anyone know the ratio of regular appliers vs refugee/asylee appliers?
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:46 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
I would believe (and love to hear if this belief is incorrect) that attorneys that work for the government are paid by the federal government. Such as my sister's neighbor's son who works for the US government in DC. His salary is paid by the federal government. He is an attorney.

Since these class of USCIS users are afforded the right to work while waiting for adjudication of their cases, why is a provision not instituted that will make it mandatory that they pay their fee (reimburse) the department before adjudication of their case.

Not articulately stated but I think you get the drift.

Rete
Hi:

On "refugees" -- they are pretty much like those issued immigrant visas and land here authorized work indcident to status -- and becuase of the nature of the reason they are coming here, eligible for welfare.

On "asylees" -- they are NOT allowed to even apply for an EAD until 150 days after the application, and can't be issued an EAD until 180 days after the application. And the process is expedited to complete administrative AND judicial processing within that 180 days and if the applicant does one little thing to delay matters, it "stops the clock." And if the asylum application is DENIED by the Immigration Judge, there is no EAD pending appeal or court reviewl. This is part of the 1995 regulatory "reform" which "decoupled" asylum and EAD's.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:49 am
Account Closed

Jamie
Hi:

For the grunts on the ground, a uniform serves two purposes -- camafalouge and target identifciation. I can't claim credit for the forgoing statement -- but it is one of the things I learned in Army basic training many years ago.

I don't begrudge them the fee waiver, which BTW was pass late last year.

I happen to agree that it should be funded out of the general fund, perhaps from the DoD budget.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:05 am
Paul Gani

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > What irks me is that
    > congress thinks it's fair to saddle other immigrants with their bill
rather
    > than general tax payers. Last I heard it was America welcoming the poor
and
    > hungry, not their fellow immigrants!

I'm a hypocrit. Once I get what I want, I don't care about anyone else.
Indeed, I'm indignant if everyone else doesn't suffer at least as much as I
did.

As a taxpayer (and someone done with the USCIS), I don't want to be stuck
with the bill for asylees and refugees. I say we continue to stick it to
the other immigrants.

Paulgani

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

Unfortunately in the case of most of the people posting here, it is not the immigrants who pay these fees - it is we American citizens. I really have no problem with the increases or their stated purpose. I just wish that the USCIS would look into more efficiently running their organization. Congress bears a lot of the blame as well. For K-1 and K-3 people, the visa itself should be a document sufficient for employment purposes instead of having to apply for an EAD. Then they wonder why they have so many applications to deal with. They bring a lot of this on themselves with an inefficient and piecemeal process.

Originally posted by Paul Gani
"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > What irks me is that
    > congress thinks it's fair to saddle other immigrants with their bill
rather
    > than general tax payers. Last I heard it was America welcoming the poor
and
    > hungry, not their fellow immigrants!

I'm a hypocrit. Once I get what I want, I don't care about anyone else.
Indeed, I'm indignant if everyone else doesn't suffer at least as much as I
did.

As a taxpayer (and someone done with the USCIS), I don't want to be stuck
with the bill for asylees and refugees. I say we continue to stick it to
the other immigrants.

Paulgani
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

For the grunts on the ground, a uniform serves two purposes -- camafalouge and target identifciation. I can't claim credit for the forgoing statement -- but it is one of the things I learned in Army basic training many years ago.

I don't begrudge them the fee waiver, which BTW was pass late last year.

I happen to agree that it should be funded out of the general fund, perhaps from the DoD budget.
If someone else covered their fees, like the DoD or a general fund, I would agree that they can keep their fee waiver. However I don't feel like we (as in me & fiance) should have to pay higher fees to support their new family. Just my honest opinion.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:58 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, advance parole will go from $110 to $165.00
Good thing I wont need AP
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 9:58 am
K1 via London

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
Unfortunately in the case of most of the people posting here, it is not the immigrants who pay these fees - it is we American citizens. I really have no problem with the increases or their stated purpose. I just wish that the USCIS would look into more efficiently running their organization. Congress bears a lot of the blame as well. For K-1 and K-3 people, the visa itself should be a document sufficient for employment purposes instead of having to apply for an EAD. Then they wonder why they have so many applications to deal with. They bring a lot of this on themselves with an inefficient and piecemeal process.
I agree...and everyone else that I have told about my immigration process finds it pretty ridiculous too. You would think that they would be eager to receive your tax dollars? With all the waiting for the EAD the immigrant just puts a strain on the US citizen, and that isn't right. I wish they would have thought this through better, but I think like so many other political things in this (and other) country they just don't think it all the way through.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 10:00 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steffi
I agree...and everyone else that I have told about my immigration process finds it pretty ridiculous too. You would think that they would be eager to receive your tax dollars? With all the waiting for the EAD the immigrant just puts a strain on the US citizen, and that isn't right. I wish they would have thought this through better, but I think like so many other political things in this (and other) country they just don't think it all the way through.
Sad but true
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 10:02 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
Hi:

Please define the breadth of "we." The "we" who are the US petitioners are seeking a pretty direct benefit -- either a visa petition or something for the alien beneficiary of the AmCit's petition.

If you define "we" as all taxpay AmCits [and LPR's for that matter] for whom the only thing they know about immigration is that is starts with an "I" -- they are notionally paying nothing.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 10:08 am

Hey there Mr Folinskyinla:

I know you dont *usually* answer questions aiming solely to you, But here I go.
Do I need to apply for AP if I am a K3?,I have been told yes and no, and I would like to hear your opinion
Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Feb 2nd 2004 at 10:11 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 10:20 am
K1 via London

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hey there Mr Folinskyinla:

I know you dont *usually* answer questions aiming solely to you, But here I go.
Do I need to apply for AP if I am a K3?,I have been told yes and no, and I would like to hear your opinion
Thanks a lot in advance
I just read the AP form and it says you don't need to apply for it if you're a K3. You can read it yourself if you'd like. Just download the form: http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/f...iles/I-131.pdf

What Is the Purpose of This Form?

Advance Parole Document -

Blablabla
blabla
blabla

NOTE: If you are in the United States and wish to travel abroad, you do not need to apply for advance parole if both conditions described below in numbers 1 and 2 are met:

1. You are in one of the following nonimmigrant categories:

c. A K-3, spouse, or K-4, child of a US citizen.

2. A Form I-485, Application to Register Permant Residence or Adjust Status, was filed on your behalf and is pending with the CIS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.