Change our lives!

Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

skiman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Change our lives!

I realise that this thread has possibly been done over and over but I am desperate for your knowledge.

My partner and I have worked in the ski industrt in colorado for 5 seasons now and have had fantastic experiences in the USA, so we desperately want to emmigrate to the USA. we have checked all the government immigration websites and it seems that we just do not qualify for any of the permanent resident visas, for example;

DV lottery- well we are both from the UK and you cannot enter DV on a uk passport. I do have an Irish passport but father and mother living in the uk when born so once again can't enter.

I am a PE teacher also but have just read that we are not in demand in the usa so brick wall.

The list does go on, so what I am after is some help, does anyone have any ideas on how we could permanently enter the USA.

This may sound stupid but could we have a child in the usa and be claimed by him or her as a resident?? As you can see we will try anything.

Help me out people your ideas could change our lives!!
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change our lives!

Originally Posted by skiman
The list does go on, so what I am after is some help, does anyone have any ideas on how we could permanently enter the USA.

This may sound stupid but could we have a child in the usa and be claimed by him or her as a resident?? As you can see we will try anything.

Help me out people your ideas could change our lives!!

No. Having a child who is a US citizen does not afford you any privileges to residency in the US. The child cannot petition for your greencard until the child reaches their majority.

So stratch that idea. Why not migrate to Canada and then you can visit the US frequently. Canada is always looking for immigrants and if you can pass the point system, you should be able to find work there as a physical education teacher and as a personal trainer.

Rete
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Lebowski is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
No. Having a child who is a US citizen does not afford you any privileges to residency in the US. The child cannot petition for your greencard until the child reaches their majority.

So stratch that idea. Why not migrate to Canada and then you can visit the US frequently. Canada is always looking for immigrants and if you can pass the point system, you should be able to find work there as a physical education teacher and as a personal trainer.

Rete
Is it easier to immigrate to Canada than the USA?
Old Aug 16th 2004, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete

Rete
Yes we had thought of that and we are getting the forms for canada together as a second choice. it is a little upsetting though when we already have a life in the USA, ie a car regular employment for 6 months a year and savings in US banks. We are contributing to the economy and with our skiing and teaching qualifications would continue to do so!! Its very frustrating especially when it seems so easy for so many other countries to enter the DV lottery etc.

We heard last year whilst in the states that if you were an illegal allien and had been there illegally for 3 years you would be granted automatic green card status. I'n really not moaning i'm just really frustrated as We so desperately want to live in such a brilliant country that offers us our ideal life and career choices.

Thank you for your information and would be grateful of any other opinions.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 3:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

We heard last year whilst in the states that if you were an illegal allien and had been there illegally for 3 years you would be granted automatic green card status. .
More likely to be a long ban from entering at all..where do these things come from??
Old Aug 16th 2004, 7:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

it is a little upsetting though when we already have a life in the USA, ie a car regular employment for 6 months a year and savings in US banks. We are contributing to the economy and with our skiing and teaching qualifications would continue to do so!!
What visa status have you been using these past 5 years?
Old Aug 16th 2004, 7:51 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
What visa status have you been using these past 5 years?
H-2B VISA is the Ski instructor visa
Old Aug 16th 2004, 8:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We heard last year whilst in the states that if you were an illegal allien and had been there illegally for 3 years you would be granted automatic green card status. I'n really not moaning i'm just really frustrated as We so desperately want to live in such a brilliant country that offers us our ideal life and career choices.

Thank you for your information and would be grateful of any other opinions.

You heard a load of crap. There is no such provision in the immigration law for this to happen. In April 2001 the Section 245(i) expired that allowed uninspected aliens under the proper circumstances to apply for residency. But that expired and Congress is no closer to continuing this or instituting another amnesty than the President is to strapping on a gun and fighting in the trenches in Iraq.

These rumours are urban legends and have only a small iota of truth of them.

Rete
Old Aug 16th 2004, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Buy a business that employs USC's? I presume you will need twice the usual minimum investment as you refer to Partner.

