Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for K-3 Visa in Belgium?

Applying for K-3 Visa in Belgium?

Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:57 pm
Tod's Princess

Location: Me: Ghent, Belgium - Tod: Providence (Rhode Island), USA
Noortje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for K-3 Visa in Belgium?

Another topic from me today... if you guys can bear with me. So, I am Belgian and residing in Belgium. My fiancé is American, residing in Rhode Island. We want to get married in Belgium in July this year.

The American embassy here in Brussels (Belgium) informed me that, after the marriage, my husband needs to apply for a spouse visa at the American embassy for me to enter the US.
But all I have read about this spouse visa (K-3, right?) up until now says that my husband needs to apply for a K-3 *in* the US. I haven't seen a mention anywhere that he can also do that at the American embassy in the country where the wife is from (Belgium, in my case). Do you guys know if this is possible? We would like to apply for this visa as soon as we are married here in Belgium, which is the next day after marriage or so.

A second question would be: can my husband return to the States after that without having to return to Belgium again? Will we both have to go on an interview in our countries while we wait for the issueing of the visa?

A third question is, will I still be able to visit the US like I always do under the normal Visa Waiver Program as a tourist (which means a stay of maximum 90 days in the US) when I don't have my K-3 visa yet?

Thank you...
Old Jan 8th 2004, 7:28 pm
Tod's Princess

Default Re: Applying for K-3 Visa in Belgium?

Now I have found this online:

http://www.usembassy.be/consul/immi/howfilepet.htm

"how to file a petition for an immediate relative"

But this is in the Immmigrant Visa Section.
To my knowledge, K-3 visa is non-immigrant, right? So this information sheet is not about the K-3 visa.
So, why apply for a K-3 non-immigrant visa if you can apply for an immigrant visa after marriage?

I am becoming more and more confused by the minute...
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:35 pm
Tod's Princess

Phaw, the notion "K-3 visa" apparently doesn't even exist on the website of the American Embassy in Belgium. Wow...
But I just sent them an email...

(Sorry, I'm just trying to keep my thoughts in line... )
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Noortje
Another topic from me today... if you guys can bear with me. So, I am Belgian and residing in Belgium. My fiancé is American, residing in Rhode Island. We want to get married in Belgium in July this year.

The American embassy here in Brussels (Belgium) informed me that, after the marriage, my husband needs to apply for a spouse visa at the American embassy for me to enter the US.
But all I have read about this spouse visa (K-3, right?) up until now says that my husband needs to apply for a K-3 *in* the US. I haven't seen a mention anywhere that he can also do that at the American embassy in the country where the wife is from (Belgium, in my case). Do you guys know if this is possible? We would like to apply for this visa as soon as we are married here in Belgium, which is the next day after marriage or so.

A second question would be: can my husband return to the States after that without having to return to Belgium again? Will we both have to go on an interview in our countries while we wait for the issueing of the visa?

A third question is, will I still be able to visit the US like I always do under the normal Visa Waiver Program as a tourist (which means a stay of maximum 90 days in the US) when I don't have my K-3 visa yet?

Thank you...
Noortje,

Not sure if this is available in Belgium, but what the American Embassy could be referring to is Direct Consular Filing (DCF). Not all embassies will perform this because some require that the US Citizen be a resident of that country (not sure if Belgium requires this). DCF will allow your future husband to apply for a spousal visa, form I-130, for you directly through the Consulate, instead of applying through USCIS Service Centers. This has usually proven to be the quickest route to get the foreign spouse into the country. I don't know if the Consulate would require your husband to be at the interview - I think that depends on the Consulate. I think the best bet would be to call the Embassy with that (if you can't find the answer on their website).

Also, to let you know, the K3 IS an immigrant visa as I understand it. That's why, when applying for a K3 here in the US, it takes a much longer period of time to approve the visa petition.

I don't think you will be able to enter & visit the US, if you go via DCF because the Immigration Officer would most likely view you as an intending immigrant and tell you to return to Belgium to await final approval. I could be wrong on this though.

Hope this helps you somewhat!
Jamie
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Phaw, the notion "K-3 visa" apparently doesn't even exist on the website of the American Embassy in Belgium. Wow...
But I just sent them an email...

(Sorry, I'm just trying to keep my thoughts in line... )
Check out this link: http://www.usembassy.be/consul/immi/howfilepet.htm

This may help you somewhat!

