Reload this Page >

AP success in Detroit - finally

AP success in Detroit - finally

Old Nov 14th 2003, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

esandstr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AP success in Detroit - finally

Hello all,

3 months and 2 days after I sent the I-131 application to the Detroit CIS office, I finally received a letter in the mail telling me to come pick it up within 30 days.

I've probably been worrying waaaaay to much about this, but an x-mas trip to Norway has been riding on this Advance Parole, not to mention a couple of thousands of dollars spent on tickets...

Here's the process (so far - I'm heading out to Detroit next week to get the paperwork)

8.12: Mailed all paperwork + money order
9.31: Received notice of receipt, plus statement saying "this will take 5 months, don't bother calling us until then..."
10.06: Posted questions to BE, worrying, worrying...
10.10: Sent emails to two Michigan senators, asking for help in ascertaining the status of my application
10.17: Got 1st answer from Sen. Levin, saying that they would try to help
10.27: After 3 weeks of trying, calling and waiting, finally got the CIS AP Clerk to verify that my application was "on the officer's desk" and should be done "very shortly"
10.28: Got 2nd letter from Sen. Levin, saying this shouldn't take more than 90 days and that they were almost done
11.14: Notice of completed processing received in mail
11.14: Got 1st letter from the other Senator, saying they'd see what they could find out... :-)

So, off I go to Detroit next week, and off we all go on December 19th to visit family and friends in Scandihoovia!

Best,

Eiolf

PS: I have the correct number + extension for the AP clerk (Sarina Sandusky) if anyone wants it. She turned out to be very nice and tried her best to be helpful.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: AP success in Detroit - finally

Originally posted by esandstr
So, off I go to Detroit next week...

The letter I received says I should be at the CIS office between 7am and 3.30pm to pick up my AP documents in person.

Does anyone know or have any experience whether I should go earlyearly in the morning or if it's ok to "just show up" at some point, like around 11am?

thanks,

Eiolf
Old Nov 14th 2003, 5:16 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

11.14: Got 1st letter from the other Senator, saying they'd see what they could find out... :-)
*LOL* Glad that Senator was of help!

Glad to see everything worked out and you will be on your way to Europe in no time. Congrats and have fun!
Old Nov 14th 2003, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I would go early, from experience the office fills by 11am and you may find yourself waiting outside for someone to leave (they only cram so many in at once).
We were there at 7am for our AOS and there was already a cue.

Jan
Old Nov 14th 2003, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
I would go early, from experience the office fills by 11am and you may find yourself waiting outside for someone to leave (they only cram so many in at once).
We were there at 7am for our AOS and there was already a cue.

Jan
errrrr make that QUE *sigh*
Old Nov 14th 2003, 8:37 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
errrrr make that QUE *sigh*
Not to be a poopoohead, but isn't it "queue" actually?

(Wouldn't even have noticed error hadn't you pointed it out yourself *L*)
Old Nov 15th 2003, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Steffi
Not to be a poopoohead, but isn't it "queue" actually?

(Wouldn't even have noticed error hadn't you pointed it out yourself *L*)
ok shoot me !! darn

Jan
Old Nov 16th 2003, 7:05 am
Mvstolar

greetings - my husband and i simple went to the Detroit office to pick up his
Advance Parol. Piece of cake! Just walk in at anytime, go up to the front
window, show them your AV paper you received in the mail, and voila - the nice
lady looks up your name and there ya go - an AV paper. In and out in 5
minutes.

Couln't believe how easy that was.
Good Luck
Marian and My Dream Come True Parisian Husband - Arno
AOS success Detroit Nov. 10, 2003!!!!

Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mvstolar

Couln't believe how easy that was.
Good Luck
Marian and My Dream Come True Parisian Husband - Arno
AOS success Detroit Nov. 10, 2003!!!!

Greetings and salutations! Thanks for the wonderful information/news - just what I was hoping for! Now I'm gonna take it nice and slow on the way to Detroit - enjoy the trip for once - and pick up the paperwork and dream of x-mas...

Thanks again Marian and Arno!

best wishes,

Eiolf
Old Nov 17th 2003, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

why is there such a thing as "advanced parole" (whatever that means). If it's always given and rarely denied -- why even have it? Why not just let people leave and return using the same paperwork they used to come in???

and why exactly is it so "advanced"???

-= nav =-
Old Nov 17th 2003, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by supernav
why is there such a thing as "advanced parole" (whatever that means). If it's always given and rarely denied -- why even have it? Why not just let people leave and return using the same paperwork they used to come in???

-= nav =-

Oooo, I saw a good and detailed and very complicated explanation the other day in this forum, posted by one of our resident immigration attorneys (glory be to them! :-)

So, there is actually a very good reason why it's called "AP", and there's much more to it than meets the eye... Can anyone remember the thread?

Eiolf
Old Nov 17th 2003, 1:44 pm
former Rochesterian

katina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by supernav

-= nav =-
It's actually "advance parole."
Old Nov 24th 2003, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all!

Ok, went to Detroit on Friday to pick up my AP documents.

After trusting my failing memory a bit too much - taking the wrong exit off I-94 - I finally pulled into the CIS parking lot at 11.35. I went inside, got in the line that leads up to the first counter and waited the 20 minutes or so it took to advance to the front.

Once at the front, the lady behind the counter took my notice letter, dug around a bit in a bin next to her, and pulled out the paperwork. She had me sign the notice letter, explained the workings of the AP for me, and sent me on my way.

That was it!!!!!! Easy as pie, slick as meat loaf, smooth as mashed peas!!!

Eiolf

PS: Oh yeah, I received two documents, one with my picture on for me to keep, and another without a picture for the immigration at the POE (I guess?) The lady said I couls safely surrended my I-94W which is in my passport when I leave.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 3:55 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

3 months and 2 days after I sent the I-131 application to the Detroit CIS office, I finally received a letter in the mail telling me to come pick it up within 30 days.

I've probably been worrying waaaaay to much about this, but an x-mas trip to Norway has been riding on this Advance Parole, not to mention a couple of thousands of dollars spent on tickets...

Here's the process (so far - I'm heading out to Detroit next week to get the paperwork)

9.31: Received notice of receipt, plus statement saying "this will take 5 months, don't bother calling us until then..."
10.10: Sent emails to two Michigan senators, asking for help in ascertaining the status of my application
10.27: After 3 weeks of trying, calling and waiting, finally got the CIS AP Clerk to verify that my application was "on the officer's desk" and should be done "very shortly"
10.28: Got 2nd letter from Sen. Levin, saying this shouldn't take more than 90 days and that they were almost done

So, off I go to Detroit next week, and off we all go on December 19th to visit family and friends in Scandihoovia!

Best,

Eiolf

PS: I have the correct number + extension for the AP clerk (Sarina Sandusky) if anyone wants it. She turned out to be very nice and tried her best to be helpful.

Congrats Eiolf!!!!
Old Nov 24th 2003, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Best,

Eiolf

CONGRATULATIONS !!!