Reload this Page >

charlieumtali's London CR-1 Interview Review

charlieumtali's London CR-1 Interview Review

Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

charlieumtali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default charlieumtali's London CR-1 Interview Review

Morning all!

Well, we got back from London late last night after an action packed weekend, and so I thought it best to share my experience as best I can sooner rather than later (i.e. before I forget the details)!

Monday morning

8.00 - arrived at the US Embassy. There was already quite the queue on both the Visa and US Citizen Services side, and as my letter said 9am anyway, we sat in lovely park for a while planning out our "Where should we meet if you (my wife) aren't on the attendance list?" strategy

8.30 - wander over to the Visa queue. I show my letter and a print-out of the email I sent asking if my wife could join me. They had no record so wouldn't let her in with me, but that actually worked out for the best in terms of timings.

8.35 - The first chap checks my attendance letter and gives me a clear plastic bag for my belt / watch / coins and I queue up, and next I show my letter to a woman in high-vis vest along with my passport, who points me to queue up and wait to be called in to the security border hut. Whizz straight through metal detector, out, and round the corner to the back entrance where the receptionist sticks some number tickets to my letter, and I head up the stairs and take a seat.

8.45 - I take my seat. The waiting area is different than I had expected. I was hoping it would be something like a cross between the US Embassy in the Bourne Identity crossed with the headquarters in Men In Black. In fact, it's more like a mix of a small regional airport terminal, a post office and a branch of Argos.

9.15 - Start to wonder if I should have had breakfast, or a at least a cup of coffee.

10.00 - Definitely should have had some breakfast. I go to the little shop and buy a Diet Coke for the bargain price of 90p.

10.15 - My number is called! All of the woes and worries I had about my forms melts away: I submit my forms (and for those who know about my I-864 questions, I submitted the Joint Sponsor forms and didn't need to refer to any other!), take my ticket to the cashier desk to pay the fee, go back to the interview window to have my fingerprints scanned, and I'm given a delivery details pink form and asked to take a seat again until called.

10.40 - Take a seat again. The waiting hall had really filled up at this point, and there were tons of non-immigrant visas being processed on what looked like a pretty rapid turnaround.

11.30 - Sooo hungry....

11.50 - Called back for interview! I say my oath to the Consular Officer, sign my DS-230 II, and have my fingerprints scanned. Then it's a really quite informal chat about me and my wife, where were met, where we live, where we intend to live in the US, jobs etc.., and then "Your Visa's approved'.

11.55 - Riding a high, I head to the DX delivery queue, and in a moment of madness end up paying for the top-whack pre 8am delivery! Still, I'm so chuffed at this point (and what's another 20 quid on top of all of the fees and costs so far?).

11.59 - I'm back out on British soil!

As before, thank you so much to everyone who helped me enormously with my questions, and for such positive support all along the process.

TOP TIPS:

1. If you're easily bored, bring a book. You might end up waiting a loooong time!

2. OVER-PREPARE. If at any point you think "Will I need this?", just take it (and a photocopy). The relief of knowing that your bases are covered is immense! If it's not needed, it'll just be given back to you.

3. Try to enjoy it. It's a great people watching opportunity (if you're into that sort of thing), and there's a whole world of personal dramas going on around you. Try to enjoy the fairly unique situation, and when it comes to the interview, just answer truthfully and don't give unnecessary detail / complexity.

If anyone has any specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them, but I'm off to work now and then a gig later tonight, so it might take me a while to respond.

Thanks again, and good luck everyone!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough
Default Re: charlieumtali's London CR-1 Interview Review

Congratulations.

Great write up, thanks for that.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

Congrats!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Well done and congratulations!!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:46 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations - I enjoy reading these reviews, give me some idea of what it'll be like in around 7 months for me
Old Jun 27th 2012, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Denise and Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Really pleased for you both and a good account of your interview experience.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

charlieumtali is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Just as an update, the courier came by with my passport and big official envelope this morning.

I really wasn't expecting it until next week, so I'm very impressed on the speed of turnaround!