Jamie
Old Jan 8th 2004, 9:25 pm
Tod's Princess

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Noortje,

Not sure if this is available in Belgium, but what the American Embassy could be referring to is Direct Consular Filing (DCF). Not all embassies will perform this because some require that the US Citizen be a resident of that country (not sure if Belgium requires this). DCF will allow your future husband to apply for a spousal visa, form I-130, for you directly through the Consulate, instead of applying through USCIS Service Centers. This has usually proven to be the quickest route to get the foreign spouse into the country. I don't know if the Consulate would require your husband to be at the interview - I think that depends on the Consulate. I think the best bet would be to call the Embassy with that (if you can't find the answer on their website).

Also, to let you know, the K3 IS an immigrant visa as I understand it. That's why, when applying for a K3 here in the US, it takes a much longer period of time to approve the visa petition.

I don't think you will be able to enter & visit the US, if you go via DCF because the Immigration Officer would most likely view you as an intending immigrant and tell you to return to Belgium to await final approval. I could be wrong on this though.

Hope this helps you somewhat!
Jamie
Thank you for your reply Jamie. I think I'll call the Embassy tomorrow...
Good luck on your case too...
Old Jan 8th 2004, 10:24 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie,

... DCF will allow your future husband to apply for a spousal visa, form I-130, for you directly through the Consulate, instead of applying through USCIS Service Centers. ...
Form I-130 is not an application for a spousal visa, and spousal visas cannot be applied for through a USCIS service center.

Form I-130 is a USC's (not an alien's) petition asking that the government acknowledge a family relationship (in this case spouse) and allow the foreigner to apply for a family-based immigrant visa. You are correct that the I-130 is normally filed with a USCIS service center but sometimes can be filed directly with a consulate (hence the acronym DCF).

The visa is always applied for, by the alien, at a consulate.

The K3 is not an immigrant visa, it is a non-immigrant visa. (Which does relate to why it usually takes longer for an I-130 petition to be approved than it takes for an I-129f to be approved, and is why the K3 visa was created.)

Regards, JEff
Old Jan 8th 2004, 11:50 pm
Eileen

Dear N
it takes about 2-4 weeks to complete the DCF in Belgium.
I tend to take note as I watch over the Dutch here.
It seems the information from the Am Embassy pointed you in the best
direction. I would follow what they say.
The K-3 will take you months and get you nothing but the chance to go to
America and wait out the process. If you DCF, you will have everything in
your hand when your first toe touches American soil.
Remember, when you talk to the embassy, that they do not use the term DCF.
That is net talk.
They will probably refer to the..... immediate relative visa filed directly
at the consular level.
Yes, your American husband can return to America right after filing at the
embassy.
No, he does not need to be a resident of Belgium. (you may double check this
info when you talk to the embassy)
You can read about the dutch process if you wish on our website.
congratulations and good luck,
e
wwwdotusadutchdotcom

"Noortje" <member19691@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
    > > Noortje,
    > >
    > > Not sure if this is available in Belgium, but what the American
    > > Embassy could be referring to is Direct Consular Filing (DCF). Not all
    > > embassies will perform this because some require that the US Citizen
    > > be a resident of that country (not sure if Belgium requires this). DCF
    > > will allow your future husband to apply for a spousal visa, form I-
    > > 130, for you directly through the Consulate, instead of applying
    > > through USCIS Service Centers. This has usually proven to be the
    > > quickest route to get the foreign spouse into the country. I don't
    > > know if the Consulate would require your husband to be at the
    > > interview - I think that depends on the Consulate. I think the best
    > > bet would be to call the Embassy with that (if you can't find the
    > > answer on their website).
    > >
    > > Also, to let you know, the K3 IS an immigrant visa as I
    > > understand it. That's why, when applying for a K3 here in the US, it
    > > takes a much longer period of time to approve the visa petition.
    > >
    > > I don't think you will be able to enter & visit the US, if you go via
    > > DCF because the Immigration Officer would most likely view you as an
    > > intending immigrant and tell you to return to Belgium to await final
    > > approval. I could be wrong on this though.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps you somewhat!
    > > Jamie
    > Thank you for your reply Jamie. I think I'll call the Embassy
    > tomorrow...
    > Good luck on your case too...
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 9th 2004, 9:09 am
Tod's Princess

