Best way!

Old Jan 10th 2018, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

theroon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best way!

Thanks Tom. You're right - we need to complete the I-130.
We live in London and we can file at an office here. I've just had another look...total costs should be $1200.
Anybody have any further info?

Thanks.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 2:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theroon
Thanks Tom. You're right - we need to complete the I-130.
We live in London and we can file at an office here. I've just had another look...total costs should be $1200.
Anybody have any further info?

Thanks.
Fees will be for: I-130, Immigrant Visa, and Green Card production. I'm not current with what they all cost these days.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of the medical exam.

Rene
Old Jan 10th 2018, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much. Just piecing it all together.
My girlfriend has lived and worked in the UK for the past four years. She hasn't been paying tax in the US as far as I know. Is this an essential part of the visa application? If so, what are the options?
Thanks in advance everybody.
Old Jan 10th 2018, 4:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much. Just piecing it all together.
My girlfriend has lived and worked in the UK for the past four years. She hasn't been paying tax in the US as far as I know. Is this an essential part of the visa application? If so, what are the options?
Thanks in advance everybody.
Yes it's essential that she file at least the most recent 3 years prior to the visa interview. Copies of her US tax returns are part of the I-864 Affidavit of Support requirement.

As a USC, she is required to file a US tax return and report her worldwide income. She probably won't have to pay any tax, but she's required to report the income.

Www.irs.gov.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2018, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi everybody,

Yet another question. So, I(ukc) plan to marry my UKC/USC girlfriend in April/May this year, in London. We will then start the CR-1 process using the DCF option, hopefully getting the visa by the end of 2018. We would then like to travel in central America for a few months before heading to live in California permanently. Would that time spent in Central America 'eat' into my two year conditional green card, or would the 2 year period start once I arrive in California? I hope I have explained the situation clearly enough to get some good advice!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 6:57 pm

The 2- year conditional status begins when you first set foot in the USA using your immigrant visa.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2018, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody,

Yet another question. So, I(ukc) plan to marry my UKC/USC girlfriend in April/May this year, in London. We will then start the CR-1 process using the DCF option, hopefully getting the visa by the end of 2018. We would then like to travel in central America for a few months before heading to live in California permanently. Would that time spent in Central America 'eat' into my two year conditional green card, or would the 2 year period start once I arrive in California? I hope I have explained the situation clearly enough to get some good advice!

Thanks in advance for your help.
I would be interested to know why it would matter whether your conditional GC had 22 or 24 months on it, it would still need to have conditions removed eventually!

Your green card won't actually be issued until you have entered the US. Following approval at interview your passport will be retained by the embassy and have an CR1 visa inserted into it this is the bit that gives you leave to enter the US (bearing in mind that an entry officer can turn you back if he doesn't like the cut of your jib!). I believe you have a year to use the CR1 visa, i.e. enter the US, at which point your conditional residency period starts.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I believe you have a year to use the CR1 visa, i.e. enter the US...
No, the CR-1 visa will only be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical exam. Since the medical exam is best done a week or 2 before the visa interview, this means the visa will be valid more like 5 and a half months. The earlier the medical, the less time the visa is valid.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2018, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No, the CR-1 visa will only be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical exam. Since the medical exam is best done a week or 2 before the visa interview, this means the visa will be valid more like 5 and a half months. The earlier the medical, the less time the visa is valid.

Rene
Ah, that's right.
I now remember timings griefs. Didn't want to get the police documents sorted too early in case of interview delay, nor sort out medical too early (ie. before receiving a date for interview) because I'd then have committed myself to a six month window post-medical.
I believed at the time it might hurry the process along if I were to get everything done that needed to be as soon as possible but this forum, especially Ian, put me right!!
Old Jan 14th 2018, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

So...it is not GC I need to worry about but the CR 1 time limit? If I get the CR1 in November 2018 I have until April 2019 to enter the US? Conditional GC will then be issued?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

So...it is not GC I need to worry about but the CR 1 time limit? If I get the CR1 in November 2018 I have until April 2019 to enter the US? Conditional GC will then be issued?

Thanks in advance
You have until 6 months after the medical date to enter the US.

Then you'd become a conditional permanent resident.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks - very helpful.

Could I go to Central America, travel to US within the 6 months timeframe, get CGC and then return to Central America without any issues?
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:36 pm

So...it is not GC I need to worry about but the CR 1 time limit?
Yes.

If I get the CR1 in November 2018 I have until April 2019 to enter the US?
Roughly, yes, depending on when the medical exam was done.

Conditional GC will then be issued?
Yes.

Could I go to Central America, travel to US within the 6 months timeframe, get CGC and then return to Central America without any issues?
Yes. When you enter the USA using your CR-1 visa, your visa will be endorsed with a stamp stating that it's valid as proof of permanent resident status. It will be valid for 1 year. You can immediately leave the airport if you wanted to. The plastic green card will be mailed to your US address within a month or so. The Conditional part of your status doesn't really make any difference when you enter the USA; you will still be a permanent resident. It's just that in 2 years you need to file a form and pay a fee to remove conditions.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 14th 2018 at 12:40 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for such clear and thorough advice.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Hi everybody,

Yet another question! There isn't a time limit on when you marry and when you file is there? I mean if we get married in May and then file in June, for example? We've been together for 4 years and can obviously prove that. Just hope it wouldn't go against us in any way.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.