Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying to join my fiance in the USA

Applying to join my fiance in the USA

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying to join my fiance in the USA

Originally Posted by zaiandkae
The marriage happened in my parents home country of Somalia, which has not really got much of a government, his family that live in the Uk applied for him to enter the UK as a family reunion

I will be sure to follow Noorah and your advice on finding out what it would have been deemed as,
This is VERY important information!! You absolutely need to find out if an Islamic marriage in Somalia is seen as a legal marriage in the country of Somalia. If it is, it will also be seen as a legal marriage in the UK. In which case, you'll need to see about getting legally divorced. You need an attorney for sure.

I checked the link out, very informative, I will re read it and ask for further legal advice, due to the fact that he is not on my childs birth certificate nor is has he any responsibility i am assuming that it will be alright, but again i will check where i stand legally officially.
Never assume anything will be alright. As the father of the child, he has certain rights, even if his name is not on the birth certificate (I think). You need to find out for sure, and get something legal that says it's OK to remove the child from the UK, even if you have to go to court and get such a court order on your own.

Rene
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:32 am
Just Joined

zaiandkae is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Applying to join my fiance in the USA

Originally Posted by Rete
IN addition to the fine answers you received above, may I interject the option of the immediate relative visa instead of the fiancee visa.

This would mean that you and the USC marry first (legally and recognized by the US) and once you are back in the UK you can continue your studies while he applies for the IRV for both yourself and your son. It takes about the same amount of time (not counting any time lengths due to administrative processing if you have an islamic sounding name) and you both enter into the US as Permanent Residents (green cards stamped in your passport and actual card mailed to you within a month).

Since you graduate in June 2012, you can marry and start the process now. Even if approved before June 2012, you get six months to use the visa once it is in your passport.

I was totally unaware of this type of visa, i will read a little about it and discuss it with my fiance, it sounds alot more suited to us if i am honest

Thanks Rete
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was totally unaware of this type of visa, i will read a little about it and discuss it with my fiance, it sounds alot more suited to us if i am honest

Thanks Rete
Look in our Wiki Guide under "CR-1 Immigrant Visa".

Rene
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Noorah I am not too clear on whether it is seen as legal or religiously binding only in Somalia, your right i have to definitely clarify this as soon as possible, I will make an appointment with the immigration advisory service and if need be a divorce solicitor next.

On the subject of my child, I am not too sure who to contact for that information, i understand the severity of it and would ideally like to act very fast, I have a close friend that is an independent social worker that works specifically with children, I am going to ask him tomorrow where to turn first on this matter.

Thank you Noorah for highlighting these important facts for my fiance and I, much much appreciated
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:49 am

I will make an appointment with the immigration advisory service and if need be a divorce solicitor next.

On the subject of my child, I am not too sure who to contact for that information,
You keep mentioning "immigration advisor", "immigration service", etc. You need to find an Immigration Attorney, Immigration Lawyer, or Immigration Solicitor. Don't use anyone else.

The Immigration Attorney/Lawyer/Solicitor can also advise you on what you need for your child to immigrate.

Rene
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You keep mentioning "immigration advisor", "immigration service", etc. You need to find an Immigration Attorney, Immigration Lawyer, or Immigration Solicitor. Don't use anyone else.

The Immigration Attorney/Lawyer/Solicitor can also advise you on what you need for your child to immigrate.

Rene
Oh I get it now sorry will find a immigration solicitor on line asap and book a well needed appointment, glad i have all this information now, at least if i get all my ends tied before attempting an application there should be less confusion at a later stage, Thanks again Noorah
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:17 pm

Oh I get it now sorry will find a immigration solicitor on line asap and book a well needed appointment, glad i have all this information now, at least if i get all my ends tied before attempting an application there should be less confusion at a later stage, Thanks again Noorah
Yes, especially whether you are legally married right now or not. Your USC fiance cannot file the I-129F until you are both legally free to marry each other.

Rene
Old Sep 24th 2011, 2:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

By the US immigration authorities. It make no difference whether the UK recognizes the marriage.

Again, a US immigration attorney is not likely to know what constitutes a government recognized marriage in Somalia unless they practice in Somalia or have had relevant experience with Somalia. The question needs to be answered by someone who knows Somali law.

Regards, JEff

This is VERY important information!! You absolutely need to find out if an Islamic marriage in Somalia is seen as a legal marriage in the country of Somalia. If it is, it will also be seen as a legal marriage in the UK. In which case, you'll need to see about getting legally divorced. You need an attorney for sure.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Sep 24th 2011 at 2:06 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
The question needs to be answered by someone who knows Somali law.
Is there even such a thing these days?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:36 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

That could be a complicating factor in this case!

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Marocco
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:43 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
I am pretty sure Somalia has split into three, and I am sure they all practice different laws, not to mention Al-Shabaab trying to enforce Sharia law too, so that makes four potential legal systems all running together.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:45 am

The one that 'counts' is the one that the US government recognizes for the place where the marriage, if it was a marriage, took place.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
I am pretty sure Somalia has split into three, and I am sure they all practice different laws, not to mention Al-Shabaab trying to enforce Sharia law too, so that makes four potential legal systems all running together.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:45 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Claim you were a loose woman and really do not know whom the child's father is......you had a series of a one-night stands (or 2-in-1 night stands).
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:32 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The US Department of State also has information on child abduction -- here is the link on "incoming" abduction.

OP's post potentially implicate some very sophisticated issues on freedom to enter into a marriage. When it comes to "choice of law," it should be remembered that a marriage is valid if valid under the law of the "place of celebration." In regards to dissolution, it is generally considered valid if valid under the place of residence of either spouse.

These issues are not only sophisticated, they are heavily fact dependent.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:36 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the problem in this case is that Somalia does not have "law" as we understand it. Also, the question may also related the law of the US state wherein the marriage is to be preformed.

Also, some jurisdictions have procedures to determine to obtain a judicial declaration of freedom to marry.

Yes, a lawyer is needed and even she may have problems with what appears to be a FUBAR.