Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can anyone give me advice

Can anyone give me advice

Old Aug 14th 2005, 7:31 am
Just Joined

kowgirl67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone give me advice

My fiancee is American and is in a US prison. I would like to move to the states until he is released and can move over here with me.
Can I go over there on a visit and marry him then apply for a visa when I get back? Will this improve our chances of being accepted rather than doing it as a fiancee? Would anyone reccommend just moving on a temp visa and sorting it out once I'm in the states?
Any advice much appreciated.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 4:24 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone give me advice

Originally Posted by kowgirl67
My fiancee is American and is in a US prison. I would like to move to the states until he is released and can move over here with me.
Can I go over there on a visit and marry him then apply for a visa when I get back? Will this improve our chances of being accepted rather than doing it as a fiancee? Would anyone reccommend just moving on a temp visa and sorting it out once I'm in the states?
Any advice much appreciated.
The problem you will have is firstly, going over on a Visa Waiver and marrying is never a wise idea. You would be lying on the quastions when you fill them in regarding intent. More importantly, he isnt able to sponsor you based on his current rather meagre earnings, and as such he couldnt support you.

You may want to chat this over with an Immigration lawyer. Another good forum you could try is www.prisontalk.com. Go to the forum section and there is one for Immigration, some great people there. Its a useful site as it explains the whole process of marrying a prisoner.

Good luck

Carl.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can anyone give me advice

There was no mention of eligibility for VWP

But you can use a Visitors Visa to enter US, Marry and leave.

Fiancee or Spouse, makes no difference from the immigrant visa perspective.