Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future
Default Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

Anyone done this? I filed W7 4 weeks ago and still no answer. Thanks!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:47 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

Originally Posted by Gigiola
Why did you file for a W7 ?
If you are married and starting the AOS paperwork you should be getting a SSN soon. Also without a work EAD then you technically should not be making any money to get taxed on . Is it for a bank account you are filing it for. There are banks who do not need this and will wait for SSN when you get it.
Patrick
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Hi Patrick,

I filed because it was the only way that this particular bank would open an account for me. I'm married but still in the I-130/K3 process and as I'm retired I won't be applying for an EAD when I arrive, ergo no SSN either.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:45 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Hi Patrick,

I filed because it was the only way that this particular bank would open an account for me. I'm married but still in the I-130/K3 process and as I'm retired I won't be applying for an EAD when I arrive, ergo no SSN either.
Well that makes sense then, will be a while before you can get a SSN wihout an EAD, there are A LOT of things that you can't do here in the US without a SSN. I think also from recollection that a valid K3 holder can get a SSN on entry into the US.
Here in California a person needs a SSN to get a driving license and many other official applications also need SSNs.

I read a while back that the bank files the tax form and that it is only to cover them for liability with the IRS.

Are you presently in the US?

Patrick
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:57 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Well that makes sense then, will be a while before you can get a SSN wihout an EAD, there are A LOT of things that you can't do here in the US without a SSN. I think also from recollection that a valid K3 holder can get a SSN on entry into the US.
Here in California a person needs a SSN to get a driving license and many other official applications also need SSNs.

I read a while back that the bank files the tax form and that it is only to cover them for liability with the IRS.

Are you presently in the US?

Patrick
Patrick, currently the practice is and has been that a K3er does NOT get an SSN until they get their EAD.
We went right to the IRS office in London and filed the W7 in person. My husband got his TIN within a month if not less.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

J, try calling the bank branch manager to see what number (might have) come in to them.
I don't recall that we ever collected the ITIN anywhere on paper; just applied and rc'd the SS# in its due time and then updated the number with the bank.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
I think also from recollection that a valid K3 holder can get a SSN on entry into the US.
Patrick
Cindy is right. The K-3 entrant has to wait to get his EAD before he can apply for a SSN. It's the K-1 entrant that has the right to a SSN upon entry to the USA.

Rene
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:34 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Gigiola,

Did you file the W-7 in conjunction with an income tax return? Starting roughly a year ago, the IRS will only process a W-7 when it accompanies a tax return.

Regards, JEff

Old Nov 10th 2004, 9:42 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what i found on the IRS website: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...0.html#receive

How and when can I expect to receive my ITIN?
If you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete, you will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number, usually within four to six weeks. The IRS is changing from an ITIN card to an authorization letter to avoid any possible similarities with a Social Security Number card. Current ITIN holders' cards will not be replaced; they should continue to use the numbers previously issued when they need to supply identifying numbers for tax purposes.
If you have not received your ITIN or other correspondence six weeks after applying, you may call the IRS to find out the status of your application.

Where can I get help with my ITIN application?
You may call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040 for information and help in completing your Form W-7 and your tax return, or to check on the status of your application six weeks after submitting Form W-7.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

No Patrick .. not presently in US .. and more likely to enter with CR than with K3.
Patrick[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jeff,

I read you wrote this somewhere else on a thread, but the bank was quite insistant that I should file the W7 and that they (IRS) would give it to me as the bank was asking for it.

I'll wait the 6 weeks and then Butch can inquire for me.

Not the end of the world if they close the account .. they can't keep the money!!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your input! Jill
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:43 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

Hi Jeff,

I read you wrote this somewhere else on a thread, but the bank was quite insistant that I should file the W7 and that they (IRS) would give it to me as the bank was asking for it.

Not the end of the world if they close the account .. they can't keep the money!!
Is it that you have transferred money to the US and so need to report it to the IRS?
Patrick
Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Jill,

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4244.pdf

Have your bank officer call the referenced IRS 800 number.

Regards, JEff

Hi Jeff,

Old Nov 11th 2004, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

No Patrick, I simply made a deposit when I was there in September. A US bank account and cash/credit card make it easier to pay for stuff on line there .. and Christmas is coming up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.