Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Changing the interview date

Changing the interview date

Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Essy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing the interview date

How likely is the London embassy to bring an interview date forward. Am pregnant and by the time i go for the interview on the date they have given me, its unlikely i will get an airline willing to take me. Is it best to write to them or call them to explain my situition. Do people get the visa on the same day, if not how long does it take? We are applying for a K1 visa. Thanks

Last edited by Essy; Jul 29th 2010 at 2:33 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing the interview date

Originally Posted by Essy
How likely is the London embassy to bring an interview date forward. Am pregnant and by the time i go for the interview on the date they have given me, its unlikely i will get an airline willing to take me. Is it best to write to them or call them to explain my situition. Do people get the visa on the same day, if not how long does it take? We are applying for a K1 visa. Thanks
It's possible to ask for a date sooner than the one they've given you, but of course no guarantees. Try emailing them (you might have to call the help line first to get a certain code to put in your email to get them to open it and respond). When is your current interview date? It will probably take them a few days to respond to your email, and they might not have any available interview dates for the next few weeks anyway..but of course you can try.

You do not get your visa on the day of your interview. If you are approved, they will keep your passport and affix the visa inside of it. Then they will send it back via courier to an address you provide. It is only supposed to take less than a week to get your passport back, but some people have reported problems and took them 2 weeks or more. You just never know what will happen in your situation.

The good news is that the visa is good for 6 months, so even if you end up not being able to travel immediately, you have plenty of time to have the baby in the UK and then come to the USA afterwards.

Rene
Old Jul 29th 2010, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The good news is that the visa is good for 6 months, so even if you end up not being able to travel immediately, you have plenty of time to have the baby in the UK and then come to the USA afterwards.
And it's probably a lot less expensive to have the baby in the UK.

Ian
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Essy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. Its just that we were hoping to get married before the baby is born...sounds a bit too late to do things the right way lol. Will call the embassy and then email them and hope for the best.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

RPTNOTTM is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add to Ian's comment, My son was born in the USA in 2008, thankfully we had international medical insurance that covered us for his birth, and the mild complications that we had.

The cost $38,000

so having the baby in Blighty is definately going to be a cheaper option!