Reload this Page >

Can my American boyfriend sponsor me for a master degree in the USA

Can my American boyfriend sponsor me for a master degree in the USA

Old Sep 16th 2012, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

narcissi38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my American boyfriend sponsor me for a master degree in the USA

Hi there,

I am very new in this website and I am just looking for some helpful advice from anyone out there who knows about student visa procedures and what to do, but here is the situation first..
I am a British Citizen, and currently still living in the Uk. I met my American boyfriend in London two years ago and we started see each other on a regular basis. I have been to the USA for 3 times under VWP and we both are considering to live together before taking any serious steps.
therefore, We both now decided that i should relocate there and hopefully get married there in the near future.. as well as finding a master degree that i can study there and get to know each other better. I have managed to find a decent university for a master degree and since my boyfriend is financially stable he will sponsor me for this program..
So, can he as my boyfriend sponsor me for a student visa? Can I be fully truthfull to the US embassy and explain them about everything..Would they get suspicious about whether I would be going there to live with him rather than studying?
Any advice and guidence would be pretiated thank you all..!!!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 12:20 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my American boyfriend sponsor me for a master degree in the USA

marry him.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I think what Manc means is 'no', unless you marry him...

And living together is sensible, but don't outstay your VWP limits AND know that the boarder/immigration people can get suspiscious of your motives for coming in to the country as your pattern will be long stays, happening frequently.... This happened to a buddy of mine a few years ago...

Tread carefully, and slowly, get plenty of advice first - there are many knowledgable people on this forum... Use them!
Old Sep 16th 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by narcissi38
We both now decided that i should relocate there and hopefully get married there in the near future..
Look into a K1 fiancee visa, then. You would be able to move to the US, and you have 90 days to get married upon entry. Once married, you can adjust status to permanent resident (Green Card)

You can still do your masters if you wish, and you would not have to deal with the limitations that come with a student visa.
Old Sep 16th 2012, 3:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

therefore, We both now decided that i should relocate there and hopefully get married there in the near future.. as well as finding a master degree that i can study there and get to know each other better. I have managed to find a decent university for a master degree and since my boyfriend is financially stable he will sponsor me for this program..
So, can he as my boyfriend sponsor me for a student visa?
Sponsor is probably the wrong word here. A student visa does not need a sponsor. You must present proof that you have been accepted at a university, and that you have the funds to pay the tuition plus living expenses for the duration of your studies. It does not matter where that money comes from. I have heard of students get approved by using money in a bank account that their parents have set aside. So, in theory, yes, your boyfriend's money can be used to prove that you have the funds to study in the USA...however...

Can I be fully truthfull to the US embassy and explain them about everything...
Not ony can you, but you must be fully truthful. That said, you are only required to answer the questions asked, and provide no further information unless specifically asked. So you don't have to explain anything, unless the ConOff asks you specific questions. Answer the specific question and do not elaborate.

Would they get suspicious about whether I would be going there to live with him rather than studying?
Possibly. Probably. Maybe.

Any advice and guidence would be pretiated thank you all..!!!
You'll never know unless you try for the student visa. But be aware that if your student visa is denied, you will have to re-do a new ESTA and declare the denied visa. This in turn will most likely cause the new ESTA application to be denied for some time (probably around 6 to 12 months). So, if you try for the student visa and fail, you will also not be visiting the USA for possibly up to 1 year after the student visa denial.

Rene
Old Sep 16th 2012, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... we both are considering to live together before taking any serious steps.
Respectfully, that's simply not going to happen. There is no "live together for a while" visa. Either you marry him, find some other visa, or forget the whole thing.

We both now decided that i should relocate there and hopefully get married there in the near future...
Do it sooner rather than "in the near future" and get on with life.

... as well as finding a master degree that i can study there and get to know each other better.
Well, apply for an F-1 student visa and hope the program is in a city close to your boyfriend.

I have managed to find a decent university for a master degree and since my boyfriend is financially stable he will sponsor me for this program..
Umm... no, he won't. He can't.

Would they get suspicious about whether I would be going there to live with him rather than studying?
Yes... most definitely.

Ian
Old Sep 17th 2012, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

narcissi38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to all the support from people on this site especially to Ian..I will continue to post when I have more information about what is going on

Regards

Narcissus