Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

applying for K3 visa: what to write in Q.22 of I-130 form?

applying for K3 visa: what to write in Q.22 of I-130 form?

Old May 8th 2006, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

visaSEEKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default applying for K3 visa: what to write in Q.22 of I-130 form?

Hi

This is my first posting. This is a great website and forum!

I live in the UK, and my wife is about to submit an I-130, the first step in applying for a K3 visa.

I'd really appreciate some advice about what to put on Question 22 of the I-130 form, as it's not so clear what to write, especially for those intending on getting a K3 visa and then 'adjusting status' later on.

It says:

"Complete the following information below if your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status.

Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in: (City) (State). If your relative is not eligible for adjustment of status, he or she will apply for a visa abroad at the American consular post in (city) (Country)."

Reading the 1st paragraph above, I originally thought that since I'm not currently in the USA, the whole question is therefore not relevant to me and we should write 'N/A'. However, I expect that's not what's expected when one is planning to get a K3 visa, which WILL involve an adjustment of status (BUT one isn't in the USA at the moment)... any ideas?

Thank you!
Old May 8th 2006, 10:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: applying for K3 visa: what to write in Q.22 of I-130 form?

Originally Posted by visaSEEKER
Hi

I live in the UK, and my wife is about to submit an I-130, the first step in applying for a K3 visa.

I'd really appreciate some advice about what to put on Question 22 of the I-130 form, as it's not so clear what to write, especially for those intending on getting a K3 visa and then 'adjusting status' later on.

It says:

"Complete the following information below if your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status.

Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in: (City) (State). If your relative is not eligible for adjustment of status, he or she will apply for a visa abroad at the American consular post in (city) (Country)."

Reading the 1st paragraph above, I originally thought that since I'm not currently in the USA, the whole question is therefore not relevant to me and we should write 'N/A'. However, I expect that's not what's expected when one is planning to get a K3 visa, which WILL involve an adjustment of status (BUT one isn't in the USA at the moment)... any ideas?

Thank you!
The I-130 is the first step in applying for the IV Immigrant Visa, not the K-3. Once your wife receives the NOA from the I-130, she will submit the I-129F which is the form that will lead you to your K-3.

Just so you know, the I-130s are processing faster nowadays, and that one may get processed even more quickly than the I-129F for the K-3. Be prepared to go to whichever interview comes up first.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 8th 2006, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

It says:

Thank you!
Hi:

Treat the application as if you have no intention of getting the K-3. It may very well be that the K-3 is rendered moot if the I-130 gets approved first.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:55 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It says:

Thank you!
My thoughts would be that at the time the I-130 is submited you are not eligible to have AOS as you have not yet had a visa issued. So going with that logic, you would list the city and country of the consulate you will apply to for your visa,eg, London, England
Old May 9th 2006, 12:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If it were me, I would answer the question with the name of the US Consulate in the city and country where the Immediate Relative Visa will be adjudicated. For you that would be London, England [UK]

Hi

It says:

Thank you!