Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Car insurance - any recommendations?

Car insurance - any recommendations?

Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance - any recommendations?

I notice you're in Phoenix Rene. My wife and I now hope to move to Phoenix next year. We'll need to sort out a car asap, and I wonder if there are any guidelines we should know specific to Phoenix? I hold a UK license and my wifes Chicago license has expired.

I was told we'd need a permanent address before buying a vehicle (to register it), but before buying a vehicle we'd need to get insurance first. Since we'll be staying in a long stay motel for months, I hope a motel address will suffice!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
I notice you're in Phoenix Rene. My wife and I now hope to move to Phoenix next year. We'll need to sort out a car asap, and I wonder if there are any guidelines we should know specific to Phoenix? I hold a UK license and my wifes Chicago license has expired.

I was told we'd need a permanent address before buying a vehicle (to register it), but before buying a vehicle we'd need to get insurance first. Since we'll be staying in a long stay motel for months, I hope a motel address will suffice!
Hi and welcome to Phoenix next year!

I wish I could help more, but I'm the USC, I've lived at the same address for 24 years, and I've always bought my cars brand new from a dealer (please no flack on that, it's what I prefer...lol).

My husband is the alien (he's a USC now), but he doesn't drive, so has never had to get an AZ Drivers License nor has he gone through the car purchasing process in the USA.

It's true that DMV requirements are state-specific, so you can probably spend some time looking over the Arizona DMV website: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2011, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

katjoeuk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You do NOT have to trade in your UK license. Don't even bring it to DMV.

Rene
OK, so maybe it's different for UK licenses - in my case, this is what applies:
(Quote from Maryland MVA)
Exchanging an Out-of-Country License for a Maryland License, Please Bring:

Proof of age/identity, lawful presence, verifiable social security number or proof of ineligibility, Maryland residence, Out-of-Country license(s), and the appropriate fee for each license for which you apply. Please refer to Sources of Proof for required documentation.

You must pass a vision screening, knowledge test, and driving test.
An Out-of-Country license may be valid or expired. The license cannot be suspended.
If licensed for less than 18 months, you will be issued a Maryland Provisional License.
If you have never been licensed in the U.S., you must complete a 3-Hour Drug & Alcohol Education Program.
A valid U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) physical card or federal/MVA waiver (if applying for a Commercial Driver’s License) is needed.
An Out-of-Country license may be required to be accompanied by an international driver's license or translated into English by an approved MVA translator.
If you are from Out-of-Country, and have never held a license, you must obtain a learner’s permit.

Note: Knowledge and skill tests are NOT required if you are converting a valid license, or a license that expired less than 12 months ago, issued by one of the following countries or U.S. Territories:

Countries: Canada, Yukon Territory, or France.
U.S. Territories: American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands. Also, the Panama Canal Zone, if the applicant was born prior to September 30, 1979.
Countries: Republic of Korea (south), and the Federal Republic of Germany must be valid, NOT EXPIRED or "ALL" tests (Vision, Knowledge & Skills) are required.

And then is specifies:
(quote again)
Federal Republic of Germany: License must be VALID, NOT EXPIRED or "ALL" tests are required. Can transfer Federal Republic of Germany noncommercial class "B" (equivalent to Maryland noncommercial class "C" license). The customer must be 18 years of age or older, and be eligible for a Maryland Provisional or Full noncommercial class "C" license only. This agreement does not apply to learner's permits, motorcycle licenses or commercial driver's licenses. Effective: May 10, 2011. Note: The driver's license from the Federal Republic of Germany must be surrendered to the MVA before the Maryland license is issued. The MVA will return this license to the proper authorities in the Federal Republic of Germany to advise them that the customer now holds a Maryland driver's license.

I automatically assumed it would be the same for German and UK licenses, but I guess not - looks like a UK license holder would actually have to take the driving and theory test and might therefore not have to surrender their UK license; in my case, I am actually exchanging it, that's why they take my German license away when they give me the MD license. It's annoying but kind of makes sense as they wouldn't want you to drive on two licenses, which I can understand!
Obviously, this is different from state to state. This is what it's like in Maryland.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katjoeuk
... in my case, I am actually exchanging it, that's why they take my German license away when they give me the MD license. It's annoying but kind of makes sense as they wouldn't want you to drive on two licenses, which I can understand!
So what happens when you go back to German for a visit, and you want to drive there? If you turn in your German license to the DMV in Maryland, and they keep it, you won't have a license to drive in Germany. That makes no sense to me.

Rene
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

katjoeuk will become famous soon enough

So what happens when you go back to German for a visit, and you want to drive there? If you turn in your German license to the DMV in Maryland, and they keep it, you won't have a license to drive in Germany. That makes no sense to me.

Rene
I'll be able to drive in Germany with my US license - that's what the reciprocity agreement is all about. If I move back to Germany permanently, I'll get my German license back from the authorities (it gets sent to them by the MD MVA). But that's unfortunately not very likely to happen!!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to Phoenix next year!

It's true that DMV requirements are state-specific, so you can probably spend some time looking over the Arizona DMV website: http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/

Rene
Thanks for the welcome I just have to make sure I get the visa through without any hitches!

And that link should do the job