Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can I go to a different USCIS office for biometrics

Wikiposts

Can I go to a different USCIS office for biometrics

Old Jan 30th 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

alina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nice
Default Can I go to a different USCIS office for biometrics

Hello,
Can anyone help me with my questions.
I got fingerprints notice for Feb. 9 in my local USCIS office. (Des Moines)
I'm planning to move on Feb. 6 to Wisconsin.

In order for me to get to the appointment I have to drive about 6 hours back to Des Moines.
I know about early walk ins, but it will not work for me I do not want to go early.

Do I have any other options? I really do not want to reschedule it .

Is there is any way I can go to my new local office in Wisconsin? (15 min. drive for me)
I will also try to call customer line and see what they say. I wish I can just
go to my new office, but I'm not sure I can do so.

Thank you
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I go to a different USCIS office for biometrics

Originally Posted by alina97
I could be wrong, but you may be required to reside in the new district for 3 months before you can avail yourself of any benefits. That may or may not affect your ability to have biometrics done there in a timely manner.

I know about early walk ins, but it will not work for me I do not want to go early.
Y'know... you don't always have to do things the hard way and make it more difficult on yourself!

Ian
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Can anyone help me with my questions.
I got fingerprints notice for Feb. 9 in my local USCIS office. (Des Moines)

In order for me to get to the appointment I have to drive about 6 hours back to Des Moines.

Do I have any other options? I really do not want to reschedule it .

Is there is any way I can go to my new local office in Wisconsin? (15 min. drive for me)
I will also try to call customer line and see what they say. I wish I can just
go to my new office, but I'm not sure I can do so.

Thank you
Alina,

With so many constraints its hard to suggest anything. Solution: INFOPASS.

Thanks for ur PM.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

okalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really nice

Alina,

When i applied for my EAD in 2007 i had biometrics in Oklahoma city. However, at that time i was spending time with my inlaws in Florida. So i went to the office in Jacksonville instead and did my biometrics there. Just take an ID with you that doesn't show your address (i.e travel document, passport, greencard, etc) and hopefully they won't have a problem letting you in.

The security guard saw my driver's license and told me i can't do my biometrics but I explained to him my circumstances and he let me in. So to try to save the hassle, dont show him your address, and if he notices the address on your biometrics form, explain to him that you have just moved )and try to have anything with you that proves the fact that you now have a new address. A printed CHANGE-OF-ADDRESS form will hopefully suffice.

I wish you the best! Let us know how it goes.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond reputelostlove has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by okalian
Alina,

When i applied for my EAD in 2007 i had biometrics in Oklahoma city. However, at that time i was spending time with my inlaws in Florida. So i went to the office in Jacksonville instead and did my biometrics there. Just take an ID with you that doesn't show your address (i.e travel document, passport, greencard, etc) and hopefully they won't have a problem letting you in.

The security guard saw my driver's license and told me i can't do my biometrics but I explained to him my circumstances and he let me in. So to try to save the hassle, dont show him your address, and if he notices the address on your biometrics form, explain to him that you have just moved )and try to have anything with you that proves the fact that you now have a new address. A printed CHANGE-OF-ADDRESS form will hopefully suffice.

o:

Its nice to see new innovative ideas that get the job done.

Good post!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:42 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Alina

As Ian noted, you always seem to do things the hard way. I understand why you filed for naturalization when you did but you have created problems now for yourself in that process what with your anticipated moving.

I'm not an attorney but I've seen what problems arise with a change of address with the USCIS during a pending process. Go for the biometrics in the office assigned to you. Walk in early and get it over and done with before you move.

As soon as you move,

1. File the AR-11 for change of address with Homeland Security. Call the 1-800 USCIS mis-information number and change your address with them.

2. If you are still within the jurisdiction of the same Service Center, write them with your new address, include a copy of your NOA for your filed application for naturalization and a copy of your biometrics receipt, and

3. send a copy to both your old district office and your new district office with copies of the same documentation

4. Complete a change of address and forwarding instructions with the US Postal Service

5. Pray.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

okalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really niceokalian is just really nice

Put much emphasis on step 5
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you want to go early? That would be the best and easiest way to get this done.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2010, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Why don't you want to go early? That would be the best and easiest way to get this done.

Rene
Yeah the best would be to go in early, finish it off, and put it aside.

I have come across many folk who get biometrics early without any problems.

Is there a bad omen attached to early biometrics, Alina?
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

alina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nicealina97 is just really nice

Thank you everybody for the answers,
I will have to think about it.
The reason I do not want to go early - as far as I understood they might not let you in anyway, so if this is the case I will have to go again. From the other side it is probably the best option for me - to go early.

Thank you again, I will think about it.
I did find more stories about walk-ins in a different office.
I will try to call customer service tomorrow and may be go for an early walk in in my local office since I'm still here.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lostlove
Is there a bad omen attached to early biometrics, Alina?
Not that I know I'm just lazy to drive 2 times in case they won't let me in, especially with my 2 years old it's not too much fun
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by okalian
Alina,

It does sound very logical, this is what I had in mind myself, just take the proof of my new residence and go... but it is still a risk.
Thank you for the reply, I will think about it
Old Jan 31st 2010, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Alina

As Ian noted, you always seem to do things the hard way. I understand why you filed for naturalization when you did but you have created problems now for yourself in that process what with your anticipated moving.

I'm not an attorney but I've seen what problems arise with a change of address with the USCIS during a pending process. Go for the biometrics in the office assigned to you. Walk in early and get it over and done with before you move.

As soon as you move,

1. File the AR-11 for change of address with Homeland Security. Call the 1-800 USCIS mis-information number and change your address with them.

2. If you are still within the jurisdiction of the same Service Center, write them with your new address, include a copy of your NOA for your filed application for naturalization and a copy of your biometrics receipt, and

3. send a copy to both your old district office and your new district office with copies of the same documentation

4. Complete a change of address and forwarding instructions with the US Postal Service

5. Pray.
Thanks Rete,
Now I do not even have to think what to do, just follow your step by step instructions
Old Feb 1st 2010, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

notkim is just really nicenotkim is just really nicenotkim is just really nicenotkim is just really nicenotkim is just really nicenotkim is just really nicenotkim is just really nicenotkim is just really nice

Alina,

I know someone who had filed her I-751 in one state (NC) and moved to another state (NJ), but since the address did not get updated with USCIS, they send her a Biometric appointment notice for NC.

She went in before the appointment date to the NJ office with her ID and the letter and was finger printed. No questions asked.

I would suggest go in advance, because every office is diff. In case if they deny to take your Biometrics (which I dont think will happen, but you never know), atleast you have enough time to either change address and request a new appointment at the Wisconsin office OR go to Iowa for the original one (which I am 99% sure you will not have to do).

I am sure the Wisconsin office will accomodate you.

Kim
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by notkim
Alina,

I know someone who had filed her I-751 in one state (NC) and moved to another state (NJ), but since the address did not get updated with USCIS, they send her a Biometric appointment notice for NC.

She went in before the appointment date to the NJ office with her ID and the letter and was finger printed. No questions asked.

I would suggest go in advance, because every office is diff. In case if they deny to take your Biometrics (which I dont think will happen, but you never know), atleast you have enough time to either change address and request a new appointment at the Wisconsin office OR go to Iowa for the original one (which I am 99% sure you will not have to do).

I am sure the Wisconsin office will accomodate you.

Kim
Thank you Kim, I decided to go tomorrow to Des Moines, hopefully they will let me do it 1 week earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.