Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

can i marry my fiance whilst on holiday there?and what are the contra-indications?

can i marry my fiance whilst on holiday there?and what are the contra-indications?

Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:00 pm
georgousgirlz

Default can i marry my fiance whilst on holiday there?and what are the contra-indications?

hi......I,m going to visit my fiance in november, and was wondering..is
it actually legal for me to marry him whilst over there
visiting..?..would we have to get a special licence..?....and what
would the contra-indications be if any when trying to..immigrate to be
with him..?..I,m also thinking i would perphaps need proof .i.e..birth
certificate..and proof of not being married before?...and if we did get
married,how does that leave me and him..? what sort of availability do
we have to see each other..whilst all the visa applications etc are in
process..?..sorry for the mound of questions..but i have searched
several ports and sites ..all with differing information..and cant
really get a sufficent answer to the information..i,m requesting...we
were also wondering maybe would the k-1 route be better..??.i have afew
other questions but..will see...if anyone can help me with these few
first thankyou very much.....GG

Old Aug 31st 2006, 3:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can i marry my fiance whilst on holiday there?and what are the contra-indications?

Originally Posted by georgousgirlz
hi......I,m going to visit my fiance in november, and was wondering..is
it actually legal for me to marry him whilst over there
visiting..?..would we have to get a special licence..?....and what
would the contra-indications be if any when trying to..immigrate to be
with him..?..I,m also thinking i would perphaps need proof .i.e..birth
certificate..and proof of not being married before?...and if we did get
married,how does that leave me and him..? what sort of availability do
we have to see each other..whilst all the visa applications etc are in
process..?..sorry for the mound of questions..but i have searched
several ports and sites ..all with differing information..and cant
really get a sufficent answer to the information..i,m requesting...we
were also wondering maybe would the k-1 route be better..??.i have afew
other questions but..will see...if anyone can help me with these few
first thankyou very much.....GG
Yes, you can get married while here in the USA, no special license required. You would then stay your allowed visit time, then return to your home country for visa processing. If you wanted to visit again in the meantime, it's allowed, you will just have to bring proof to show at the POE that you do not intend to immigrate on the visit.

You can do the K-1 if you prefer. Just depends on whether you'd rather be separated while engaged, or separated while married. The K-1 might be a bit quicker to get you into the USA, but then there is a boatload of more paperwork and waiting once in the USA.

The CR-1 spouse immigrant visa is the quicker way to the green card in hand, even if it takes a little longer for you to actually get to the USA.

All depends on your particular situation, which you prefer.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can i marry my fiance whilst on holiday there?and what are the contra-indications

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, you can get married while here in the USA, no special license required. You would then stay your allowed visit time, then return to your home country for visa processing. If you wanted to visit again in the meantime, it's allowed, you will just have to bring proof to show at the POE that you do not intend to immigrate on the visit.

You can do the K-1 if you prefer. Just depends on whether you'd rather be separated while engaged, or separated while married. The K-1 might be a bit quicker to get you into the USA, but then there is a boatload of more paperwork and waiting once in the USA.

The CR-1 spouse immigrant visa is the quicker way to the green card in hand, even if it takes a little longer for you to actually get to the USA.

All depends on your particular situation, which you prefer.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hi Rene:

I don't understand the OP at all. First of all, where is "here"?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:42 pm
georgousgirlz

Default Re: can i marry my fiance whilst on holiday there?and what are the contra-indications?

super! ty very much...thats given me areal head start!...I,m wondering
also..i did read that I perphaps would,nt have to wait to move over
there for the marriage visa and not sure if i have this correct or
not.but a visa named k..? which would apparently allow me to go
there asap and work whilst waiting for the marriage visa..?? wether i
have this wrapped round my neck or not !!......lol..i,m not actually
sure...and also..i would be wanting my daughter to join me who is under
21..which process would i need to bring her through under?....Our plans
were maybe to marry in a civial ceramony...to start then a yr to the
day ..a big weddding for us and friends and family..but with question
to the civial..i guess its just amatter of arranging at date with..is
it the justice of peace..??and am i to assume correct it would be the
passport and birth certificate documention that would be required for
the marriage?..........and the only other information that concerned
me was something about entering the country with intent to marry.could
this cause any problems for me..??thankyou everso much and once again
sorry for the bombardment!.............GG
Noorah101 wrote:
    > > hi......I,m going to visit my fiance in november, and was
    > > wondering..is
    > > it actually legal for me to marry him whilst over there
    > > visiting..?..would we have to get a special licence..?....and what
    > > would the contra-indications be if any when trying to..immigrate to be
    > > with him..?..I,m also thinking i would perphaps need proof .i.e..birth
    > > certificate..and proof of not being married before?...and if we did
    > > get
    > > married,how does that leave me and him..? what sort of availability do
    > > we have to see each other..whilst all the visa applications etc are in
    > > process..?..sorry for the mound of questions..but i have searched
    > > several ports and sites ..all with differing information..and cant
    > > really get a sufficent answer to the information..i,m requesting...we
    > > were also wondering maybe would the k-1 route be better..??.i have
    > > afew
    > > other questions but..will see...if anyone can help me with these few
    > > first thankyou very much.....GG
    > Yes, you can get married while here in the USA, no special license
    > required. You would then stay your allowed visit time, then return to
    > your home country for visa processing. If you wanted to visit again in
    > the meantime, it's allowed, you will just have to bring proof to show at
    > the POE that you do not intend to immigrate on the visit.
    > You can do the K-1 if you prefer. Just depends on whether you'd rather
    > be separated while engaged, or separated while married. The K-1 might
    > be a bit quicker to get you into the USA, but then there is a boatload
    > of more paperwork and waiting once in the USA.
    > The CR-1 spouse immigrant visa is the quicker way to the green card
    > in hand, even if it takes a little longer for you to actually get
    > to the USA.
    > All depends on your particular situation, which you prefer.
    >
    > Best Wishes,
    > Rene
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can get married while here in the USA, no special license required.
Have you noticed that the writing style looks somewhat familar... like you've seen it somewhere before?

