Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Average time spent at POE?

Average time spent at POE?

Old Feb 18th 2003, 4:08 pm
Jim

Default Average time spent at POE?

For those who have gone through the process already, what is the time you
spent at POE with them going through luggage, paperwork, etc?

Old Feb 18th 2003, 7:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average time spent at POE?

Originally posted by Jim
Here's a database that members of the NG are encouraged to contribute to:
http://www.k1poelist.com/

FWIW, our time was 15 minutes or less through primary and secondary Immigration inspections. Zero time clearing Customs.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Jim
Hi Jim

my total POE time for primary and secondary Immigration inspections,was around 15 mins.
I had an early week day flight so the airport was not busy,This may have been a factor!!!

Sal
Old Feb 18th 2003, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jim
Depends upon the lines. I've heard anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours.

If you are refused admission, the time is until the next flight on the same airline back -- part of the deal that the airlines have with the government is that they will return anyone who is refused entry. [The one client that happened to still had her US cell phone and it still had a little juice in the battery. I still don't know how I pulled her out of airline detention.]
Old Feb 19th 2003, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

keatslamia is an unknown quantity at this point

can i ask, what would merit a refusal at POE after the visa has been obtained? we'd rather not repeat his last POE nightmare, even though he was let in after a rather significant scare.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 1:44 am
Account Closed

Originally posted by keatslamia
can i ask, what would merit a refusal at POE after the visa has been obtained? we'd rather not repeat his last POE nightmare, even though he was let in after a rather significant scare.
1. You don't qualify for the visa classification upon which entry is sought.

2. Section 212(a) of the Immigration & Nationality Act

3. Colin Powell revokes the visa. BTW, Colin doesn't need a reason. I should know -- I litigated one of the cases that established Colin's right to be as arbitrary as he likes [although it was a Deputy SecState in the name of Warren Christopher who did the dastardly deed in the case I tried]. Sigh.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

keatslamia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
1. You don't qualify for the visa classification upon which entry is sought.

2. Section 212(a) of the Immigration & Nationality Act

3. Colin Powell revokes the visa. BTW, Colin doesn't need a reason. I should know -- I litigated one of the cases that established Colin's right to be as arbitrary as he likes [although it was a Deputy SecState in the name of Warren Christopher who did the dastardly deed in the case I tried]. Sigh.
what they do, call him at POE? sheeesh.
so in other words, if they think we aren't a legitimate couple (which the stacks of evidence i will be carrying will suggest otherwise) that would be an example of not qualifying for that particular type of visa?
i'll have to look up the section 212a.
i should hope that colin has more important things on his mind at the moment.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Finkernz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused

ok so I have just read this thread and now im confused. If your cominginto the STates on a K1 visa how can you be refused entry??? Wasnt the entire process you have just gone thru to get the K1 enough evidence that you should be allowed entry??????
Old Feb 19th 2003, 5:19 am
Terry Paget

When I was given my visa (at Dublin) it was made clear to me that the fact
of the visa did not guarantee entry. Entry into the States was a matter for
the INS official(s) at the POE.

Telman
"Finkernz" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > ok so I have just read this thread and now im confused. If your
    > cominginto the STates on a K1 visa how can you be refused entry??? Wasnt
    > the entire process you have just gone thru to get the K1 enough evidence
    > that you should be allowed entry??????
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Feb 19th 2003, 7:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Terry Paget
When I was given my visa (at Dublin) it was made clear to me that the fact
of the visa did not guarantee entry. Entry into the States was a matter for
the INS official(s) at the POE.

Telman
We received the same warning (on CR-1), specific to our I-864 approval. This caused us to put our co-sponsor's Aff of Supp into the pile for insurance. I did a good job of convincing the CO that our finances were solid. I wasn't sure I could do the same thing at the POE if I had to.
Old Feb 19th 2003, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by keatslamia
what they do, call him at POE? sheeesh.
so in other words, if they think we aren't a legitimate couple (which the stacks of evidence i will be carrying will suggest otherwise) that would be an example of not qualifying for that particular type of visa?
i'll have to look up the section 212a.
i should hope that colin has more important things on his mind at the moment.
Hi:

Hmm. It seems that you have read the relevant case law. You have described the relevant facts of Wong v. Department of State where the INS people at the POE called the Depatment of State and had them cancel the visa. However, in Wong, the Dep Sec State did it in his capacity as a "consular officer." So Wong won.

In my case [Se Jong Noh] an F-1 visa had been revoked without explanation other than a conclusory statement that it had been "illegally obtained." [In the exclusion proceedings, the Immigration Judge found that he was a bona fide student, there was no fraud, and the proper procedures had been followed, but she was bound by the revocation]. To this day, we don't know why the visa was revoked. The court of appeals first ruled in our favor based upon Wong, and then reversed itself on rehearing becasue the Dep Sec of State of done it in Warren's name rather than in his capacity as a consular officer.

So, in reading Wong and Noh together, yes, the POE people CAN call the Department of State and a person can invoke Colin's name to revoke the visa.

Note I didn't say that this WOULD happen, just that it COULD.