Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

ARGHHHHH SSN still not in system?!!!!

ARGHHHHH SSN still not in system?!!!!

Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice
Default ARGHHHHH SSN still not in system?!!!!

I received my green card after going through the whole K1 process and went to re-apply for my ssn (I first applied back in June with my K1) Now again ss are telling me Im still not in the system and theyv sent a request to immigration for me to be verified....this happened in June also but I have no idea why I wouldnt be in the system now...has anyone any experience with this? Iv made an infopass app for in couple days although in June when I also went in on an infopass they told me it was ss office who was at fault....Im at a loss as to what to do soooo frustrating! I didnt realise they even had to verify me with an actual green card..what's to verify!?

Thanks for listening
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:43 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARGHHHHH SSN still not in system?!!!!

Originally Posted by LBJR07
I received my green card after going through the whole K1 process and went to re-apply for my ssn (I first applied back in June with my K1) Now again ss are telling me Im still not in the system and theyv sent a request to immigration for me to be verified....this happened in June also but I have no idea why I wouldnt be in the system now...has anyone any experience with this? Iv made an infopass app for in couple days although in June when I also went in on an infopass they told me it was ss office who was at fault....Im at a loss as to what to do soooo frustrating! I didnt realise they even had to verify me with an actual green card..what's to verify!?

Thanks for listening
Go to your local state representative and ask them to help. Believe me, it's the only way to cut through the red tape and get some real help. The same thing happened to me in early 2008 and I spent three months cycling between the SSA and USCIS before my state representative's office helped me get it resolved.

Although... I came over on a CR-1, so maybe our situations are slightly different...

Still worth consulting the rep though. Good luck.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice

Thanks for the reply...how did you go about contacting and finding your state rep??
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Now again ss are telling me Im still not in the system and theyv sent a request to immigration for me to be verified...
You should speak to a supervisor at the SSA office.

Iv made an infopass app for in couple days although in June when I also went in on an infopass they told me it was ss office who was at fault...
I'm not sure what an InfoPass appointment will do... the problem isn't with US immigration.

Ian
Old Nov 9th 2010, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for listening
The same thing happened to me. I received my green card and went back to the SS office to get the work authorization legend removed from my SSN. I applied for my SSN around May and then went and changed my name once I'd received my EAD card from USCIS so it definitely wasn't the first time SS had dealt with me. I was told that they could not verify who I was as there was a name discrepancy on their system and that verification could take 6 to 8 weeks. I received my updated SSN in the mail 10 days later.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You should speak to a supervisor at the SSA office.

I'm not sure what an InfoPass appointment will do... the problem isn't with US immigration.

Ian

So is it up to the SS office whether or not I need to be verified? Im so confused as to who is responsible for allowing me my ssn...the first time I applied in the summer I went back to the office multiple times and every time they told me I need to speak to immigration...seems like a whole lot of "computer says no" with SS people
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's up to SS. USCIS is out of the picture now...you've got your green card...their job is done.

SS is supposed to just look at your green card and make a change in the system so that you'll get a new SS card without the "DHS work authorization" legend.

As others have said, ask to speak to a Supervisor at SS, or just go to a different SS office. This part should be a piece of cake.

Rene
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's up to SS. USCIS is out of the picture now...you've got your green card...their job is done.

SS is supposed to just look at your green card and make a change in the system so that you'll get a new SS card without the "DHS work authorization" legend.

As others have said, ask to speak to a Supervisor at SS, or just go to a different SS office. This part should be a piece of cake.

Rene
The thing is I never got a ssn in the first place as the ss office said immigration never emailed them back to verify me...then my K1 expired so I was waiting to re-apply with my green card (EAD still processing)

As Iv just put in an application can I still go to another office or would I have to cancel my app at the office Iv already applied?

