Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Change of Address after receiving interview notice....

Change of Address after receiving interview notice....

Old Apr 22nd 2006, 3:22 am
artdesignmag

Default Change of Address after receiving interview notice....

My wife and I had to move across the country a few weeks ago. (I'm a
citizen, she's applying for her permanent residency, we're a little
over 1.5 years into the process) We were currently waiting for her EAD
card to arrive (a renewal), and it has been nearly 90 days since
submitted and we've had the biometrics finished 2 weeks after we sent
the renewal application. So the question is will they forward the EAD
card to our new address if we've given them our new address info (both
over the phone and in the mail?)

Next, we called and mailed our address change on Monday. My mother has
been picking up our mail at our old address and today received a letter
asking for us to come in for our interview for the I-485 or whatever it
is, the permanent residency application for married couples. Problem
is, we're 2300 miles away from our old office where the form was being
processed. The letter was marked for the 14th - we made our change of
address on the 17th. This is probably the worst situation we could be
in. Are we still going to have to go to this appointment or will the
change of address kick in and cancel our appointments? Should we go to
an immigration lawyer? Any advice would be great.

Old Apr 22nd 2006, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of Address after receiving interview notice....

Originally Posted by artdesignmag
Are we still going to have to go to this appointment or will the change of address kick in and cancel our appointments?
The change of address will not automatically kick in. In addition to form AR-11 that goes to Kentucky (you did file this form, right? It's the law!), you need to contact both USCIS offices - the old and the new - both by phone and in writing with follow up phone calls every week or so until they get it right. An immigration lawyer may be able to help.

Generally, the new office must request the file from the old office... and that could take months/years to get it right. There have been some cases where the old office refuses to forward the file - go figure! You might also want to make an InfoPass appointment at your new local office to make the request in person.

The thing to do is *not* ignore the original interview letter - even if it means (at worse) travelling across country to make the appointment. Since you no longer live in their jurisdiction it may take a face-to-face to get this sorted out. If you ignore the letter, your application will likely be denied for failure to show, and your case will be closed. It'll take a tremendous amount of effort to get the case reopened... far more effort than travelling coast to coast.

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2006, 3:19 pm
Guest21

an immigration lawyer? Any advice would be great.[/QUOTE]

Well I hope this helps you as I had to call the 1800 yesterday and they after 1 hour put me threw to a Immigration Officer.
I also moved 6 weeks ago from CA to Louisiana and this past week I received a letter the same as yourselves to go to my 1-485 interview in CA? my mail was forwarded to me as it was mailed to my old CA address,anyway the Officer told me that NOT TO GO as the interview would have to be in the state that I was now living in not back in CA, (I was ready to get on the plane,) he told me to overnight a letter to the office where I was having my interview and explain that I had moved and that they would then make arrangements for me to be interviewed in Louisiana.

BUT get this I have not even applied to remove the conditions yet as my 2 years is not up until next year?

Old Apr 24th 2006, 2:58 pm
artdesignmag

Great, mixed messages. I have no clue what to do about this. Anymore
advice from anyone?

Old Apr 24th 2006, 3:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

USPS may forward the EAD, or they may not, if it comes in an envelope that says "do not forward". No way for us to know that.

change of address kick in and cancel our appointments?
I wouldn't count on your change of address canceling your appointment, especially since it's already been made.

Should we go to
an immigration lawyer?
That might not be a bad idea. Get a professional's opinion. Personally, I wouldn't miss the already scheduled interview, even if I had to fly back for it. If you miss it, they will consider it a no-show, and they'll close your case. Then you have to file for a motion to reopen. It's a hassle.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Apr 24th 2006, 3:51 pm
Guest21

Great, mixed messages. I have no clue what to do about this. Anymore
advice from anyone?

Well call the 1800 number and wait forever then ask for an Immigration Officer give him your case number the receipt number and get his name and the time that you called.
Then write to the office that you are supossed to have your interview at and send them a letter registrered mail.
I have a lawyer and he is writing the letter to the service center and the main field office.

Ian-mstm is right do not ignore the letter but do cover your ass and don't buy a ticket to be refused an interview thats ridiculous.

I am just giving you the advice of a Immigration Officer and Lawyer that was give to me.

Good Luck

Old Apr 24th 2006, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

jeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud ofjeninifer has much to be proud of

an immigration lawyer? Any advice would be great.
I've had experience with one service center being responsible for forwarding something to another. They did it, but they didn't include a memo as to WHY they were doing it. When the new service center got it - they archived it. It sucked.

We had a change of address that was a mess, too. I filed the AR-11 and phoned the toll free number. We didn't change states or jurisdictions.

A RFE regarding our I-751 was mailed to our old address in an envelope that said "Do Not Forward." It was returned to CIS w/ the little yellow label and our new address. They shoved the hole lot (old envelope and all) into a new enveloped and mailed it to our new address. I still consider this my very own little miracle.

