Reload this Page >

Can't use house as an asset

Wikiposts

Can't use house as an asset

Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

maggster will become famous soon enoughmaggster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can't use house as an asset

I remember when we were doing my AOS in 2006, my US husband couldn't use his house as an asset,even though he owes no mortgage on the property. We were told that a primary residence is not allowed.
Thankfully he had other assets that we used otherwise we would have had to find ourselves a sponsor.
Hope it all works out well for you.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonLondon2USA
I must say that you treat the official with kid gloves as it is probably not wise to start arguing.
Do you think the best move was playing the part of a doormat? From the moment he gave you a decision, you had nothing else to lose by trying.

Fortunately we have access to a joint sponsor and this will be sorted this week.
Sounds like a plan! Good luck.

Ian
Old Nov 11th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

LondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Do you think the best move was playing the part of a doormat? From the moment he gave you a decision, you had nothing else to lose by trying.

Sounds like a plan! Good luck.

Ian
It's not so easy to start an argument with somebody when your life could be in their hands. From what I understand, there is no appeals process whatsoever. So if he decides he doesn't like my attitude then I may find myself with a rejected application. He had clearly made his decision by his actions and explanation but I must confess I was a little shocked to even think straight. I was expecting a healthy discussion with questions and answers but he didn't really ask me anything.

In his defence if I can call it that. He did reassure me slightly by saying my application would be fine, I just needed to show a job for my wife or a joint sponsor. I think this avenue stopped me arguing with him.

Last edited by LondonLondon2USA; Nov 11th 2008 at 8:21 am.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 11:02 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that I'm free to speak on this, here's my two cents'.

First off, there appears to have been some confusion in this thread re "primary residence". Let's dismiss that issue as it's not germane. We're speaking solely about people moving to the US and using equity in UK properties as capital for the I-864.

The problem that the OP faced appears to have been an issue for some weeks. This thread on another board tells of the exact same thing happening on Oct 23rd.

The same issue came up at my interview. From reading the threads, it might seem that we all had the same ConOff. However, in my case he raised the issue, I responded and he chose to set it aside.

So, I don't think it's a blanket refusal. Rather, I think it's a case of them using their judgement to decide whether they think that there's a realistic prospect of you being likely to liquidate sufficient assets inside a year.