Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS from within or K3 from afar...tough decision for Canadian wife of American

Wikiposts

AOS from within or K3 from afar...tough decision for Canadian wife of American

Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:11 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS from within or K3 from afar...tough decision for Canadian wife of American

Originally Posted by andrea874
if you have so many ongoing (for years, clearly) problems with this forum, and with the people on it - why do you continue to frequent it? Just to harp on the same point over and over again? Yes, it is a valid point. But, it seems to be verging on obsession in almost every post you make.

As I mentioned, I mean you no disrespect, I'm just curious...
Hi Andrea, and thanks for the reply. I enjoy participating in the news group and sharing general information (not case specific advice) that might not otherwise be available. Also, occasionally I learn something valuable from another member.

Whether or not I participate does not change or diminish the danger to the community I serve (Immigrant Community) by those who take it upon themselves to make it a hobby of rendering legal advice over the span of years (I personally draw a distinction between this type of prolific hobbyist and those occasionally sharing what happened in their own personal case). This is done right in the public eye and the posts are archived for years to come. I’m certainly not the only person concerned about this (and I don’t expect the prolific hobbyists to by sympathetic to this subject).

In this particular thread, the OP’s fact pattern certainly reminded me of the fact pattern in the other thread where someone gave the “old line” advice of how to lie one’s way into the U.S. It also related to Mo’s comment about people not being willing to offer that type of advice on line. That’s all.

As far as being tongue and cheek (relating to another posters reply) I don’t buy it. If that were the case, then I wouldn’t have heard comments since that time like, “that was a long time ago and I’ve learned better now”. Just like inadequate explanation of the obligations and ways to extinguish the obligations on the I-864, I think the immigrant community deserves better than to be exposed to prolific hobbyists who seem to be learning on the job (eventually). And whey they carry on to a certain level where people seek out their advice, that just poses more of a risk. Yes, the subject matter does come up a lot, and that’s probably because this is an ongoing risk that seems to have no end in sight.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jan 8th 2006 at 10:52 am.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:42 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS from within or K3 from afar...tough decision for Canadian wife of American

Originally Posted by meauxna
<sigh>
If you want to hear what you want to hear, I recommend you meet in private with a US immigration attorney.
I don't think any ethical attorney should go around advising others to commit an illegal act or expose themselves to serious risk. But I'm sure some might do the same harm as is illustrated in the old post referenced in this thread.

While three lefts do make a right, two wrongs no not a right make.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
Hi Andrea, and thanks for the reply. I enjoy participating in the news group and sharing general information (not case specific advice) that might not otherwise be available. Also, occasionally I learn something valuable from another member.

Whether or not I participate does not change or diminish the danger to the community I serve (Immigrant Community) by those who take it upon themselves to make it a hobby of rendering legal advice over the span of years (I personally draw a distinction between this type of prolific hobbyist and those occasionally sharing what happened in their own personal case). This is done right in the public eye and the posts are archived for years to come. I’m certainly not the only person concerned about this (and I don’t expect the prolific hobbyists to by sympathetic to this subject).

In this particular thread, the OP’s fact pattern certainly reminded me of the fact pattern in the other thread where someone gave the “old line” advice of how to lie one’s way into the U.S. It also related to Mo’s comment about people not being willing to offer that type of advice in the forum. That’s all.

Gotchya. Thanks for the reply!

Best,
-andrea
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:00 am

I think the whole problem of re-entering after marriage lies in intent.
If one honestly intends to re-enter the U.S as a visitor and
demonstrates at the POE that one intends to visit their spouse, but not
to stay in the U.S, then how can you then apply for AOS without it
being fraudulent? It is truly a catch-22. And if you re-enter knowing
that you intend to apply for AOS then well, but tell the immigration
officials otherwise, you are boldfaced lying to get into the U.S...

Hence the need to discuss with an immigration lawyer.

Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
It would have been fairer to the public in general and to those that search archives for information to have posted the entire thread. Here is it folks.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ricky+business

As you can see when you read the entire thread (4 plus pages) and my response which Mr. Udall has cut and pasted here out of context that my responses where tongue in cheek and quite sarcastic when taken in its entirety, postwise and threadwise. Also not posted was the first paragraph of that post.
Well, if you want others to be able to read your posting context (to see if it was made tongue in cheek) perhaps reading the “original” thread where you gave this advice would help. Here you go:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.v...e0d8ee2c33ebb9

It even features your ol tag team UPL buddy, and references to Chuck’s tourist adjustment page. Memories…
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:35 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
And some immigration attorneys and USCIS personnel are still telling people that the 10-foot pole issue might or might not be an issue for them. Go figure. Guess what is said behind closed doors don't count ;-)
The CIS officers (at least most of them) are not attorneys, and I doubt the one’s that are attorneys are in positions to answer questions on the 800 number or over the counter during an infopass appointment. And I don’t think ethical attorneys should go around advising others to commit an illegal act and expose themselves to risk.

Are suggesting that the level of legal advice available to the immigrant community be governed by the least common denominator theory (if someone out there gives bogus advice, then its OK for everybody to do it)?

Edit: If you want me to call you Rete, I can do that for you (are you sure you wouldn't prefer a nice Star Wars character name?). Please refer to me as Pappa Bear in the future. Thanks ;-).

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Jan 8th 2006 at 11:38 am.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:35 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I don't see what the difference would be if the couple is married or unmarried at entry. To me it sounds like the same end game: entry with a non-immigrant option with intent to immigrate at that entry. I've never heard of a distinction between married/unmarried or that unmarrieds-at-the-time-of-entry get some kind of special blessing from USCIS for being newlyweds.
That's exactly the point I was trying to make! You rule
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:36 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
Gotchya. Thanks for the reply!

Best,
-andrea

Do you mean you are the best??
Old Jan 8th 2006, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really have anything to add to this thread... but I did want to mention that I am thoroughly enjoying the exchange! It's quite entertaining.

Ian
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
Do you mean you are the best??
Well, I think we all know that already!