Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can USC spouse come to visa interview?

Can USC spouse come to visa interview?

Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:13 am
Just Joined

howdoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can USC spouse come to visa interview?

Hi all,
My husband is USC and I am British, and we now have an appointment for my marriage based immigrant visa interview at the US Embassy on March 4th. I just wondered if my husband can accompany me to the interview (esp. as he is my sponsor and so has filled out the I-864 etc)? I get the impression from other forums that the Embassy won't let spouses in any more, but I would feel happier if he can!
Also, he hasn't lived in the US for 10 years, and so we are concerned about domicile questions. He has filed US taxes, has a US drivers' licence, and has various bank accounts in the US; also we will be staying with his parents when we first get there and have a letter verifying this. We also have a letter from a local realtor confirming that we have been househunting in the US, a letter from a local pre-school confirming our childrens' registration with them, a memo of sale of our UK house, and my husband's severance agreement with his UK company. Do you think this will be enough to establish domicile? Is there anything else that we should try and get (he doesn't yet have a job there and won't have by the time of my interview).
Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can USC spouse come to visa interview?

Originally Posted by howdoo
I just wondered if my husband can accompany me to the interview (esp. as he is my sponsor and so has filled out the I-864 etc)?
I believe he can accompany you to the office... but I'm not sure if he'll be allowed into the interview room with you.

Do you think this will be enough to establish domicile?
I don't think you'll have any problems. BTW, this will all resolve on the day he enters the US to live there again!

Ian
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In the past, the US Consulate in London had no problems with the USC spouse attending the interview. There is no room to speak of. It is my understanding that it is an open three sided cubby. Sounds like you have all the evidence you need and there should be no problem in that area. Look forward to reading your results.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:36 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard, too, that because of security concerns, spouses may not be allowed in for the interview.
All you can do is plan for the worst and hope for the best. Both of you should be prepared for him to not be allowed in, and enjoy it when he is.

The "interview" is much less scary than you probably imagine.