Banking on a K1

Old Dec 11th 2003, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

cutenurse300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Banking on a K1

Hi Sibsie,

I opened a bankaccount in the US about a year ago,got even an ATM card without any problem at all!!!!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:38 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cutenurse300
Hi Sibsie,

I opened a bankaccount in the US about a year ago,got even an ATM card without any problem at all!!!!
The law has all changed now Nursey.

I'm looking into my options but there doesn't seem to be too many of them with opening an account.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

I had issues opening a new joint account even without an SSN with Provident in this area. (Maryland). They quoted the patriot act and said due to that they could not open a bank account any more without an SSN

We just added me to her checking account and savings account and transferred my UK money over via international wire to that account. By the time the money got here my name was already on the account

I have seen a lot of people do this fine, but I couldn't round here.. I tried three different banks.. granted none of them were Bank Of America which seems to have the best chance of succeeding at this.

As it is I don't have an account out here single, we just shared all her existing ones, which isn't an issue
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:07 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leebarton
We just added me to her checking account and savings account and transferred my UK money over via international wire to that account. By the time the money got here my name was already on the account
That seems to be the only way ahead. I've contacted Sovereign Bank who say no but I think I'll end up having to be added to Steve's account and then opening my own one later.

I wonder what the hell all the Florida holiday home owners are doing with this?
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hansey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sibsie
Thanks so much Hansey. That's more or less what my financial advisor said, but he's in Europe so couldn't quote the actual chapter and verse for me.

I've also got a feeling that if I do manage to get a bank account in my own name, that I'll certainly be getting no deals on rates and commission charges.

To utilise your expertise for a min. Would I even be able to be a co signatuary on my fiance's bank account so at least I could transfer some money over? I'm not too concerned about rates as I think the Euro will stay as strong as it is for the foreseeable and my UK income will always be subject to currency fluctuations.

I'm now glad I worried about this.
I think you'll even find that you'll have trouble as a co-signatuary, because the key to most of the new laws is that they need that SSN if you're going to do *any* kind of business with them at all. But again, since your fiance is an established customer with the bank, they may bend the rules a bit, so you might have an easier time with this.

You may also just consider exchanging your cash before you come (perhaps into US Travelers checks, if there is an American Express office nearby) and then just have your fiance deposit it into his account - then you can transfer it out again when you have your SSN and can open your own account. The drawback of course is that you won't be able to access the money, only he will. But at least you would be able to get the funds over here while the exchange rate is working in your favor.

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:38 pm
C.G.D.S

Thanks Hansey.

I'm going to go out in January so I'll go into the bank and see what if anything they can do. I really don't want my money lingering in Spain any longer than I have to and going through POE with a load of cash would be the mother of all mistakes!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:03 pm
C.G.D.S

I just got this back from Sovereign.

It is possible to open an account without posessing a Social Security number, as long as the proper identification papers are presented. This would include your passport as well as secondary identification which corresponds to at least some of the information on the passport.

The account opening will have to be accomplished after you have taken residence in the US and established your mailing address, however.

Should you have any unanswered questions or concerns, please contact [email protected] or call XXXXXXXX, choose the language option that most suits your preference, and then option 3.

Sincerely,

Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hansey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sibsie
I just got this back from Sovereign.
Ah, good news for you sibsie! I'm glad to hear Sovereign will open the account for you. I suspected that it would be the larger banks (and Sovereign is one of the largest in the country) that would be more likely to do it for you. I'm sure that's a relief for you.

One less thing to worry about!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 9:44 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by Hansey
Ah, good news for you sibsie! I'm glad to hear Sovereign will open the account for you. I suspected that it would be the larger banks (and Sovereign is one of the largest in the country) that would be more likely to do it for you. I'm sure that's a relief for you.

One less thing to worry about!
Thanks so much for all your help Hansey. Good to know there's some great people in my new hood!

Sovereign also have the coolest voice at their ATM machines. A very posh English lady.