Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Birth certificate and change of name

Birth certificate and change of name

Old Jun 29th 2003, 1:35 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Birth certificate and change of name

Has anyone had any experience with a change of name deed presented at the interview? My birth certificate has my original name, and is the only document I have that uses that name. I have a change of name deed drawn up in the UK at a solicitor and signed by a witness, and every other document is in my current/new name. Will I have any problems tallying up my original name with my change of name deed? In the UK the change of name deed is not a very professional looking document and there is no standard form. Can anyone forsee any difficulties presenting it at the interview? I'd like to sort out any potential problem before I get to interview. I called the Deed Poll office, and they told me that as long as the document is legal in the UK then the Americans have to accept it. Is this true?
Old Jul 1st 2003, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point

Well...as long as you have that legal documents from UK I think that will be fine.

While browsing another forum last time I saw a very good advise (but quite late for me since I already submit my application). Remember in the form they ask "Do you have any other name"....well just fill that other name there. But well....anyhow, hope things will go fine as long you can convince the person who interview you. I have 'similar' problem, but I hope I can deal with it.

Its hard to say, since I read some ppl can get away with it, and some ppl got problems just because the different name in the Birth Certificate. Whatever it is, get ready with complete documents.

If you think this still worry you, just prepare 2 affidavits from your parents or relatives and mentioned about the change of name in it and make sure its notarized. That way, you have something else as evidence (which I think a good strategy in case they might ask). That what I do. Just be prepared.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 2:45 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your advice, rzack. That's a really good idea about the notarized statement from my parents. Maybe I'll do that to be sure.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

denno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Thank you for your advice, rzack. That's a really good idea about the notarized statement from my parents. Maybe I'll do that to be sure.
Hey Rockgurl, just remembering how tight they were at my interview on things name related, I would also suggest that to be safe you get a police certificate for both names. Just to avoid the scenario of "Well we know you didn't commit any crime under this name but what about the other one?"

D.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:51 pm
Rock Goddess

Do you think it's worth it, denno? I haven't used my original name since I was 2 years old! I have only really ever used my present surname as my mother remarried when I was very young.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

I think that would depend on the date of the Deed Poll, if its dated when you were an infant, then I would say no problem, if it is dated later in life then, I would recommend a police certificate in both names
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:29 pm
Rock Goddess

Thanks Simon, it's dated 1986, as my mother never bothered to get it done properly until I went to college. I will do as you say and get a police check in both names.

What if I get my change of name deed notarized by a notary public? Would that help?
Old Jul 1st 2003, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

denno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Thanks Simon, it's dated 1986, as my mother never bothered to get it done properly until I went to college. I will do as you say and get a police check in both names.

What if I get my change of name deed notarized by a notary public? Would that help?
I'd say its definitely worth doing, its just one less thing that could be a problem on the day. Do you have your interview date yet? If you do, you could call the consulate and ask them what kind of documentation they will require (they may need to think about it). I don't think this will be a real problem for you, the worse case scenario is that it will simply delay it a bit so thats why if you can address it at all beforehand you should.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

rzack is an unknown quantity at this point

Rockgurl,

Don't think about it too much! You just get a headache by doing that (that what my hubby always told me), heheh.

So just do whatever necessary like 2 notarize affidavits clearly stated the change your name in it. And if you still not happy with it you can do what other suggested.

At the interview, they always asked for original birth certificate. So make sure you bring it even if its a different name. Thats why you need the affidavits. But you as you said, you already had the deed documents about the change of your name. When they change it, does it mentioned your original name in it? Like from first name to second name? If it does, its solve your problem right away.

So, start prepare your affidavits . Good luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 7:50 am
Rock Goddess

Thanx...I will definitely get it notarized. It does mention my original name, and states that I am denouncing it in favour of my new one, but I think I am just worried because it doesn't look particularly professional. It's typed up and has a red dot as a stamp but doesn't state a solicitors name or a logo/headed notepaper or anything. It does have my signature and that of a witness.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 7:55 am
Rock Goddess

Originally posted by denno
I'd say its definitely worth doing, its just one less thing that could be a problem on the day. Do you have your interview date yet? If you do, you could call the consulate and ask them what kind of documentation they will require (they may need to think about it). I don't think this will be a real problem for you, the worse case scenario is that it will simply delay it a bit so thats why if you can address it at all beforehand you should.
I don't have my interview date yet, but I am expecting it within the next two weeks. I checked online at the US embassy London site but couldn't find anything about it. I am terrified of one small little thing causing a problem at the interview, as I've spent so many months trying to organize my paperwork perfectly. This is why I am trying to find out if this document is acceptable. If they delayed me because of this I think I will just sit down and cry!
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 10:23 am
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi rockgirl

My husband also changed his name many years ago, we had no problems with regards to our interview at the Embassy, and just supplied the Change of name document from our solicitors.

It wasnt queried at all!!

Good luck

Debbie
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 4:43 pm
Rock Goddess

That's great Debbie...thanx. It makes me feel a lot better! Would you mind if I asked you...does your husband's change of name document have a name of a solicitor on it, either a logo or a signature, and does it have a seal or stamp? Did he have to have a witness sign it as well? I ask because mine doesn't have a solicitor's name on it, only a seal. My mother swears it was done at a solicitors but they don't exist anymore.
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 11:17 am
Just Joined

debs36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rockgirl

It has got a seal on it and was witnessed at the solicitors office, only by there staff though.

Maybe you should run it by a local solicitor to check if its all fine and dandy.

Im sure they wont object to this is they will probably charge you a cash fee of around £25.00 - i believe(this was years ago) and they all came running out of there offices ready to sign and pocket the money!!! (solicitors never change)

HAHA

When is your interview?
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 3:33 pm
Rock Goddess

Thanx again Debbie. I will make an appointment with the solicitor and get him to check it over. Luckily, my Mum called last night to tell me she had found her original passport that had me on it as well when I was just a tot, and it has both our old name and our new name on it, so it looks like I've got the all-important document. I shouldn't have any problems now but I will still get the ded poll validated and notarized.

I haven't got my interview date yet, but I am expecting it within the next two weeks. Fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.