Asylum

Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

USimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Asylum

I have a friend that came to the us with B2 visa to visit. He would like to apply for asylum because of the fact that he doesn't want to go back to his country because he never lived there. He is willing to join the US army and serve it.
Anyone can give an advice about the situation? What are the chances of getting an asylum status?
Old Sep 9th 2004, 1:44 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asylum

Originally Posted by USimmigrant
I have a friend that came to the us with B2 visa to visit. He would like to apply for asylum because of the fact that he doesn't want to go back to his country because he never lived there. He is willing to join the US army and serve it.
Anyone can give an advice about the situation? What are the chances of getting an asylum status?
When you arrive on a tourist visa, don't you waive the right to apply for asylum? Plus they government will only grant asylum if the applicant can prove that they have left to escape persecution, or if the home country is too dangerous to return to. Follow the proper immigration procedures like the rest of us instead of trying to use asylum as a short-cut.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 2:25 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

depends where he is from.
If he's from Dharfur in the Sudan I'd hazard a guess he's onto a winner.
If he's from Swindon then I doubt it.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 2:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If he never lived there, how did he get a tourist visa?

Seems like another case of I don't want to go home, will claim asylum and then when I can, with USCIS permission, go visit the folks in the same country I sought asylum from.

Anyone can apply but the people on immigration forums are not crystal ball glazers and can't prediction the future.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
depends where he is from.
If he's from Dharfur in the Sudan I'd hazard a guess he's onto a winner.
If he's from Swindon then I doubt it.
Have you been to Swindon?
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

jgeiger42 is on a distinguished road

People who enter on B visas can apply for asylum, but these days its pretty tough to get an application approved. The standard is that one must have a well-founded fear of persecution in one's own country because of political belief, religion, ethnicity, race or gender. It can't be that the country is just generally a dangerous place to live-- the asylee has to be individually targeted for one of the above reasons. An asylum application has to be approved by an immigration judge, so there's some courtroom work to be done and legal eligibility to be proved. It typically takes six or more years to get the green card, assuming one is approved. Asylum applications are much more difficult now than they were in the past. After 9/11, Attorney General Ashcroft set a tone of "cracking down" on asylum applicants, with the general aim of discouraging people from considering them a U.S. immigration strategy option.

-James

Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:06 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I doubt it but it's probably a much nicer place than Darfur!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It is interesting....Honda loves it
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

USimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant future

Thank you all for the feedback!
Old Sep 10th 2004, 5:59 pm
Amanda

USimmigrant <member24283@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > I have a friend that came to the us with B2 visa to visit. He would like
    > to apply for asylum because of the fact that he doesn't want to go back
    > to his country because he never lived there. He is willing to join the
    > US army and serve it.

If he joins US army and fulfill the agreement, wouldn't he get GC at
some point? Why use asylum which should be saved for deserving people?
If one wants to apply for asylum, then join US army only because he
really wants to becoem a soldier.

> Anyone can give an advice about the situation? What are the chances of
    > getting an asylum status?

Old Sep 10th 2004, 6:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda

I think you have to be a permanent resident to join the army, doing so helps speed up citizenship....though I could be wrong...
Old Sep 10th 2004, 6:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think you have to be a permanent resident to join the army, doing so helps speed up citizenship....though I could be wrong...
I think you are right.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 5:27 am
Jozef

"Manc" <member13268@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > > I think you have to be a permanent resident to join the army, doing so
    > > helps speed up citizenship....though I could be wrong...
    > I think you are right.

I think so too! :)

Seriously, to be able to join the military, you indeed have to be at least a
PR.

Old Sep 11th 2004, 6:08 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda
We're not the french foreign legion. You have to be a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident of the United States to enlist. An occassional illegal alien gets into the army here and there, but that's against the rules and the army doesn't know about it when they accept them. Heck, they've even caught illegals working for the border patrol.
Old Sep 11th 2004, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

In all seriousness, how often does this "I want to join the US army" thing come up - where on earth do people get the idea that the army is an immigration ticket?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.