Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CBP Declaration Form 6059B

CBP Declaration Form 6059B

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice
Default CBP Declaration Form 6059B

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but looking through previous threads I didn't seem to find all the info I needed. I saw that if I'm traveling on my K1 that I don't need to list every personal item I'm bringing if I've owned them for over a year or if its toiletries or clothes, so I just wanted to check on the 6059B for the question 'If you are a visitor (non-U.S. Resident), print the total value of all goods (including commercial merchandise) you or any family members traveling with you are bringing into the United States and will remain in the United States' do I enter nil if I have nothing besides what I've already mentioned. I don't want to get anything wrong!!!

Thanks guys x
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CBP Declaration Form 6059B

I assume most of your stuff has already gone or is on its way and wont be traveling with you? If so you fill out the customs form as you would normally, ie nil.

If you google US Customs you can get a list of what your allowed and not etc when moving over.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

NicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really niceNicciT is just really nice

no its all coming with me but as i've always lived at home i don't have anything like furniture, just clothes and shoes!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicciT
I saw that if I'm traveling on my K1 that I don't need to list every personal item I'm bringing if I've owned them for over a year or if its toiletries or clothes...
You certainly aren't required to pay duty on anything that you've owned for more than a year - but that's not quite the same as not declaring the items. A handwritten list that says: clothes, shoes, personal items... should be more than sufficient.

... do I enter nil if I have nothing besides what I've already mentioned. I don't want to get anything wrong!
You're entering the US on a K-1 visa... you aren't a visitor!

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. I'll write a list as you've advised and take it with me, not sure how I'm going to value my stuff though! Oh well I guess I'll give it a nominal value or something!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

NT,

My wife came the same way as a K3 - 2 suitcases of clothes and a few odds and ends (and, in her case, a kid hanging on her leg). Didn't declare anything, not a problem.

Regards, JEff

no its all coming with me but as i've always lived at home i don't have anything like furniture, just clothes and shoes!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
NT,

My wife came the same way as a K3 - 2 suitcases of clothes and a few odds and ends (and, in her case, a kid hanging on her leg). Didn't declare anything, not a problem.

Regards, JEff
came on K1, and likewise to above minus the kid on the leg...instead a cat in a bag.

I brought over 2 suitcases full of clothes and some random items - books, jewlery, ornaments etc. And rather then pay the airline for two other suitcases full of the rest of my stuff, i asked my parents and my brother to bring them with them as their bags. no extra fee!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone - I'm taking 5 suitcases but that's all clothes (lol). I'm sure it will be fine as I did manage to find some info on the CBP website that said that I won't need to declare anything that has been personally available to me for over a year. PepsiChic didn't realise your journey was so similar to mine - I'm Devon UK to Virginia USA!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone - I'm taking 5 suitcases but that's all clothes (lol). I'm sure it will be fine as I did manage to find some info on the CBP website that said that I won't need to declare anything that has been personally available to me for over a year. PepsiChic didn't realise your journey was so similar to mine - I'm Devon UK to Virginia USA!
its a small world! I came across another poster just the other day thats actually from the same town as me lol