Reload this Page >

Chilean girlfreind and son...

Wikiposts

Chilean girlfreind and son...

Old Jan 2nd 2003, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

weelzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chilean girlfreind and son...

hi-- I live in the U.S. and my girlfreind lives in chile .. She was an exchange student here in 94' and currently has a B1/B2 visa expires in nov.2004 . We met in 94, and were only brief freinds, since then we have grown closer and would like to have a chance to see if something could grow....heres where it gets complicated.. she is now divorced and has a 4 yr old son. She only has permission from father to take him out of country for 1 1/2 yrs...expire june 04.... we would like to see how they could both come, her son go to school here, for a year... beggining august,(kindergarden) ...they go back to chile over summer to get permission again. At that point knowing thatt it was right or not we could apply for K1/K2, or marry before she goes back. The part that i cant quite grip is what to do for a 4yr old exchange student???.

thnx so much for help--
Daniel
Old Jan 2nd 2003, 4:35 pm
Shannon

Hrmm, I am not the expert on this one but let me start the ball rolling before the question gets missed.

As long as you do not intend to get married on this trip, I don't see why she couldn't come to visit you and bring her son along. Whether he could legally attend school in the US is another matter entirely... quite out of my ken.

IF you decide to marry while she is in the US you have a few issues. Your fiance / wife will have to obtain her ex's permission for her son to remain in the US. You will need written evidence of this agreement for the fiance visa or the adjustment of status appliation based on marriage (for both of them). Otherwise, while you could marry your girlfriend and adjust her status to permanent resident, your step-son would not be eligible (if his father refused).

There are lots of other points to make .. regarding marrying on a tourist visa versus her returning to chile, how long it might take to get visas etc.. but that is jumping the gun. I guess you need to figure out what you want to do first.

Shannon

Old Jan 3rd 2003, 12:22 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: Chilean girlfreind and son...

There is no way to do this unless she obtained some kind of long term
student or work visa for herself. She can't do it on a B2 and the child
isn't going to get a student visa.]

weelzz wrote:
    >
    > hi-- I live in the U.S. and my girlfreind lives in chile .. She was an
    > exchange student here in 94' and currently has a B1/B2 visa expires in
    > nov.2004 . We met in 94, and were only brief freinds, since then we
    > have grown closer and would like to have a chance to see if something
    > could grow....heres where it gets complicated.. she is now divorced and
    > has a 4 yr old son. She only has permission from father to take him out
    > of country for 1 1/2 yrs...expire june 04.... we would like to see how
    > they could both come, her son go to school here, for a year... beggining
    > august,(kindergarden) ...they go back to chile over summer to get
    > permission again. At that point knowing thatt it was right or not we
    > could apply for K1/K2, or marry before she goes back. The part that i
    > cant quite grip is what to do for a 4yr old exchange student???.
    >
    > thnx so much for help--
    > Daniel
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com