Ian
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by georgousgirlz
super! ty very much...thats given me areal head start!...I,m wondering
also..i did read that I perphaps would,nt have to wait to move over
there for the marriage visa and not sure if i have this correct or
not.but a visa named k..? which would apparently allow me to go
there asap and work whilst waiting for the marriage visa..?? wether i
have this wrapped round my neck or not !!......lol..i,m not actually
sure...and also..i would be wanting my daughter to join me who is under
21..which process would i need to bring her through under?....Our plans
were maybe to marry in a civial ceramony...to start then a yr to the
day ..a big weddding for us and friends and family..but with question
to the civial..i guess its just amatter of arranging at date with..is
it the justice of peace..??and am i to assume correct it would be the
passport and birth certificate documention that would be required for
the marriage?..........and the only other information that concerned
me was something about entering the country with intent to marry.could
this cause any problems for me..??thankyou everso much and once again
sorry for the bombardment!.............GG
Actually, you have so many questions, you'd most likely be better off having a consultation with an immigration attorney, so she can help you get the facts straight. You can ask her about your intent issue at that time.

You can also read the FAQs over on the marriage-based forum section of this site, the FAQs over on www.visajourney.com, and the details on how your spouse can bring you to the USA on www.uscis.gov.

As for what you will need in order to marry in the USA, do a search on line for the regulations according to the state you will marry in. Each state is different.

There's a lot to the process, several different stages, so you have to be clear first on what you want, which method to choose, and then how to proceed with that method.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Have you noticed that the writing style looks somewhat familar... like you've seen it somewhere before?

Ian
Yep!! I did notice that!

Rene
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: can i marry my fiance whilst on holiday there?and what are the contra-indications

Actually, you have so many questions, you'd most likely be better off having a consultation with an immigration attorney, so she can help you get the facts straight. You can ask her about your intent issue at that time.

You can also read the FAQs over on the marriage-based forum section of this site, the FAQs over on www.visajourney.com, and the details on how your spouse can bring you to the USA on www.uscis.gov.

As for what you will need in order to marry in the USA, do a search on line for the regulations according to the state you will marry in. Each state is different.

There's a lot to the process, several different stages, so you have to be clear first on what you want, which method to choose, and then how to proceed with that method.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Rene:

You usually excercise a modicum of caution and discretion in ansering questions. As to the OP's first post here, I feel you didn't. Just a gentle chide in that I consider an aberation.

BTW, I've got a short Master Calendar next month in Immigration Court in your neck of the woods. Case originated in Phoenix, venue changed, and now has changed back. All I can say is that Phoenix CIS [and I know the difference between ICE and CIS, thank you] is totally nuts. They are making me some good money on this case, but they are totally nuts.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Rene:

You usually excercise a modicum of caution and discretion in ansering questions. As to the OP's first post here, I feel you didn't. Just a gentle chide in that I consider an aberation.

BTW, I've got a short Master Calendar next month in Immigration Court in your neck of the woods. Case originated in Phoenix, venue changed, and now has changed back. All I can say is that Phoenix CIS [and I know the difference between ICE and CIS, thank you] is totally nuts. They are making me some good money on this case, but they are totally nuts.
Thanks Mr F, sorry about that.

If you're going to be here at lunch or dinner time, and you have time, go up to North Scottsdale (Scottsdale Rd and Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd), to a restaurant called The Persian Room. It's the BEST Persian food...even better than LA's, in my opinion.

Rene
Old Sep 1st 2006, 4:24 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Oh lord - now you mention it...!
Old Sep 1st 2006, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
You usually excercise a modicum of caution and discretion in ansering questions. As to the OP's first post here, I feel you didn't.
We think it may not be her first post.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 6:23 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
We think it may not be her first post.

I'm feeling quite "sparkly" today - Clue
Old Sep 1st 2006, 6:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
I'm feeling quite "sparkly" today - Clue
d'oh, and I needed the clue. Bonus points to all of you who got it without the benefit if IP checking.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=sparklylorna
Old Sep 1st 2006, 6:45 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
d'oh, and I needed the clue. Bonus points to all of you who got it without the benefit if IP checking.

Actually I knew it from the first post, but you never know quite where the show will go do you
Old Sep 1st 2006, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna

And minus points to those of us who coulda shoulda checked IP first, before posting! LOL

Rene