Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS - what supporting evidence of relationship is required, if any?

AOS - what supporting evidence of relationship is required, if any?

Old Feb 21st 2003, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default AOS - what supporting evidence of relationship is required, if any?

Hi again,

I'm still working on the AOS, and I was wondering if we have to show any evidence of our marriage. We were just married a week ago and have not yet established any joint accounts. All we have to show that we were married is a copy of our marriage license.

Does INS want pictures of the wedding, any joint accounts, etc. All the bills are in my name right now.

Also, from what I can tell... we only need to submit the following

I-485 with copies of marriage license, foreign spouse's birth certificate, I-94 front and back, copy of visa, copy of approval notice (K1), vaccination record received at interview.

G-325A 1 set for foreign spouse with 2 ADIT photos

I-765 with photocopy of I-94 front and back, 2 more ADIT photos

I-864 with sponsor's employment letter, 2 recent paystubs and last three tax returns.

IS THIS IT???

any help would be appreciated. I have looked at the kamya website but the experiences for my area are from mid last year. I'm using the SF district office, anyone else out there using the same ???

Thanks,

Kat
Old Feb 21st 2003, 8:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS - what supporting evidence of relationship is required, if any?

Originally posted by katnap8
Hi again,

I'm still working on the AOS, and I was wondering if we have to show any evidence of our marriage. We were just married a week ago and have not yet established any joint accounts. All we have to show that we were married is a copy of our marriage license.

Does INS want pictures of the wedding, any joint accounts, etc. All the bills are in my name right now.

Nothing as yet. Start saving up things for the AOS interview.

I-485 with copies of marriage license, foreign spouse's birth certificate, I-94 front and back, copy of visa, copy of approval notice (K1), vaccination record received at interview.

Correct

Correct

Correct. However, you might want to include a photocopy of the I-485 as back as the petitions are separated when received.

I-864 with sponsor's employment letter, 2 recent paystubs and last three tax returns.

I included the bank letter with ours.

IS THIS IT???

any help would be appreciated. I have looked at the kamya website but the experiences for my area are from mid last year. I'm using the SF district office, anyone else out there using the same ???

With the exception of not being able to hand deliver it anymore to the SF office, the filing experiences are the same. Hope you will add your experience so it has a more current one for others to go by.

Thanks,

Kat
Old Feb 21st 2003, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazeychain is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks K for raising this, and Rete for answering...I always think I'm missing something.

Can you tell me if it is acceptable to send copies of the marriage licence and birth certificates, tax documents and I-864 employers letter and keep originals for the interview?

Aaargh, and another thing, must I send them my INS Physician completed vacinne report, or do I hang onto that until interview? It is impossible for me to copy this as it is sealed.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peace,
D.
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 1:52 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dazeychain
Thanks K for raising this, and Rete for answering...I always think I'm missing something.

Can you tell me if it is acceptable to send copies of the marriage licence and birth certificates, tax documents and I-864 employers letter and keep originals for the interview?

Aaargh, and another thing, must I send them my INS Physician completed vacinne report, or do I hang onto that until interview? It is impossible for me to copy this as it is sealed.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peace,
D.
Yes. Only send copies. Be sure that all filing marks on your copies show up as in the originals. Bring all originals to the AOS interview.

Only my personal thoughts on the vaccine report. I would not mail it with the I-485 but instead bring it to the AOS Interview. As a K-1 recipient you should not have to include it with the I-485 at the time of filing.

Rete
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rete. I'm thinking to keep the vaccine form too, as I have no way of copying it.

Peace,

D.
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 2:41 am
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by katnap8
Hi again,

IS THIS IT???

Thanks,

Kat

Kat-

When we filed Stantton's AOS, they specifically required a "Certified" copy of the marriage certificate. This is a copy of the marriage certificate with the stamp (like a notary) on the document. When we went to the courthouse to file the marriage license, we got several "certified" copies of the license. They were $2 a copy, but this way we could give INS one, use one for DMV (for my name change), and such. We are using the Arlington, Va. office. Standing outside the office, we met another couple that was filing their AOS that day as well, and they were denied due to not having a certified copy of the marriage certificate, as well as not having done the medical prior to filing. I don't know if this will apply to San Fansico, but just wanted to give you our experience.

Kimberly
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

FlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to all

The instructions on certain versions of forms, web sites, etc., say all sorts of things, but the current policy is clearly NO originals. If you get an AOS packet these days (which I recommend even if you are using all electronic fillable forms) there is a small piece of paper stating this. The only thing you need an original of is that the first I-864 must be an original notarized copy because that is a legal contract stating you will pay if your spouse tries to get on welfare. If you are filing for kids at the same time, copies of that first I-864 are all you need for each of them.

Include the affidavit they recommend with your packet that is just a signed and dated letter certifying that all copies are copies of true and original documents and that the original can be provided at the time of interview.

Check the INS website and look at the instructions for your particular office. It will tell you if you need the medical in advance or not. Perhaps Kat did hers a long time ago or had a unique office since most offices do not allow walk-in traffic for an AOS, you have to mail it.

-fr

Originally posted by imkimmy
Kat-

When we filed Stantton's AOS, they specifically required a "Certified" copy of the marriage certificate. This is a copy of the marriage certificate with the stamp (like a notary) on the document. When we went to the courthouse to file the marriage license, we got several "certified" copies of the license. They were $2 a copy, but this way we could give INS one, use one for DMV (for my name change), and such. We are using the Arlington, Va. office. Standing outside the office, we met another couple that was filing their AOS that day as well, and they were denied due to not having a certified copy of the marriage certificate, as well as not having done the medical prior to filing. I don't know if this will apply to San Fansico, but just wanted to give you our experience.

Kimberly
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

We meet again, FR,

I only have one sealed copy of my vaccine records...would you recommend NOT sending them in with my AOS, and waiting for the interview date to hand them over?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Peace,

D.
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

FlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to allFlightRisk is a name known to all

Are you talking about your medical I-765 forms? You have to go to the INS site and then go the the link for your office. They list specific instructions. My office instructions say they require the medical WITH the AOS and that you can NOT show up in person to file AOS. See what yours says. I recommend doing what the instructions say or they can send the whole packet back to you.

-fr

Originally posted by dazeychain
We meet again, FR,

I only have one sealed copy of my vaccine records...would you recommend NOT sending them in with my AOS, and waiting for the interview date to hand them over?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Peace,

D.
Old Feb 24th 2003, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I'm trying to find out if I need to send the vaccination list that I had done by an INS Physician (I don't need a medical as I'm here on a K1). The Chicago office page doesn't make it clear to me if I have to send this in now or wait until my AOS interview.

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fi...go/aboutus.htm

I think I might just send it anyway rather than risk having an incomplete packet.

Thanks.

Peace,

D.