Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can my fiancé apply for citizenship in Florida??

Wikiposts

Can my fiancé apply for citizenship in Florida??

Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice
Default Can my fiancé apply for citizenship in Florida??

hi guys, my fiancé is currently getting the paperwork together to apply for his us passport. We found out on this site that's he's already a us citizen. The problem is his dad can't find all the documents needed to apply so we may have to go over the pond to find them. Our home is currently for sale so leaving could be tricky. Is there any way we could get his us passport in Florida? Or do we have to do it in the uk at the passport agency??

Thanks janet
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my fiancé apply for citizenship in Florida??

Your fiancee cannot get a passport without the proper documentation. If he does not have it so that he can get it through the US Consulate in London, then he cannot get it while in the US. It is not a matter of one office being stricter than another.

If he has all the documentation while he is in Florida, then, of course, he can apply while in the US. It will take time, however, unless he can show an emergent reason for needing it within 24 hours and there is a higher cost involved to do so.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

janeth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nicejaneth8711 is just really nice

He does have most of the documents here in the uk, but we need his dads us passport and birth certificate and school records we need and his dad hasn't been very helpfull. I just thought it might be easier obtaining the passport while were there.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janeth8711
He does have most of the documents here in the uk, but we need his dads us passport and birth certificate and school records we need and his dad hasn't been very helpfull. I just thought it might be easier obtaining the passport while were there.
If his dad hasn't been very helpful thus far, what makes you think coming over here will make him more agreeable to giving you his passport and birth certificate? Also, I doubt that his school would release records to anyone but him. You have a long way to go before you can prove your fiance's US citizenship.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

I mean helpful as him being 75 years old, his dad is a hoarder! He won throw anything away, which makes finding things very difficult! Anyhow spoke to him today and he's posted them. The school records I mentioned are at his dads house. We needed proof of him being at school between certain dates for him to qualify.
Just wondering if the process in Florida would be more difficult?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

I mean helpful as him being 75 years old, his dad is a hoarder! He won throw anything away, which makes finding things very difficult! Anyhow spoke to him today and he's posted them. The school records I mentioned are at his dads house. We needed proof of him being at school between certain dates for him to qualify.
Well you seem to be on your way. I wouldn't say it would be any different than applying from the UK itself. Others will weigh in.
Good luck.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Since everything is now in the post, just stick to getting the passport in the UK. As a USC, your fiancee is supposed to use a US passport to enter the USA anyway.

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:24 am
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Why the questions about Florida? Immigration is a federal process so it doesn't matter where you apply. The only way the particular area comes into play is the local office, and how fast or slow they may be in scheduling interviews.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

John Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud of

This website has alot of good information. I do not know what part of the website covers this topic. I have not searched through it. However, acquisition of citizenship for a person born outside the U.S. is somewhat complicated. Generally the governing law is the law in effect on the date of the claimant's birth. Other considerations could include whether your fiancee was born in/out of wedlock, how many years physical presence to show for the citizen parent, etc...

You might want to check with either the INA or go for a consultation with an attorney in UK/Florida to see exactly what you need for your application.

Where you apply does not seem particularly relevant. They are not going to grant citizenship lightly. So, you should find out exactly what you need and obtain the best possible records to prove that claim.

hi guys, my fiancé is currently getting the paperwork together to apply for his us passport. We found out on this site that's he's already a us citizen. The problem is his dad can't find all the documents needed to apply so we may have to go over the pond to find them. Our home is currently for sale so leaving could be tricky. Is there any way we could get his us passport in Florida? Or do we have to do it in the uk at the passport agency??

Thanks janet
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

NB: applying for citizenship is not the same as applying for a passport.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:56 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Manley
This website has alot of good information. I do not know what part of the website covers this topic. I have not searched through it. However, acquisition of citizenship for a person born outside the U.S. is somewhat complicated. Generally the governing law is the law in effect on the date of the claimant's birth. Other considerations could include whether your fiancee was born in/out of wedlock, how many years physical presence to show for the citizen parent, etc...

You might want to check with either the INA or go for a consultation with an attorney in UK/Florida to see exactly what you need for your application.

Where you apply does not seem particularly relevant. They are not going to grant citizenship lightly. So, you should find out exactly what you need and obtain the best possible records to prove that claim.

mautino.org
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:51 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

After reviewing his other thread, this person was likely a citizen at birth. The only question is to whether or not he can support his application with sufficient documentation for a passport and/or N600.