Originally posted by Eileen
Dear N
it takes about 2-4 weeks to complete the DCF in Belgium.
I tend to take note as I watch over the Dutch here.
It seems the information from the Am Embassy pointed you in the best
direction. I would follow what they say.
The K-3 will take you months and get you nothing but the chance to go to
America and wait out the process. If you DCF, you will have everything in
your hand when your first toe touches American soil.
Remember, when you talk to the embassy, that they do not use the term DCF.
That is net talk.
They will probably refer to the..... immediate relative visa filed directly
at the consular level.
Yes, your American husband can return to America right after filing at the
embassy.
No, he does not need to be a resident of Belgium. (you may double check this
info when you talk to the embassy)
You can read about the dutch process if you wish on our website.
congratulations and good luck,
e
wwwdotusadutchdotcom
Hey Eileen,

Thanks for your reply on my post. I think you're right. I'm just gonna do what the American Embassy here in Brussels tells me to do. And I'd also think that the procedure for an immigrant visa for immediate relatives here in Belgium shouldn't be so different than the procedure in the Netherlands.

There is just something else that I'm wondering though... For my husband to be able to apply for an immigrant visa for me here at the Embassy (the DCF that is), is our original Belgian marriage license sufficient to do so? I mean... there isn't some sort "legalisation" necessary in the United States of the marriage, right? We would actually like to apply for the visa the day after the marriage here.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Please people use the resources at your disposal. Noortje you are a member of expats. The root post at the start of the forum has a referral post by me. Go to:

http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

You will find exactly what you are looking for. Couples who did DCF (layman's term) in Belguim.

Simple and easy for you and your then husband to do. And the envy of everyone who are not accorded this procedure.

Rete

Hey Eileen,

Thanks for your reply on my post. I think you're right. I'm just gonna do what the American Embassy here in Brussels tells me to do. And I'd also think that the procedure for an immigrant visa for immediate relatives here in Belgium shouldn't be so different than the procedure in the Netherlands.

There is just something else that I'm wondering though... For my husband to be able to apply for an immigrant visa for me here at the Embassy (the DCF that is), is our original Belgian marriage license sufficient to do so? I mean... there isn't some sort "legalisation" necessary in the United States of the marriage, right? We would actually like to apply for the visa the day after the marriage here.

Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2004, 11:16 am
Tod's Princess

Originally posted by Rete
Please people use the resources at your disposal. Noortje you are a member of expats. The root post at the start of the forum has a referral post by me. Go to:

http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

You will find exactly what you are looking for. Couples who did DCF (layman's term) in Belguim.

Simple and easy for you and your then husband to do. And the envy of everyone who are not accorded this procedure.

Rete
Thank you, Rete. *a little shy*
Old Dec 8th 2005, 7:24 pm
Shadae

> Please people use the resources at your disposal. Noortje you are a
    > member of expats. The root post at the start of the forum has a
    > referral post by me. Go to:
    > http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html
    > You will find exactly what you are looking for. Couples who did DCF
    > (layman's term) in Belguim.
    > Simple and easy for you and your then husband to do. And the envy of
    > everyone who are not accorded this procedure.
    > Rete
    > Originally posted by Noortje
    > > Hey Eileen,
    > > Thanks for your reply on my post. I think you're right. I'm just
    > > gonna
    > > do what the American Embassy here in Brussels tells me to do. And
    > > I'd
    > > also think that the procedure for an immigrant visa for immediate
    > > relatives here in Belgium shouldn't be so different than the
    > > procedure
    > > in the Netherlands.
    > > There is just something else that I'm wondering though... For my
    > > husband to be able to apply for an immigrant visa for me here at the
    > > Embassy (the DCF that is), is our original Belgian marriage license
    > > sufficient to do so? I mean... there isn't some sort "legalisation"
    > > necessary in the United States of the marriage, right? We would
    > > actually like to apply for the visa the day after the marriage here.
    > Thanks!
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com (http://britishexpats.com/)

it seems that you have already gone through the USA-Belgium immigration
precedure by now: i am an American and my Fiance is Belgian. we would
like to get married in Belgium, then after a year or so move to the USA.
i have been unable to find anything on the web on the procedure for
marrying in Belgium, and getting residency there. i would appreciate any
help you can give us
thanks

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com