Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Beginning the immigration process to the U.S.

Beginning the immigration process to the U.S.

Old May 21st 2018, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Rodweller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beginning the immigration process to the U.S.

Hiya, my husband (British) and I (American) are just beginning the immigration process to the U.S. I've done a lot of research and read the experiences of others in this forum...wow, so much to do! It was so much easier getting a visa to live in the UK.

I have lived in the UK for 15 years, so obviously I don't have any proof of domicile in the U.S. I do not have a job lined up, but have solid options once I arrive back in the U.S. Therefore, we will need a sponsor for my husband, which is covered. My question is, will I be expected to move over without my husband and get a job and home before he's allowed over? Or would we be able to stay with a relative?

Thank you for any help/advice 😊
Old May 21st 2018, 4:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginning the immigration process to the U.S.

Hi and welcome to BE. You are still your husband's financial sponsor (even if you don't qualify financially), so you still have to complete an I-864. You can use a joint sponsor, though, who completes a separate I-864. Sounds like you have this covered.

Have you been working in the UK and have you been filing US tax returns? You'll need at least the most current 3 years of returns.

You can show "intent to domicile in the USA", which is basically showing how you will cut ties to the UK and establish ties in the USA. Your husband might not even be asked for this proof at the interview, but good to have just in case.

You do not have to move ahead of him. You can stay with relatives once you guys arrive in the USA....USCIS doesn't care where you live.

Rene
Old May 21st 2018, 4:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodweller
Hiya, my husband (British) and I (American) are just beginning the immigration process to the U.S. I've done a lot of research and read the experiences of others in this forum...wow, so much to do! It was so much easier getting a visa to live in the UK.

I have lived in the UK for 15 years, so obviously I don't have any proof of domicile in the U.S. I do not have a job lined up, but have solid options once I arrive back in the U.S. Therefore, we will need a sponsor for my husband, which is covered. My question is, will I be expected to move over without my husband and get a job and home before he's allowed over? Or would we be able to stay with a relative?

Thank you for any help/advice 😊
No, you can stay in the UK and enter the US together once he obtains his IR-1 Visa. You either have to enter with him or enter before him. He cannot enter before you. That's the only stipulations
Old May 21st 2018, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Norrah101, I feel BE will be a great help for us as we go through this proces.

Oh my gosh, no I've never filed a US tax return! I've worked pretty much since I arrived in the UK, so what do I have to do to rectify this?

Thanks for the advice x

Last edited by Rodweller; May 21st 2018 at 6:24 pm.
Old May 21st 2018, 8:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rodweller
Oh my gosh, no I've never filed a US tax return! I've worked pretty much since I arrived in the UK, so what do I have to do to rectify this?
File at least the most recent 3 years of US tax returns. www.irs.gov.

Rene
Old May 21st 2018, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Rene, you've been a great help.

Alice