Wikiposts

Brit being deported

Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:53 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit being deported

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

It is inherent in the organization of DHS. CIS is the adjudication people while ICE and, to a certain extent, CBP are the enforcement people. CIS does not arrest people, but ICE does.
V. good, counselor!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

A petty theft offense CAN get you deported -- if it is the second one. Kind of an early "two strikes and you are out." I've have found that a description coming for the victim and her lawyer given to the press should be taken with a grain of salt.

I do remember that we were taught in our immigration class that anyone who is a PR or has an application pending should NOT plead to any crime without first obtaining advice from an attorney specializing in immigration and criminal law. Even a crime of petty shoplifting is grounds for deportation if not pleaded to correctly.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 5:07 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I do remember that we were taught in our immigration class that anyone who is a PR or has an application pending should NOT plead to any crime without first obtaining advice from an attorney specializing in immigration and criminal law. Even a crime of petty shoplifting is grounds for deportation if not pleaded to correctly.
And most PRs don't know this. Wouldn't even think of it. And as we see on this board, many PRs think that the little multi-presidented card grants them a safe haven from immigration.

So, to the PRs out there: If you want to stick around, get your citizenship. The rules and policies change frequently, rarely in your favor.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 9:08 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I highly doubt this person was caught the first time and only time they stole something. It's more likely that ripping off people's credit card numbers was a way of life. I say good riddance to her. I'm sure most of those who have had their hard earned property stolen would agree that she deserves to get removed from the US. She should have considered the consequences and kept her grubby hands to herself.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
I highly doubt this person was caught the first time and only time they stole something. It's more likely that ripping off people's credit card numbers was a way of life. I say good riddance to her. I'm sure most of those who have had their hard earned property stolen would agree that she deserves to get removed from the US. She should have considered the consequences and kept her grubby hands to herself.
Why is that more likely? What do you know about the situation that nobody else does?

So whats your attitude..once someone commits a crime they can never ever be rehabilitated? If that is the case we may as well just throw everyone in prison for life as soon as they commit any crime..surely thats the logical conclusion of your argument isnt it?

I've had my credit card ripped off more than once, and believe me I was incredibly angry, but I dont think in this case she deserves to have her life torn apart by it. According to the article (which is all the info we have to go on, including you) she hasnt commited any crime since then and it doesnt mention anything about previous convictions. I've never stolen anything in my life, but I wouldnt hold something as minor as this against her for the rest of their life, especially considering it happened when she was still a teenager.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:02 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Why is that more likely? What do you know about the situation that nobody else does?

So whats your attitude..once someone commits a crime they can never ever be rehabilitated? If that is the case we may as well just throw everyone in prison for life as soon as they commit any crime..surely thats the logical conclusion of your argument isnt it?

I've had my credit card ripped off more than once, and believe me I was incredibly angry, but I dont think in this case she deserves to have her life torn apart by it. According to the article (which is all the info we have to go on, including you) she hasnt commited any crime since then and it doesnt mention anything about previous convictions. I've never stolen anything in my life, but I wouldnt hold something as minor as this against her for the rest of their life, especially considering it happened when she was still a teenager.
She may be one of the few people to get arrested the first time they commit a crime. I doubt it. Just because she only got convicted one time doesn't mean that she only committed one crime. I've had things stolen from me too and we all pay high prices for credit cards and goods due to these thefts. Maybe if a few more people get deported it will deter others from offending. We have enough criminals in the US already. We don't have to import any more.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Brit being deported

Agreed. If I remember right, the INA does allow a rehabilitation period of 15 yrs from date of conviction but only if one offense is committed and no similar case since. Of course in her case, she's well within that 15yr period.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Brit being deported

She may be one of the few people to get arrested the first time they commit a crime. I doubt it. Just because she only got convicted one time doesn't mean that she only committed one crime. I've had things stolen from me too and we all pay high prices for credit cards and goods due to these thefts. Maybe if a few more people get deported it will deter others from offending. We have enough criminals in the US already. We don't have to import any more.
Isn't that what the death penalty is supposed to do? Deter people from killing others. Doesn't seem to have worked too well eh?
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I love reading the comments below these kind of stories. It really does showcase the utter stupidity, ignorance, and occasionally downright racism of some people. Thats not a swipe at Americans, it's the same when you read the comments below immigration stories in the daily mail...