They didn't alter dates or anything, so we only had a limited time to turn around and submit the additional evidence. Our copy of the AR-11 we submitted was "filed" and hasn't turned up since the move, so I couldn't send it with the other evidence, but included a letter about our new address. When we went to get the pictures and fingerprint for Philip's new greencard - they said, "What IS your address." We told them our new address, they made the change and nothing more was ever asked.

Can you make an InfoPass appt. with your local office and see what they might suggest?

Surely, there is something on the interview letter that says what to do if you can't make it to the appointment. At the VERY least, reschedule it for a later date to buy yourself some time.

I see you've gotten some mixed messages here, but maybe following a little bit of everyone will help.

Definitely get moving now and be proactive about getting it taken care of. Cover all your bases and document everything you do... everyone you speak with... every piece of information you mail, etc.

Best of Luck!

Jen
Old Apr 24th 2006, 5:15 pm
Guest21

Cool Re: Change of Address after receiving interview notice....

I have booked an Info pass in Mississippi for the day after my interview date in CA( I am not flying back) better to chat to a real person and clear the problem up just incase they get any funny idea's like closing my case.

Plus I just checked my letter and there was no information on mine either regarding changing/rescheduling the date etc of the appointment.
They don't make things easy.

Good luck.

Old Apr 24th 2006, 11:43 pm
Guest21

Originally Posted by whiskers
I have booked an Info pass in Mississippi for the day after my interview date in CA( I am not flying back) better to chat to a real person and clear the problem up just incase they get any funny idea's like closing my case.

Plus I just checked my letter and there was no information on mine either regarding changing/rescheduling the date etc of the appointment.
They don't make things easy.

Good luck.
Update been on the phone all afternoon with the most wonderful Immigration Officer lady who went threw everything with me and I mentioned that knew another person who was also wondering what to do regarding thier interview? as they had moved state and she said "Oh they will be refused the interview" they have to do the same as yourself and write to the office where their interview is explaining that they want to change venue because they have moved.

It's up to you but this lady was on the ball you are nuts if you fly back.

What ever you choose hope it works out for you?

Whiskers

Old Apr 25th 2006, 2:59 am
artdesignmag

You're the only person who has said this point of view so far. I'm
starting to side with everyone else who says to go ahead and interview.
Since our paperwork hasn't been sent to the offices over here yet, I
don't see a reason to cancel that appointment and wait another .5 to a
year for an appointment here. And an infopass is about as plausible as
going there at this point. I just checked, closest office is 5 hours
away and the only dates open are on the thursdays in the afternoon. I
may contact a lawyer for a free consultation to see what they say about
this. From my understanding, though, it won't matter one way or another
after they issue the greencard where I'm living. It's not written on
the card anywhere. After its issued, then I just get the paperwork
transfered if needed to a local office.

Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You're the only person who has said this point of view so far. I'm
starting to side with everyone else who says to go ahead and interview.
Since our paperwork hasn't been sent to the offices over here yet, I
don't see a reason to cancel that appointment and wait another .5 to a
year for an appointment here. And an infopass is about as plausible as
going there at this point. I just checked, closest office is 5 hours
away and the only dates open are on the thursdays in the afternoon. I
may contact a lawyer for a free consultation to see what they say about
this. From my understanding, though, it won't matter one way or another
after they issue the greencard where I'm living. It's not written on
the card anywhere. After its issued, then I just get the paperwork
transfered if needed to a local office.
I see a couple of problems with what you've said. One, you won't have any more paperwork to transfer once your green card is issued. Receiving your green card is the conclusion of that portion of your paperwork.

Next, you can GO to the original appointment, but if you've since moved out of their jurisdiction, they will probably not interview you and approve you at your old local office. They can then transfer your paperwork to your new local office, and you'll continue waiting until you get an interview appointment at your new local office.

The reason people are thinking it's wise to show up in person at the old local office appointment, is that things get lost VERY easily in the mail to USCIS. If the old local office does not receive your written notice in time, they will consider you a no-show, and you'll have to file a motion to reopen. That's a chance you will have to consider taking, if you rather send them written notice rather than appearing in person. If you appear in person, at least they know you showed up, they won't consider you a no-show, and they won't close your case.

Rene
Old Apr 25th 2006, 12:58 pm
Guest21

Next, you can GO to the original appointment, but if you've since moved out of their jurisdiction, they will probably not interview you and approve you at your old local office. They can then transfer your paperwork to your new local office, and you'll continue waiting until you get an interview appointment at your new local office.

Exactly you hit the nail on the head Noorah.
In my case I am not prepared to pay $400 to fly back to be told something I already know as fact.

I wish artdesignmag the best of luck and hope I eat my words for their sake, you never know the interview officer may take pity on them?

Mines going Fed Ex to day and then going to the info pass to make sure they did not close the case.

Best of luck guys let us know.