I thought getting the green card would make things simple! Is there anything written stating that I need to be issued a ssn with green card without all this immigration verification stuff or something that I can throw out there when I return to the ss office? They spent most the summer fobbing me off
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:51 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply...how did you go about contacting and finding your state rep??
Try this site:

http://www.house.gov/Welcome.shtml

Put your zip code in the top left search box and find your local rep. Then call their office and ask to speak to someone who deals with immigration matters. It will probably involve signing a few documents to authorise them to release your information, and maybe a trip to the office once or twice, but in my case they spoke to me twice on the phone, saw me once in person, and had my whole situation ironed out within two weeks. I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Oh, and STOP dealing with the SSA or USCIS. Waste of your time.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 6:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is I never got a ssn in the first place as the ss office said immigration never emailed them back to verify me...then my K1 expired so I was waiting to re-apply with my green card (EAD still processing)

As Iv just put in an application can I still go to another office or would I have to cancel my app at the office Iv already applied?

I thought getting the green card would make things simple! Is there anything written stating that I need to be issued a ssn with green card without all this immigration verification stuff or something that I can throw out there when I return to the ss office? They spent most the summer fobbing me off
SSA issues the Social Security Numbers.
Before issuing a new number, SSA has to verify what your immigration status IS (to make sure they may issue you a number).
The system they use to do that verification is called SAVE.
USCIS does impact this, because they are the ones who enter your current immigration status in SAVE.

Have you called the SSA helpline yet? Why don't you do so?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

I just went back to SS office to speak with a technical supervisor (prefer to speak in person) I found some USCIS document from their website with instructions on how to verify to back myself up...the guy insists he'll now keep on my case to make sure it follows the correct steps as last time who ever handled my application did not which is why months went by with no verification despite me going in weekly...I guess now just wait and see what happens so annoying that I cant go on the husband's health insurance or apply for American driving license ah grrrrrr never mind guess im well practiced in waiting and pending!
Thanks for all your input and advice
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I just went back to SS office to speak with a technical supervisor (prefer to speak in person) I found some USCIS document from their website with instructions on how to verify to back myself up...the guy insists he'll now keep on my case to make sure it follows the correct steps as last time who ever handled my application did not which is why months went by with no verification despite me going in weekly...I guess now just wait and see what happens so annoying that I cant go on the husband's health insurance or apply for American driving license ah grrrrrr never mind guess im well practiced in waiting and pending!
Thanks for all your input and advice
Good job.. it sounds like you found the problem.

Sometimes when the details aren't entered correctly at first entry (with your K-1), SSA has to do 'manual verification'. That is what they told you back when. When they do a manual verification, they are supposed to follow up on it weekly. It sounds like your office person did not do that (either didn't turn it in or didn't do the follow up). The system is much improved over a few years ago, which isn't much comfort to you..

The good news is, monitored correctly, you should have a number soon.. like w/in a week. You can go back in person to get your number once it has been issued, if you don't want to wait for the card to come in the mail.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:00 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

I also had a problem getting my SSN, so made a visit to the local SS office.
That experience , as they say, was a whole 'nother story.

The lady I saw (after 3 enlightening hours) told me the reason I had not received one is they did not like/could not compute the apostrophe in my surname.

She wrote a letter to USCIS to verify my apostrophe haha!
5 months after entry I eventually received it.

The lady said this was quite a common issue with names that include characters that are not standard letters, and when they have a conflict they wait for the person to come to their office to verify rather than let them know there is a a problem.

I was way too polite to suggest that they update their systems to include such characters.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by merz
I also had a problem getting my SSN, so made a visit to the local SS office.
That experience , as they say, was a whole 'nother story.

The lady I saw (after 3 enlightening hours) told me the reason I had not received one is they did not like/could not compute the apostrophe in my surname.

She wrote a letter to USCIS to verify my apostrophe haha!
5 months after entry I eventually received it.

The lady said this was quite a common issue with names that include characters that are not standard letters, and when they have a conflict they wait for the person to come to their office to verify rather than let them know there is a a problem.

I was way too polite to suggest that they update their systems to include such characters.

O god verifying your apostrophe?!!! Sounds like the lovely ladies in my local office...Im certainly not expecting my ssn to arrive quickly
Old Nov 9th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

O god verifying your apostrophe?!!!
It's because she's ever so ever so posh like the queen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.