Can my fiance visit?

Old Feb 12th 2001, 5:46 am
Karina Flores

My fiance and I just got engaged two days ago! Needless to say, I'm very excited. We knew
it was going to happen (wedding that is), we just didn´t know when. Well, we set a July
date for a wedding in Madrid, Spain (his home country).

We are going the DCF route, just cause it seems much easier. However, after reading
several sites, I am a little worried. My fiance was planning to visit me in April and his
plans were to stay the 90 days allowable for Spanish tourists. During the time he spends
here he wants to finish up his project for school and just relax (he's a recent graduate).
We never worried about anyone hounding him at customs or anything like that because his
plans were and still are to go back to Spain in July. Now that we are engaged, will his
visiting me in April be a problem? This is not the first time he visits the USA, but all
the other times he's stayed 2 months max. If they ask him what the purpose of his visit
is, should he say that he's visiting his fiance? Should he say he's on vacation? What
should he say? Again, he has every intention of going back to Spain in July, and I will be
going back with him for the wedding.

Please advise!

Karina

Old Feb 12th 2001, 10:42 am
Alvena Ferreira

Karina Flores wrote:
> My fiance and I just got engaged two days ago! Needless to say, I'm very excited. We
> knew it was going to happen (wedding that is), we just didn´t know when. Well, we set a
> July date for a wedding in Madrid, Spain (his home country).
>
> We are going the DCF route, just cause it seems much easier. However, after reading
> several sites, I am a little worried. My fiance was planning to visit me in April and
> his plans were to stay the 90 days allowable for Spanish tourists. During the time he
> spends here he wants to finish up his project for school and just relax (he's a recent
> graduate). We never worried about anyone hounding him at customs or anything like that
> because his plans were and still are to go back to Spain in July. Now that we are
> engaged, will his visiting me in April be a problem? This is not the first time he
> visits the USA, but all the other times he's stayed 2 months max. If they ask him what
> the purpose of his visit is, should he say that he's visiting his fiance? Should he say
> he's on vacation? What should he say? Again, he has every intention of going back to
> Spain in July, and I will be going back with him for the wedding.
>
well, first I would recommend that if he is asked, he just state that he is coming in for
a vacation and let it be at that. ONLY IF they question him further should he tell them
more. If they ask if he has a fiance, he should say yes, but then quickly respond that he
is not marrying on this entry, due to the fact that he plans to marry his US citizen
fiance in Spain, since they do consular filing there for a spousal visa, and it would be
quicker than marriage in the US and fling for adjustment of status.

Of course, any proof of his intended return to Spain would be desired, and a
round-trip ticket..

alvena

Old Feb 28th 2001, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

thanks for that alvena, as someone planning on visiting her fiance next month, and already getting the heebee-jeebees about going through immigration, it is much appreciated.

i actually wrote to the uk american embassy today asking for confirmation that you can enter the us temporarily whilst your fiance visa is being processed, and stating my firm intent to return at the end of this planned visit. i'll use this letter, their reply and a letter from my company as proof of intent to return should i get waylaid...

if anyone's interested, i'll post the embassy's reply.

fingers crossed!

kate