Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

approved petition: how to trace where our case is now

approved petition: how to trace where our case is now

Old Jun 24th 2004, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

scott&aleth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default approved petition: how to trace where our case is now

We got approved june 7 on our I-129 petition. My fiance received the approval notice thru mail after a week and we are approaching 3rd week since the case approval. Now, how can we trace our case? Shall i just wait for my packet 3 to come in? Also, my fiance (USC petitioner) got his police clearance a month ago but im not sure where should we include it.

Thanks so much for the advice!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:57 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: approved petition: how to trace where our case is now

Originally posted by scott&aleth
We got approved june 7 on our I-129 petition. My fiance received the approval notice thru mail after a week and we are approaching 3rd week since the case approval. Now, how can we trace our case? Shall i just wait for my packet 3 to come in? Also, my fiance (USC petitioner) got his police clearance a month ago but im not sure where should we include it.

Your case will be transferred to NVC where the clearance continues and then will be sent to the Phillipines.
I may be wrong on this since my procedure was for the UK and a K3, but the police clearance procedure is for the NON USC.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Buendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the roughBuendia is a jewel in the rough

I'm pretty sure Cindy is correct; I think it's pretty much the same procedure for the K1 as it is for the K3.

It takes about (and this can vary greatly!) 10 days for the case to reach the NVC after the NOA2 date. Another week or so to leave the NVC. Another week to reach the consulate. These are approximate time estimates!

You can call the NVC to make sure your case has arrived there and left (phone number is 603.334.0700, be sure to press one then two to get a live operator). Some people say that having to field calls prevents the NVC from doing their work, but I called because I really needed the peace of mind...

After that, it is up to the embassy. Each embassy is different in how long it takes to send Packet 3, how long it is before you'll get an interview date, etc...
Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Fellow K1er here, Aleth. On the NOA2 there is a number for the National Visa Center - the same number that Buendia attached above. Have him call the number and follow the instructions to get a live operator. You have to speak to a live person to get an update about a K visa. They will be able to tell him if the approved I-129f has arrived yet, if they've processed it yet, and if they have forwarded it to the Consulate in your country. That should give you some peace of mind to know where your petition is at.

Oh, and your US fiance does not a police clearance. You need the police clearance as the foreign citizen. Go to this site, and click on the country you need a clearance for: http://www.kamya.com/misc/polcert.html . You will need to provide a police clearance from every country you have lived in, after the age of 16, for more than 6 months. The only reason I can think that he would need a police clearance is if this is something special required by the Consulate you're using, but I've never heard of this being necessary. I didn't even know that a police clearance could be obtained in the US.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:30 pm
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Buendia
Some people say that having to field calls prevents the NVC from doing their work, but I called because I really needed the peace of mind...
I wouldn't worry about it - I'm pretty sure they have a call center specifically for handling incoming calls/questions. I doubt it's the people working the applications answering the phone.

Of course, this is my assumption, could be wrong...

K
Old Jun 26th 2004, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

scott&aleth is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all! Thanks for the advice, your time estimates were true, Scott received a mail from NVC yesterday (a week after he received a letter of approval from TSC) telling that our case was forwarded to the embassy here in manila. Thank you so much! Im now waiting for my packet 3 to arrive. I hope the interview will be scheduled soon.
Old Jun 26th 2004, 7:12 am
fukumanc1976

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Fellow K1er here, Aleth. On the NOA2 there is a number for the National Visa Center - the same number that Buendia attached above. Have him call the number and follow the instructions to get a live operator. You have to speak to a live person to get an update about a K visa. They will be able to tell him that dcmark likes to suck off niggers if the approved I-129f has arrived yet, if they've processed it yet, and if they have forwarded it to the Consulate in your country. That should give you some peace of mind to know where your petition is at.

Oh, and your US fiance does not a police clearance. You need the police clearance as the foreign citizen. Go to this site, and click on the country you need a clearance for: http://www.kamya.com/misc/polcert.html . You will need to provide a police clearance from every country you have lived in, after the age of 16, for more than 6 months. The only reason I can think that he would need a police clearance is if this is something special required by the Consulate you're using, but I've never heard of this being necessary. I didn't even know that a police clearance could be obtained in the US.
good info

Old Jun 26th 2004, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

A police certificate can certainly be obtained in the U.S. I needed one in order to obtain a marriage visa for Colombia.

However, it wasn't needed for U.S. immigrations.

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Fellow K1er here, Aleth. On the NOA2 there is a number for the National Visa Center - the same number that Buendia attached above. Have him call the number and follow the instructions to get a live operator. You have to speak to a live person to get an update about a K visa. They will be able to tell him if the approved I-129f has arrived yet, if they've processed it yet, and if they have forwarded it to the Consulate in your country. That should give you some peace of mind to know where your petition is at.