Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying with the US Embassy in London

Applying with the US Embassy in London

Old Feb 24th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Jezibella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying with the US Embassy in London

I've been looking at their website about filing the petition, which is the first step of a two step process.

I really don't understand what is the 2nd process is in details .

I'm just looking for a timeline and fee list of the entire process.

First step:
File the petition, along with payment pf $355,
include current passport photos, photocopies of our passports, our birth certificates, a photocopy of my uk resident visa, our marriage certificate, and completed G-325A biometric forms. Send off first class to embassy.

Second step:
Will they want other information such as bank statements, bill statements....etc............ do we bring all this information to the interview?

Does anybody know the entire cost of the i130?
and if anyone has previously gone through the embassy, could you give me a rough estimate of how long it took to get an interview.

Thank you
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

ChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud of
Default Re: Applying with the US Embassy in London

Originally Posted by Jezibella
I've been looking at their website about filing the petition, which is the first step of a two step process.

First step:
include current passport photos, photocopies of our passports, our birth certificates, a photocopy of my uk resident visa, our marriage certificate, and completed G-325A biometric forms. Send off first class to embassy.

Second step:
Will they want other information such as bank statements, bill statements....etc............ do we bring all this information to the interview?

and if anyone has previously gone through the embassy, could you give me a rough estimate of how long it took to get an interview.

Thank you
Hi, Jez. There is a link on the embassy website that says "what happens to petitions filed in London" (something along those lines) click there for more info. (It would take me forever to explain all the steps but it is all very clear on their website).

The entire (start to finish from I-130 to interview) process takes APPROXIMATELY 4-6 months. (But this varies, some cases are more complex than others due to personal circumstances, etc...)

The I-130 is $355, but there is another fee for the actual visa which you pay at the interview. I can't remember off the top of my head... $400(?) (You can also find this on the website).

Then (sigh ) there is the medical exam (180- I don't remember if this is dollars or pounds), the UK police certificate (35 pounds), and any other costs you may incur if you need translations, to send applications recorded delivery, etc....

It ain't cheap, but it is worth it!

Really- all the instructions and prices are on their website. I am going through this process myself at the moment and have probably invested hours of time on the embassy website.

Last edited by ChelleyP; Feb 24th 2009 at 5:14 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

yorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to beholdyorkieuk is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ChelleyP

Then (sigh ) there is the medical exam (180- I don't remember if this is dollars or pounds),.
It's £180
Also vaccinations are around £35 each so get them done before hand on the NHS for free if you have any outstanding.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

It costs for medical exams and vacs? We bought have free health care with the NHS.

I can understand the police certificates... but geez
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

First step:

Second step:

Thank you
Hi Jez,
You might find the first link in my siggy to be helpful; it's an explanation of the entire petition to visa process you are doing (commonly called DCF or Direct Consular Filing by the online community).

Chelley's got the numbers right; they are doing the same kind of case right now.
The actual visa you will apply for is called an Immigrant Visa (the I-130 has multiple uses).
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It costs for medical exams and vacs? We bought have free health care with the NHS.

The Medical Examination
Links on the right side of the page.
You can get any required vax at your own doctor to save money.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

ChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud ofChelleyP has much to be proud of

The medical exam is not done by an NHS doctor. Please read the embassy website thoroughly. I promise you all this info is there in black and white.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

I really can't-or navigate properly on the embassy's site.
So I googled it and I found this :

The cost for the medical examination is £200 (Pounds Sterling) for applicants aged 15, and £100 (Pounds Sterling) if under the age of 15. Payment by credit card (Visa and MasterCard only), debit card, or cash must be made at the time of the examination. If an applicant fails to keep his or her appointment without 3 clear days notice, they may be liable for an £80 cancellation fee.

Applicants will be required to present their passports at the time of the examination and bring one photograph for each applicant, the specifications for which are the same as those for the IV application. In most cases it will take about 3 days to have the medical report and X-rays couriered to the Embassy following the examination. Medical results remain valid for 1 year after the examination.
Is 200 pounds for EACH applicant? If so, then :curse:
The main reason I want to move back to America is because England is soooo expensive and I'm seeing my savings disappear before my eyes!!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

I really can't-or navigate properly on the embassy's site.
So I googled it and I found this :

The main reason I want to move back to America is because England is soooo expensive and I'm seeing my savings disappear before my eyes!!

I know some of my advice has been called into question... but remember when I suggested that you do not over-google? Why google it when all the official info is on the embassy website? This info you found is completely false (maybe it is out-of-date?).

On the embassy website there is a link (within their own site) that says "The medical exam". Plus Meauxna (who is always very helpful) posted some links for you.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Plus: only one of you is the applicant. The US citizen is the petitioner. The US citizen does not need a medical exam.

If you are having trouble understanding the website and terminology... I change my mind- maybe you should hire a lawyer....
Old Feb 24th 2009, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Not trying to sound mean by the way... (nothing more annoying than the bullies on this site)... I just mean it may be in your best interest to get professional advice with this because it is an important process
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

How many people are actually immigrating? (Don't count the USC).

Rene
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ChelleyP
Plus: only one of you is the applicant. The US citizen is the petitioner. The US citizen does not need a medical exam.

If you are having trouble understanding the website and terminology... I change my mind- maybe you should hire a lawyer....
I think there is no need to be rude or to insult me. In fact I change my mind- maybe I should not come here for help. I know that I am the petitioner, I just thought/heard before that for marriage of a usc and non usc both needed blood work etc...

The website is not easy to navigate and the writing is too small. I'm sorry if this is all new to me, but I did successfully go through the UK fiance visa process and the UK resident visa process without any problems, by myself, with no lawyer.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is no need to be rude or to insult me. In fact I change my mind- maybe I should not come here for help. I know that I am the petitioner, I just thought/heard before that for marriage of a usc and non usc both needed blood work etc...

The website is not easy to navigate and the writing is too small. I'm sorry if this is all new to me, but I did successfully go through the UK fiance visa process and the UK resident visa process without any problems, by myself, with no lawyer.
If you are the only one immigrating, then you are the only one who needs the medical done. That should keep the cost down a bit.

As you can see, immigrating to the USA is a lot more difficult than the other way around. That's just the way it goes.

The second part of the process you were asking about, is when you are notified to fill out the visa application forms, get your police report done, and then let London know you're ready for the interview. They will schedule an interview, and also give you instructions for getting the medical done.

Rene
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:17 pm

With all respect, the US version is quite complex compared to the UK version.

I often tell people that learning about immigration is like trying to learn a foreign language. And do it when the stakes are emotionally high, the costs in $$ significant and usually the people are in a major hurry, all of which hinders comprehension. Give yourself a couple of weeks for it to start making sense.

The website is fine if you already know what you are looking for. And the print IS too small. (there is a feature in most browsers to increase the text size. I find I'm using it more often these days. Try View-->Zoom or View-->Text Size).

Try to not get offended by comments here; 99% of the time the person does not mean to insult. But because it's a jargon heavy endevor, replies can seem terse or unkind. Please don't take it that way; most of us are busy and try to answer with a post that will put you on the right track even if it doesn't answer your Q directly. There are a couple of very good reasons for this.

We'll help you get it figured out. Oh, and for a detailed timeline, search posts in this forum from BritishGuy36; he recently detailed every step.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.