Big Question

Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:09 am
Just Joined

latininNJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Big Question

Ok. Hi.

I'm going to file an I-130 for my wife and my son.

Do I have to file one for each one?

He's my biological son, but I don't meet the requirements for the report of birth abroad.

Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2004, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

elga is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Big Question

Originally Posted by latininNJ
Ok. Hi.

He's my biological son, but I don't meet the requirements for the report of birth abroad.

Thanks
If you're intending to file for a K3 and a K4 Visa you will not need a I-130 filed on behalf of both at that point of time. Before or while adjusting for the child's status (AOS) a seperate I-130 should be filed on behalf of the child, too, however.
A spouse's I-130 will be sufficient for your wife and your/her son will have a derivative status through the I-129F which is the application for the K3/K4 Visa.
If you don't intend to apply for K3 and K4 Visas you should file a seperate petition on behalf of both immediately.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 12:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. Hi.

Thanks

Could you explain what requirements you don't meet to file the birth of your son at the US Consulate aboard? You are a US citizen or aren't you?

Rete
Old Sep 14th 2004, 3:40 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

latin,

If your son really cannot claim US citizenship then you need to file a separate I-130 for each person.

Regards, JEff

Ok. Hi.

Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2004, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

latininNJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Could you explain what requirements you don't meet to file the birth of your son at the US Consulate aboard? You are a US citizen or aren't you?

Rete
Well the only requirment i dont meet is the two year physical presence prior to his birth.

Maybe you won't believe it but before he was born I lived in Venezuela for about 12 years since my 12th birthday, so that means I dont meet that requirment of two year presence after my 14th birthday.

Now, I do have the 2 year presence but after he was born. So, he has 2 years old and I have two years here.

Is there anything I could do?
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:32 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Well the only requirment i dont meet is the two year physical presence prior to his birth.

Maybe you won't believe it but before he was born I lived in Venezuela for about 12 years since my 12th birthday, so that means I dont meet that requirment of two year presence after my 14th birthday.

Now, I do have the 2 year presence but after he was born. So, he has 2 years old and I have two years here.

Is there anything I could do?

On the surface it looks like there's not much you can do about it. The USCIS page on this subject says:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/faq.htm#q2

WHO IS BORN A UNITED STATES CITIZEN?
(3) Through birth abroad to ONE United States citizen

In most cases, you are a U.S. citizen if ALL of the following are true:

* One of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born;
* Your citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before you were born; and
* At least 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after your citizen parent's 14th birthday.

Noticed that I added emphasis to the "in most cases" part -- which means there are SOME cases where it does not apply. What those cases are, I don't know, but a good immigration attorney might. I suggest consulting one.

~ Jenney
Old Sep 14th 2004, 11:35 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Jenny,

I would interpret that "in most case" to mean that sometimes a person will still not be a US citizen even if all of the criteria are met. Worse for latininNJ, not more hopeful.

I agree that it might be worth a consultation with an immigration attorney for him, but it does sound as though he has a realistic view of his situation and is proceeding accordingly.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
On the surface it looks like there's not much you can do about it. The USCIS page on this subject says:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/faq.htm#q2

WHO IS BORN A UNITED STATES CITIZEN?
(3) Through birth abroad to ONE United States citizen

In most cases, you are a U.S. citizen if ALL of the following are true:

* One of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born;
* Your citizen parent lived at least 5 years in the United States before you were born; and
* At least 2 of these 5 years in the United States were after your citizen parent's 14th birthday.

Noticed that I added emphasis to the "in most cases" part -- which means there are SOME cases where it does not apply. What those cases are, I don't know, but a good immigration attorney might. I suggest consulting one.

~ Jenney