Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Children not living with me - wiki not clear.

Children not living with me - wiki not clear.

Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Children not living with me - wiki not clear.

Hi,
Is it a problem if there is a child or children from a previous marriage who do not live with me and will not be immigrating with me? There's a "tip" in the DCF portion of the Wiki, that says that it's a good idea to show documentation of child support before leaving the country, yet to me it's not very clear what problems this may cause. I understand that I have to list them on DS-230, but does anyone have experience of this situation that can inform me as to what I will then be asked and what to be prepared for at the interview over this issue please? I do not pay any child support at this moment in time, as my ex husband and I had a financial understanding of our own that we settled outside of court.
Thank you.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children not living with me - wiki not clear.

Originally Posted by Emma M
Hi,
Is it a problem if there is a child or children from a previous marriage who do not live with me and will not be immigrating with me? There's a "tip" in the DCF portion of the Wiki, that says that it's a good idea to show documentation of child support before leaving the country, yet to me it's not very clear what problems this may cause. I understand that I have to list them on DS-230, but does anyone have experience of this situation that can inform me as to what I will then be asked and what to be prepared for at the interview over this issue please? I do not pay any child support at this moment in time, as my ex husband and I had a financial understanding of our own that we settled outside of court.
Thank you.
If the children are not immigrating with you, then I don't think you need to show anything at your interview.

Rene
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If the children are not immigrating with you, then I don't think you need to show anything at your interview.

Rene
Thanks for answering, that's what I thought too. It's just I'm going by that part right down the bottom of the DCF wiki about child support and maintaining records of having paid it. It's unclear why.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you asking about this?

"A tip before leaving the country: As a matter of general advice: when the father of a child immigrates to the US, it is good practice to maintain very good records and back-up documentation of child support payments for the children not living with you. "

I think it specifically references a father because in cases of divorce it's still, in most cases in the USA anyway, fairly or not, the mother who gets custody of the kids and the father is required to make child support payments to her.

When an alien parent who is obligated to make child support payments immigrates to the USA and ultimately applies for citizenship, failure to have kept up their child support payments is a sign of bad moral character making them not a very good candidate for naturalization.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Emma M
Hi,
Is it a problem if there is a child or children from a previous marriage who do not live with me and will not be immigrating with me? There's a "tip" in the DCF portion of the Wiki, that says that it's a good idea to show documentation of child support before leaving the country, yet to me it's not very clear what problems this may cause.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Jul 18th 2012 at 7:19 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Are you asking about this?

"A tip before leaving the country: As a matter of general advice: when the father of a child immigrates to the US, it is good practice to maintain very good records and back-up documentation of child support payments for the children not living with you. "

I think it specifically references a father because in cases of divorce it's still, in most cases in the USA anyway, fairly or not, the mother who gets custody of the kids and the father is required to make child support payments to her.

When an alien parent who is obligated to make child support payments immigrates to the USA and ultimately applies for citizenship, failure to have kept up their child support payments is a sign of bad moral character making them not a very good candidate for naturalization.

Regards, JEff
Yes I am referring to that, as I am a non-resident parent of my two eldest children who live with my ex husband. As I previously said, we have an arrangement over child support but it is unofficial and we kept that out of court.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I gave you my thoughts about the tip, as did Rene. I'll leave it to you to decide how the tip may apply to you, if at all.

Regards, JEff
Old Jul 18th 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I gave you my thoughts about the tip, as did Rene. I'll leave it to you to decide how the tip may apply to you, if at all.

Regards, JEff
ok, thank you