Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

chips' AOS from VWP questions

chips' AOS from VWP questions

Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:09 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chips' AOS from VWP questions

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I think you are incorrect in your use of the word "force". Posters give their recommendations and their reasons for them. In most every thread we see a variety of opinions. It is up the each person to separate the wheat from the chaff and make up their own mind as to what course of action they will pursue.

I also think that "the tiniest details" are exactly what calls for a consultation with an immigration attorney. Most posters to this forum are familiar with the broad overview but not with the the little details that can make or break a particular individual's case.

Regards, JEff
Maybe "coerce" is a better choice of word then. Certainly there is an element of corralling people away from the more risky courses of action. An example of what I particularly object to can be found in Noorah's post #21:

No, it wouldn't cause any problems, it would be the correct method of immigrating to the USA
That was in answer to a point about filing I-130. The use of the word "correct" implies that the AOS route is not correct, which is patently untrue. Using language such as "the correct method of immigrating" is misleading and I think it ought to be avoided.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 5:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Maybe "coerce" is a better choice of word then. Certainly there is an element of corralling people away from the more risky courses of action. An example of what I particularly object to can be found in Noorah's post #21:

That was in answer to a point about filing I-130. The use of the word "correct" implies that the AOS route is not correct, which is patently untrue. Using language such as "the correct method of immigrating" is misleading and I think it ought to be avoided.
I do my best to avoid that, but sometimes it comes out. "correct" was too strong a word, and should have been "less risky".

Rene
Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:21 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Just wanted to note that lawyers love aggressive risky approaches because they get more fees when it goes wrong besides it isn't their future they are playing with.
Beg to disagree: In fact, a common complaint is that lawyers are "naysayers" and can get in the way of the quickest easiest way. I happen to think that the complaint is justified.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:24 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I've never understood why lots of people on BE look down their noses at AOS from VWP and don't consider it a "proper" way to immigrate even though it's perfectly legal and above board. There are greater risks attached to it, as have been outlined, but if you are fully aware of those risks you are at least able to make an informed choice about what is the best way to proceed for you.
It is not "perfectly" legal. It is sometimes skating up to the edge of legality and a few people have been badly burned. There is also danger to the proponents in recommending future conduct which some consider a tad dodgy.

You are correct that there should be informed consent.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:31 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
It is not "perfectly" legal. It is sometimes skating up to the edge of legality and a few people have been badly burned. There is also danger to the proponents in recommending future conduct which some consider a tad dodgy.

You are correct that there should be informed consent.
I know you lawyer types like to work in grey areas Mr F. But the fact remains that Adjusting Status is a completely legal and acceptable method of immigrating.

It also seems to me that a lot of people consider it "a tad dodgy" purely because they've been through the Immigrant Visa route themselves and don't like the idea of somebody else with bigger cojones cutting corners/using a shortcut into the US.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:45 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I know you lawyer types like to work in grey areas Mr F. But the fact remains that Adjusting Status is a completely legal and acceptable method of immigrating.

It also seems to me that a lot of people consider it "a tad dodgy" purely because they've been through the Immigrant Visa route themselves and don't like the idea of somebody else with bigger cojones cutting corners/using a shortcut into the US.
If its a legal and acceptable method of immigrating
do the USCIS or the state dept show how to do that on their
"How do I" list I cannot find it
Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
If its a legal and acceptable method of immigrating
do the USCIS or the state dept show how to do that on their
"How do I" list I cannot find it
Oh please. There are probably thousands of people who've immigrated to the US using an AOS - either from VWP or a B visa.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:57 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please. There are probably thousands of people who've immigrated to the US using an AOS - either from VWP or a B visa.
And there are 1000s of people who smuggle an extra few carton of cigs through customs every day ..but its still not legal ...

good article
http://www.ilw.com/articles/2005,1208-montag.shtm
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
And there are 1000s of people who smuggle an extra few carton of cigs through customs every day ..but its still not legal ...

good article
http://www.ilw.com/articles/2005,1208-montag.shtm
Nice try Ray, but the article proves nothing regarding the legality or otherwise of the AOS process. All it does is show that if the US authorities want to remove somebody who has overstayed their VWP they can do so.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:08 am
Ray

Nice try Ray, but the article proves nothing regarding the legality or otherwise of the AOS process. All it does is show that if the US authorities want to remove somebody who has overstayed their VWP they can do so.
But why would they if its all so legal and wholesome as you suggest
its pretty simple.. like the smuggling ..lots get away with it but quite a few dont
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
But why would they if its all so legal and wholesome as you suggest
its pretty simple.. like the smuggling ..lots get away with it but quite a few dont
It's nothing like smuggling at all. That is an illegal activity which has explicit laws prohibiting it.

Adjusting immigration status is allowed under US law. The fact that the US authorities, in a minority of cases, allow a different law regarding VWP conditions to take precedence does not mean that AOS is illegal or unacceptable.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:30 am
Just Joined

chips will become famous soon enoughchips will become famous soon enough

interesting arguments.

fwiw - personally feel a bit more comfortable going back to Canada and doing the K-1 or immigrant visa.

(Canadian citizenship could even come through while I'm up there waiting which would be ideal), pick up my cat, smooth things over with my job, plan a nice wedding rather than rush it, we even need to choose a city to live in.

I am kinda in a position to go ahead with the AOS from VWP and I'm tempted to take the leap, but I can do without the stress.
hate the idea of one guy sitting across from me in an office determining my future.
had enough of that kind of nonsense when I moved from the UK to Canada.
(e.g - 8 hours on the border waiting in little rooms with a lawyer on hand. not fun)

wondering if there's anyone on here who can share personal experiences of going through the AOS from VWP process?

Last edited by chips; Apr 8th 2012 at 7:57 am.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 9:00 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chips
wondering if there's anyone on here who can share personal experiences of going through the AOS from VWP process?
There are tons. Just have a search on this forum, you'll find plenty.

Rene
Old Apr 8th 2012, 9:01 am

As Moderator, I ask that we steer away from the pros and cons of VWP --> AOS now on this thread. The OP knows what it entails and can make an informed decision.

People will always disagree on this topic. It can be rehashed in another thread, specific to that topic, if anyone wants to.

Thank you,
Rene
Old Apr 8th 2012, 10:49 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Not in all cases it's not. There are circumstances under which adjustment of status is not allowed.

Regards, JEff

... the fact remains that Adjusting Status is a completely legal and acceptable method of immigrating.