I think that was the only other route I could have taken.

Must admit I had thought all the overseas Ski Instructors here were Australian.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 12:44 pm
Observer

Well, take a number. Millions who have relatives around the world are in
front of you.

"skiman" <member27798@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    >> No. Having a child who is a US citizen does not afford you any
    >> privileges to residency in the US. The child cannot petition for your
    >> greencard until the child reaches their majority.
    >> So stratch that idea. Why not migrate to Canada and then you can
    >> visit the US frequently. Canada is always looking for immigrants and
    >> if you can pass the point system, you should be able to find work
    >> there as a physical education teacher and as a personal trainer.
    >> Rete
    > Yes we had thought of that and we are getting the forms for canada
    > together as a second choice. it is a little upsetting though when we
    > already have a life in the USA, ie a car regular employment for 6 months
    > a year and savings in US banks. We are contributing to the economy and
    > with our skiing and teaching qualifications would continue to do so!!
    > Its very frustrating especially when it seems so easy for so many other
    > countries to enter the DV lottery etc.
    > We heard last year whilst in the states that if you were an illegal
    > allien and had been there illegally for 3 years you would be granted
    > automatic green card status. I'n really not moaning i'm just really
    > frustrated as We so desperately want to live in such a brilliant country
    > that offers us our ideal life and career choices.
    > Thank you for your information and would be grateful of any other
    > opinions.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 17th 2004, 8:58 pm
Sandra

ray6 <member9793@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > What visa status have you been using these past 5 years?
    >
    > H-2B VISA is the Ski instructor visa
Would your current employer petition for GC?

Old Aug 17th 2004, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sandra
ray6 <member9793@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > What visa status have you been using these past 5 years?
    >
    > H-2B VISA is the Ski instructor visa
Would your current employer petition for GC?
Most ski instructors are self employed and anyway it is part time, the season here is about 4 months, the month either side has limited pickings.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

" we desperately want to emmigrate to the USA"

I really feel for you but as other posters have commented in your present situation you have virtually no way of legally permanently emigrating to the US. As hard as this news is to take you would be best advised putting your energies into a more realistic and achievable goal - i.e perhaps Canada. Discussing the unfairness of it unfortunately will not change the simple facts the USA has enough people and unless you have personal ties with a US Cit (spouse, parent, sibling) or exceptional business skills or talent the US does not need you.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hubbard
" we desperately want to emmigrate to the USA"

I really feel for you but as other posters have commented in your present situation you have virtually no way of legally permanently emigrating to the US. As hard as this news is to take you would be best advised putting your energies into a more realistic and achievable goal - i.e perhaps Canada. Discussing the unfairness of it unfortunately will not change the simple facts the USA has enough people and unless you have personal ties with a US Cit (spouse, parent, sibling) or exceptional business skills or talent the US does not need you.
or Money
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Default Skimans reply. Keep the ideas coming!!

Originally Posted by Boiler
or Money
Many thanks to everyone for the geat responses, believe it or not even the negative ones are really helpfull. Anumber of points to follow up on though;

Yes my current visa is H2B which is great and alows me entry from November to June, So thanks USA for that!! So there is obviously one area that the USA is short of ie, Ski Instructors!! but I also know for a fact that schools in Colorado employ a number of overseas teachers so I will look into that on my return

I am not employed part time, it is in fact more than full time if we calculate the hours accross a season. not to labour a point but we work hard!! ( yes I know i'm skiing so its mostly fantastic fun and a great life!! By the way the person who said instructors are self employed. don't go and work in the USA as you will be arrested on sight if you are found to be teaching. The forest service actually rents most ski areas to one company so go self employed at your peril!!

The idea about permanent residence through my ski company is a great one and I will definately go see the big boss man and attempt to interest him in my skill set for the summer months in which the resort I work at actually runs adventure activities which I am qualified to teach.

So please dont get the feeling that I am moaning I am just desperate to go to the USA with my partner.

Once again thanks for all your help. I have only just found this website and its fantastic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.