"Judging from her kids, she appears to have a love of Africa. Send her there. "
Most of the comments I have read have been sympathetic (see here, for example).

The reason why racist comments tend to be more common on US sites may be that over there you don't usually risk being arrested by the Thought Police for uttering them.

I highly doubt this person was caught the first time and only time they stole something. It's more likely that ripping off people's credit card numbers was a way of life. I say good riddance to her.
Judging from the few (admittedly sympathetic) news articles I've read, that seems to be her first and only offense. I'm all for taking a very hard line on criminals but she seems to be a model citizen now, and her offense took place 13 years ago when she was 18. I hope she'll be able to stay.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Again, why do you doubt it? Any evidence or just your own angry opinion? Do you not understand the point I am making? I'm not saying what she did was right by any means, but if we simply place a lifetime judgement on anyone that has ever committed a crime we will simply have more criminals. She was 19. Yes, she was nearly an adult but people mature at different stages. I'm sure many people at that age have done fooish things whether it's drink driving, getting pregnant, taking drugs etc etc. What she did was bad, but she shouldnt pay for it with her life being turned upside down.

You have the death penalty in the US and that doesnt seem to deter offending. I dont think the threat of deportation would be much of a preventative measure.

Also, she has been in the US since she was 7...I'd say she was more of a product of the US than the UK...
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Marocco;6655155]Most of the comments I have read have been sympathetic (see here, for example).

The reason why racist comments tend to be more common on US sites may be that over there you don't usually risk being arrested by the Thought Police for uttering them.

QUOTE]

I've never heard of anyone being arrested for posting racist messages on a website. I agree that the UK is way too PC, but I'd rather people were to speak up against racist comments. The one that I quoted about 'her love of africa so send her there' just because her kids are mixed race..not I'm not saying anyone should be arrested for it, but it shouldnt be acceptable either.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 1:35 am
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Isn't that what the death penalty is supposed to do? Deter people from killing others. Doesn't seem to have worked too well eh?
Who knows if the death penalty works or not. The death penalty may be too time consuming, expensive and error-prone, but that's for each state to decide. I don't feel that strongly either way. I think if someone is in jail for life already they may need a reason not to kill a guard though.

She offended at 19, was put into removal proceedings at 25. Of course she will stay out of trouble from 25 to 31 because she's in proceedings. For some reason they decided to hit her with a *felony* and didn't plead it out to a misdemeanor. There is something more to this story that they're not telling us.

I've seen articles like this before where they're pulling heart strings about some poor guy who's being deported and his USC wife is sick with cancer. The article failed to mention that the guy has convictions for narcotics trafficking.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who knows if the death penalty works or not. The death penalty may be too time consuming, expensive and error-prone, but that's for each state to decide. I don't feel that strongly either way. I think if someone is in jail for life already they may need a reason not to kill a guard though.

She offended at 19, was put into removal proceedings at 25. Of course she will stay out of trouble from 25 to 31 because she's in proceedings. For some reason they decided to hit her with a *felony* and didn't plead it out to a misdemeanor. There is something more to this story that they're not telling us.

I've seen articles like this before where they're pulling heart strings about some poor guy who's being deported and his USC wife is sick with cancer. The article failed to mention that the guy has convictions for narcotics trafficking.
I would agree, and on the Death Penalty, well I have never heard of a repeat offender.

There is a balance, UK you think WTF, US may well go too far the other way, always will be a tricky one.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:50 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Agreed. If I remember right, the INA does allow a rehabilitation period of 15 yrs from date of conviction but only if one offense is committed and no similar case since. Of course in her case, she's well within that 15yr period.
Hi:

This is true for a waiver of "inadmissiblity" which is a different creature -- and this is get permanent residence in the first place. There is a beastie called "seven year cancellation" which may or may not apply.

As I mentioned before, I think there may very well be facts not in the story -- it should be noted that when a reporter will call about a specific case, the DHS and, if applicable, the Immigration Court will clam up citing privacy concerns. [Funny thing is that this doesn't stop ICE from conducting "look, see what a great job we are doing!" press conferences. But, I digress]. So, it is the alien and her attorney who are providing the information.

I have seen cases where ICE is off its rocker, but I've also seen cases where the bust is a righteous one under the law. [Perhaps they should have exercised some prosecutorial discretion, but that is another issue].
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

........[Perhaps they should have exercised some prosecutorial discretion, but that is another issue].
I like that.

Useful to remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.