Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for K-1 visa while both of us out the country.

Applying for K-1 visa while both of us out the country.

Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

mrtiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for K-1 visa while both of us out the country.

Myself (uk) and my fiancee (US) have decided to get married in USA, and then ultimately settle here. We have decided to go the K1 visa route. now here is the issue..we are currently in Asia doing a round the world trip. The plan is pretty much to continue travelling, and then go to america and get married with the k1 visa. Now, i do understand that there are going to be complications - inverviews and medicals etc etc...But for now - what part of the process can my girlfriend (US) do, while not actually in the us. she has plenty of family there who can dig out her birth certificate, but at what point would she physically have to be there to continue the K1 Process?
Thanks
Nick
Old Mar 14th 2011, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for K-1 visa while both of us out the country.

Have you looked at the entire process which is required for the I-129F Fiancee Visa? If so, then you know that the first part of the process is for your USC fiancee to file the I-129F stateside along with a variety of documentation attesting to her US Citizenship, i.e. long form birth certificate or passport (copy), proof of having met you in the last two years (now that is really easy for you two), etc. She will never have to be in the US for the filing of the I-129F.

After its approval it will be forwarded to your native country. For you that would to the UK (US Consulate in London) for the K-1 Fiancee Visa itself. At that point, you have to stop your world tour and get your arses back to the UK for accumulation of required documentation, medical, etc. Some of that documentation, i.e. police certificate(s) might take a while to obtain. She will need to give you an affidavit of support (I-134) or if you have the financial wherewithal, you might be able to financially sponsor yourself for this visa. Note, you cannot do that for the adjustment of status once you are married and living in the US.

There is a link to the K-1 at the start of this forum.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrtiger
Myself (uk) and my fiancee (US) have decided to get married in USA, and then ultimately settle here. We have decided to go the K1 visa route. now here is the issue..we are currently in Asia doing a round the world trip. The plan is pretty much to continue travelling, and then go to america and get married with the k1 visa. Now, i do understand that there are going to be complications - inverviews and medicals etc etc...But for now - what part of the process can my girlfriend (US) do, while not actually in the us. she has plenty of family there who can dig out her birth certificate, but at what point would she physically have to be there to continue the K1 Process?
She never has to physically be in the USA during the K-1 visa process.

Rene
Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Where is "here"? And when is "ultimately"?

You might want to look at 9 FAM 41.81 Notes, N11.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by mrtiger
Myself (uk) and my fiancee (US) have decided to get married in USA, and then ultimately settle here.