Reload this Page >

Baby born mid green card application

Baby born mid green card application

Old Feb 28th 2013, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Needgreencardhelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Baby born mid green card application

Dear all,

My wife is currently in the process of a green card application (I am a USC); her case number was received on the 24th January. We had our first child on the 8th February (the baby is NOT a USC as I have not lived in the US the pre requisite amount of time to transfer citizenship). We are ready to send in the DS-2001 but I am sure there must be more paperwork given there will be 3 of us emigrating and not 2 anymore! There is very little information on the US embassy's website so I thought I would reach out to you.

Has anyone had experience in this situation? Would anyone know what the process would now entail?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Gabriel
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born mid green card application

Originally Posted by Needgreencardhelp
Dear all,

My wife is currently in the process of a green card application (I am a USC); her case number was received on the 24th January. We had our first child on the 8th February (the baby is NOT a USC as I have not lived in the US the pre requisite amount of time to transfer citizenship). We are ready to send in the DS-2001 but I am sure there must be more paperwork given there will be 3 of us emigrating and not 2 anymore! There is very little information on the US embassy's website so I thought I would reach out to you.

Has anyone had experience in this situation? Would anyone know what the process would now entail?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Gabriel
Sounds like your wife is doing an immigrant visa process (not green card).

The baby needs an I 130 filed and approved. The household number changes to 3 on the I 864. The baby needs an I 864W.

Only 2 are immigrating. The USC does not have to immigrate.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 28th 2013 at 2:21 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Isn't this what I learned a little while ago on here... When you get the visas and enter the US the wife becomes a LPR but the baby becomes a US citizen straight away?

Congrats on the baby by the way!

Last edited by slummymummy; Feb 28th 2013 at 1:56 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Isn't this what I learned a little while ago on here... When you get the visas and enter the US the wife becomes a LPR but the baby becomes a US citizen straight away?
Yes. That's why the baby only needs an I-864W, but the spouse needs an I-864.

Rene

p.s. - also, just a reminder to add the baby's name on any form that asks you to list children.

Rene
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. That's why the baby only needs an I-864W, but the spouse needs an I-864.

Rene

p.s. - also, just a reminder to add the baby's name on any form that asks you to list children.

Rene
From my understanding, the baby is already a USC and only needs a US passport and not an I-130.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:51 pm

We had our first child on the 8th February (the baby is NOT a USC as I have not lived in the US the pre requisite amount of time to transfer citizenship).
Originally Posted by Michael
From my understanding, the baby is already a USC and only needs a US passport and not an I-130.
The OP says he isn't eligible to pass along citizenship to the baby.

Rene
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Nope. The USC dad has not lived in the USA so the baby is not eligible for US citizenship from birth.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The OP says he isn't eligible to pass along citizenship to the baby.

Rene
Sorry, I don't know why I missed that.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Needgreencardhelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like your wife is doing an immigrant visa process (not green card).

The baby needs an I 130 filed and approved. The household number changes to 3 on the I 864. The baby needs an I 864W.

Only 2 are immigrating. The USC does not have to immigrate.

Rene
Thanks Rene & Slummyyummy, so does that mean the process starts again for the baby or do they expedite it given that the mother has had her case filed and approved already?

Just don't want to wait another 3 months till the babys I-130 is approved!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:24 pm

Thanks Rene & Slummyyummy, so does that mean the process starts again for the baby or do they expedite it given that the mother has had her case filed and approved already?

The process for the baby starts again from the beginning. When submitting the I-130, you can include proof of your wife's current status in the process, and ask that the baby's be expedited. Whether they will do so or not, I don't know.

Lately it hasn't been taking 3 months to get an approved I-130 through London...seems to be quicker than that.

Rene
Old Feb 28th 2013, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... so does that mean the process starts again for the baby or do they expedite it given that the mother has had her case filed and approved already?
I found this on the London web site: "An immigrant visa petition has been filed on my behalf. I now have a child. Can s/he be added to my application?

If your baby's mother or father is an American citizen, the baby could have claim to U.S. citizenship. If you reside in the Great Britain you should follow this link for further information. If you reside in Northern Ireland, you should write to the Consulate in Belfast. The address is Danesfort House, 223 Stranmillis Road, Belfast, BT9 5GR.

If your baby has no claim to U.S. citizenship, it may be possible for the child to derive status from the immigrant visa petition filed on your behalf, or for your spouse to file an immigrant visa petition for him/her. You should notify the Immigrant Visa Branch in writing of the birth of your child. They will advise you further. The address you require is Visa Branch, 24 Grosvenor Square, London, W1K 6AH"

Ian
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not being funny but the birth of your baby surely couldn't have come as a surprise?

Hopefully if you write to the address that Ian gave you, it should be sorted without any (or much) extra time. This must have happened before, and it seems a bit "unfair" if you have to wait longer. But even if you do it shouldn't be too much longer like Rene said.

Good luck!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:09 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad the baby didn't wait until after the mother's visa was issued.

Regards, JEff
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

You mean the baby should have waited until they were already in the US? And how much would it have cost to pay for the birth there...? When I got health insurance pregnancy was not covered for 1 year. (Not that I want another one anyway, 2 is enough!)
Old Feb 28th 2013, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by slummymummy
You mean the baby should have waited until they were already in the US? And how much would it have cost to pay for the birth there...? When I got health insurance pregnancy was not covered for 1 year. (Not that I want another one anyway, 2 is enough!)
JEff was just commenting from the visa perspective.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.