Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can we extend a fiance visa?

Can we extend a fiance visa?

Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

lazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nice
Default Can we extend a fiance visa?

I am going to live with my girlfreind in Denver who is a citizen. We will get married but we really dont want to do it too soon and in order to get a visa.

Fiancee Visas require marriage within 90 days. will not complying to this really mess things up and is there any way to extend it?

Work visas dont look like an option as it looks very tight in terms of requirements/qualifications. I have a prospective employer but he is a tradesman with a small business, not a multinational company with thousands to sponsor people.

One other thing, i have a aunt who has been a U.S citizen for 30 years. I know its a long shot but can this help in any way?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we extend a fiance visa?

I don't think you can extend the visa, but you've got 6 months to use it to enter the US and a USC can visit the UK for 6 months without a visa.

So that might help.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lazarus1891
I am going to live with my girlfreind in Denver who is a citizen.
You'll only be doing this if you have a proper visa to do so, right?

We will get married but we really dont want to do it too soon and in order to get a visa. Fiancee Visas require marriage within 90 days. will not complying to this really mess things up and is there any way to extend it?
YES, it will mess things up if you get the K-1 visa and don't get married within 90 days. That is a requirement of the visa, and if you don't do it, you become out of status and removable from the USA. The K-1 visa is good for 6 months after issued at the US Embassy, but once inside the USA you MUST get married within 90 days.

One other thing, i have a aunt who has been a U.S citizen for 30 years. I know its a long shot but can this help in any way?
No. An aunt is not an immediate relative, and therefore cannot sponsor you for a visa.

Do you have any idea when you would like to get married? How far into the future? As Bob said, you can continue visiting each other on the VWP, the K-1 process takes about 6 - 8 months, and then is valid for 6 months once issued....there's a year of your time already.

Unfortuantely, there's no visa type for just trying out living together first, before marriage.

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:37 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

l,

Entry on a K1 visa gets you a 90-day stay, during which time you have to marry. You cannot apply to adjust status until you are married, and after 90 days you are here 'illegally' and start accumulating time out of status if you haven't applied to adjust.

If you do get married after the 90 days, when you apply to adjust status your [then] wife will also have to submit an I-130 petition for you.

Regards, JEff

I am going to live with my girlfreind in Denver who is a citizen. We will get married but we really dont want to do it too soon and in order to get a visa.

Fiancee Visas require marriage within 90 days. will not complying to this really mess things up and is there any way to extend it?

Work visas dont look like an option as it looks very tight in terms of requirements/qualifications. I have a prospective employer but he is a tradesman with a small business, not a multinational company with thousands to sponsor people.

Old Aug 4th 2009, 10:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We will get married but we really dont want to do it too soon and in order to get a visa.
I can certainly understand not wanting to get married too soon, if neither of you is ready for that kind of commitment. However, if you're planning to get married anyway, for sure, then getting married won't be "in order to get a visa". It will be so that the two of you can live in one place and have your lives together as you planned on. Maybe when you think of it that way, it doesn't make it sound like it's JUST for a visa. It's really for the two of you to start your lives together....whenever you're ready.

Rene
Old Aug 5th 2009, 2:58 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

We will get married but we really dont want to do it too soon and in order to get a visa.
Originally Posted by Noorah101
I can certainly understand not wanting to get married too soon, if neither of you is ready for that kind of commitment. However, if you're planning to get married anyway, for sure, then getting married won't be "in order to get a visa". It will be so that the two of you can live in one place and have your lives together as you planned on. Maybe when you think of it that way, it doesn't make it sound like it's JUST for a visa. It's really for the two of you to start your lives together....whenever you're ready.

Rene
Rene, I respectfully disagree. One requirement of the K-1 visa is for the couple to submit a "statement of intent to marry" (which they can write/sign together or submit separately) which specifies that the couple intends to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiance's entry into the US on the K-1 visa. The K-1 is not a "let's live together until we're ready to get married" visa. With the OP's comments about trying to emigrate using some other method -- a work visa or via his USC aunt -- it sounds like they're not ready to marry and thus not ready for the K-1 visa.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 5th 2009, 1:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

J,

Agreed.

With the qualification that my and my wife's statements of intent did not say that we intended to marry within 90 days of entry, we wrote only that we intended to marry. (We did marry within 90 days.)

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
One requirement of the K-1 visa is for the couple to submit a "statement of intent to marry" (which they can write/sign together or submit separately) which specifies that the couple intends to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiance's entry into the US on the K-1 visa. The K-1 is not a "let's live together until we're ready to get married" visa. With the OP's comments about trying to emigrate using some other method -- a work visa or via his USC aunt -- it sounds like they're not ready to marry and thus not ready for the K-1 visa.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 5th 2009, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
J,

Agreed.

With the qualification that my and my wife's statements of intent did not say that we intended to marry within 90 days of entry, we wrote only that we intended to marry. (We did marry within 90 days.)

Regards, JEff
I see your point, Jenney and JEff.

Ours also did not specifically say "within 90 days", but we did so, knowing it was a requirement. Maybe I didn't word it right....I guess I was trying to say that some people might have preferred not to marry so soon (we wanted the non-existent "come to the USA and date longer" visa), we had to make a decision on marriage sooner than we anticipated, since there was no other way to make our lives together. Especially in our case, where he could never visit the USA, and I could only afford to go there once a year or so.

Rene
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

lazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nicelazarus1891 is just really nice

Ok,

Thanks truly for the help, sounds like some of you know where im coming from.

The 6 month flexibility on entry is helpfull. How long did it take from starting the process untill being allowed to move there?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:31 pm

Ok,

Thanks truly for the help, sounds like some of you know where im coming from.

The 6 month flexibility on entry is helpfull. How long did it take from starting the process untill being allowed to move there?
Right now, through London, an typical K-1 case with no glitches is taking about 6 - 8 months to process, from filing the I-129F to the visa interview.

After the visa is granted, you have 6 months to use it.

After entry to the USA, you must marry within 90 days.

Rene
Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:46 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Short Answer - No

Perhaps you need to get to know each other better, have a longer engagement - take a few more years calling/typing online.

I predict a very short marriage if you decide to go ahead. BTW does your prospective bride feel the same about getting married within the 90 days? I'm guessing she has no idea you have cold feet.

Good luck
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the input Kate but whichever way you look at it, you've clearly got the wrong end of the stick.
Whilst I could delve into the history and level of commitment in our relationship, I'm not going to because its not really what the forum is about.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:20 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input Kate but whichever way you look at it, you've clearly got the wrong end of the stick.
Whilst I could delve into the history and level of commitment in our relationship, I'm not going to because its not really what the forum is about.
Then just ignore everything after no.

Have a nice day.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 4:47 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
J,

Agreed.

Regards, JEff
My husband and I did not say that we were going to marry in 90 days either. We just each wrote staements of how we met and why we are asking permission to be approved for a k1 visa.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:14 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

In our statements of intent, Mark and I both stated how we wished for him to be granted a K-1 visa so that we could marry in the US, and that if he was granted the visa that we would comply with its regulations. I can't remember if we specifically said that we would marry within 90 days of his US entry, but since that's a K-1 visa requirement then that's basically what we were saying.
~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.