Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can Spousal Support/Alimony Be Included on the I-864?

Can Spousal Support/Alimony Be Included on the I-864?

Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:45 am
Just Joined

_Tru is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Spousal Support/Alimony Be Included on the I-864?

Hi, my fiance and I are about to start the K-1 process and I can not seem to find the answer to this online. So, before I make phone calls, I thought I would try your expertise here!

I am divorced and receive spousal support that is more than the minimum requirement for sponsorship. It will not end when I re-marry. I believe I can use child support as part of my income (to offset the number of family members vs income needed I assume) but I can't seem to find out if the spousal support can be included.

I don't work, I am back in college since the divorce and I don't need to. I can submit court papers showing the agreed upon spousal support. Its court documented, however, it's not court ordered as my ex wanted to pay it (guilt...) but it would have been if he had not (according to my lawyer) as we were married 30 years and I had been a stay at home mom.

Anyway....does anyone have any information on this? First hand experience or a website I might find the answer on? I appreciate any help. If no one has an answer, do you think my best course of action is to call immigration or to call an immigration attorney? We are brand new to this! Just started reading up on it seriously in the last month!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Me-USA
Him-UK

Ok, I just tried to post a follow-up to this but it isn't showing so I will put it here!

Well...I searched again...and think I found the answer to my own question. I would have deleted my post/thread but that option wasn't available so I am sorry for the inconvenience! Here is the thread I just found (not sure why I didn't see it in prior searches) but if anyone has any updated information, feel free to share! Thanks!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=alimony

Last edited by _Tru; Feb 12th 2007 at 2:54 am. Reason: Added information
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Can Spousal Support/Alimony Be Included on the I-864?

Well...I searched again...and think I found the answer to my own question. I would have deleted my post/thread but that option wasn't available so I am sorry for the inconvenience! Here is the thread I just found (not sure why I didn't see it in prior searches) but if anyone has any updated information, feel free to share! Thanks!!

Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:50 am
Hull lass

workboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by _Tru
Hi, my fiance and I are about to start the K-1 process and I can not seem to find the answer to this online. So, before I make phone calls, I thought I would try your expertise here!

I am divorced and receive spousal support that is more than the minimum requirement for sponsorship. It will not end when I re-marry. I believe I can use child support as part of my income (to offset the number of family members vs income needed I assume) but I can't seem to find out if the spousal support can be included.

I don't work, I am back in college since the divorce and I don't need to. I can submit court papers showing the agreed upon spousal support. Its court documented, however, it's not court ordered as my ex wanted to pay it (guilt...) but it would have been if he had not (according to my lawyer) as we were married 30 years and I had been a stay at home mom.

Anyway....does anyone have any information on this? First hand experience or a website I might find the answer on? I appreciate any help. If no one has an answer, do you think my best course of action is to call immigration or to call an immigration attorney? We are brand new to this! Just started reading up on it seriously in the last month!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Me-USA
Him-UK

Ok, I just tried to post a follow-up to this but it isn't showing so I will put it here!

OK, I don't know if this helps and I'm sure I may get shot down here, but, as a rule (not specifically USCIS - I work with Section 42 and have gained some insight into how Federal income works) the government tends to count any kind of alimony/spousal support as income - if it's court documented that's actually better than just a verbal thing, you have the proof to back it up.

That's just my opinion, and I could be very wrong when it comes to USCIS - I'm just generalizing with what I know.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would it not be just a lot easier for him to self sponsor for the K1?

I did not think child support counted, but if you got the house etc you can also use capital.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would it not be just a lot easier for him to self sponsor for the K1?

I did not think child support counted, but if you got the house etc you can also use capital.
Self Sponsor? (Sorry to be so ignorant of all this. In all the reading I haven't heard of that!)
Old Feb 12th 2007, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by _Tru
Self Sponsor? (Sorry to be so ignorant of all this. In all the reading I haven't heard of that!)
A K1 can self sponsor at the London Consulate, needs a few thousand, I think it was GBK3k, but best to check if the precise number is an issue. Sort of assuming that it would not be with the ages involved.