Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS/Visa waiver running out of time. HELP!!

AOS/Visa waiver running out of time. HELP!!

Old May 16th 2004, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS/Visa waiver running out of time. HELP!!

Originally posted by panther1966uk
Ms Lairdside? I do apologise, :0)

I had a look around and it seems I have to file in Vermont! Oh how this gets worse....lol

Panther1966
If you are going to file I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-864 at the same time, you should file at your local office in VA.
If you are only filing the I-130 then that goes to VT.
Somebody will no doubt correct me If I'm wrong
I originally sent my whole application to Vermont because I didn't read the instructions correctly (duh!) and it was returned to me, telling me to file at my local office. But as you can see from our timeline, everything is going well - so far!
P.S. It took us 4 years to file my AOS because we had to save up the money to pay for it. And it ain't getting any cheaper

Last edited by mrsm; May 16th 2004 at 5:39 am.
Old May 16th 2004, 5:33 am
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

goodness, ray. please, just accept that people marry on visa waivers :) it's not illegal or naughty if it's spur of the moment and unplanned, and people are very much within their rights to adjust status after marrying on a visa waiver. some people really do decide to go for it on a whim.

marrying on a visa waiver is not 'cheating'. it's hard either way - both require sacrifice. either of not seeing your partner or not seeing your family.

anyway, to the person who asked the question originally, definitely do not leave the country if you find yourself out of status. you may well manage to get yourself advance parole and even manage to come back into the country, but by leaving the country the cis will see that as you abandoning your claim and will scrap it. you would have to start all over again. this information was given to me by both a couple of immigration officers and two immigration attorneys.

Last edited by tortoise; May 16th 2004 at 5:35 am.
Old May 16th 2004, 5:35 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by tortoise
goodness, ray. please, just accept that people marry on visa waivers it's not illegal or naughty if it's spur of the moment and unplanned, and people are very much within their rights to adjust status after marrying on a visa waiver. some people really do decide to go for it on a whim.

marry on a visa waiver is not 'cheating'. it's hard either way - both require sacrifice. either of not seeing your partner or not seeing your family.

anyway, to the person who asked the question originally, definitely do not leave the country if you find yourself out of status. you may well manage to get yourself advance parole and even manage to come back into the country, but by leaving the country the cis will see that as you abandoning your claim will scrap it. you would have to start all over again. this information was given to me by both a couple of immigration officers and two immigration attorneys.
It's only seen as abandoning your AOS application if you leave the US without a valid AP. That's the whole point of AP!
Old May 16th 2004, 5:36 am
Nova Scotia Bound.

panther1966uk is an unknown quantity at this point

So like i say, thankyou all for your time and knowledge on this matter, I am somewhat cleared in mind yet more confused. And we are sure they dont do instant " heres your green card " fixes at K Mart via a machine by the exit door now arnt we??????? lol.

Panther
Old May 16th 2004, 5:40 am
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

Originally posted by lairdside
It's only seen as abandoning your AOS application if you leave the US without a valid AP. That's the whole point of AP!
well, that isn't what i was advised by four separate professionals, but i will double check that information again. i'm going down to the denver office next week, so i'll see what they have to say. however, i personally wouldn't chance it. to come back and find my application voided because i was out of status would be hell both financially and emotionally. i think i'll wait till i get the stamp in my passport.
Old May 16th 2004, 5:42 am
Nova Scotia Bound.

panther1966uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh and just another little spanner to throw into the works, would it be possible to apply for EAD before any of the other forms ( I130, I486 ) or am i just being silly?

Panther
Old May 16th 2004, 5:44 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

well, that isn't what i was advised by four separate professionals, but i will double check that information again. i'm going down to the denver office next week, so i'll see what they have to say. however, i personally wouldn't chance it. to come back and find my application voided because i was out of status would be hell both financially and emotionally. i think i'll wait till i get the stamp in my passport.
It's always better not to leave if you have any overstay. Even if you would not be subject to the 3/10/Permanent bars.

Having said that, if someone would not be found excludable for any other reason, would not be subject to the bars above and obtains AP they should be able to leave and re-enter the US without incident or repucussions upon their pending AOS.
Old May 16th 2004, 5:46 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by panther1966uk
Oh and just another little spanner to throw into the works, would it be possible to apply for EAD before any of the other forms ( I130, I486 ) or am i just being silly?

Panther
Nope

The EAD (I-765) is accepted with the I-485 as the basis for eligibility.
Old May 16th 2004, 5:46 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

goodness, ray. please, just accept that people marry on visa waivers it's not illegal or naughty if it's spur of the moment and unplanned, and people are very much within their rights to adjust status after marrying on a visa waiver. some people really do decide to go for it on a whim.
My answer to that is BOLLOCKS ...My wife has married over a dozen people who were on VW only 2 was genuine spur of the moment...The vast majority were very well planned...
Old May 16th 2004, 5:47 am
round 2, ding-ding.

It's always better not to leave if you have any overstay. Even if you would not be subject to the 3/10/Permanent bars.

Having said that, if someone would not be found excludable for any other reason, would not be subject to the bars above and obtains AP they should be able to leave and re-enter the US without incident or repucussions upon their pending AOS.
*nods* absolutely. that's what i was talking about when i said it's best not to leave if you are out of status - i.e. you've overstayed your visa.
Old May 16th 2004, 5:48 am
round 2, ding-ding.

Originally posted by ray6
My answer to that is BOLLOCKS ...My wife has married over a dozen people who were on VW only 2 was genuine spur of the moment...The vast majority were very well planned...
yes, i thought that might be your reply.
Old May 16th 2004, 5:48 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by ray6
Mine was ENTIRELY unplanned. I didn't even know that I could AOS when I entered at POE.

Or that I would end up marrying the guy!
Old May 16th 2004, 5:51 am
Howling at the Moon

*nods* absolutely. that's what i was talking about when i said it's best not to leave if you are out of status - i.e. you've overstayed your visa.
I did leave with AP whilst my AOS was pending after entering as a VWT. Urgent reason = court case in the UK

I was a week short of the 180 days when I filed for AOS. In my case all went well but I would have preferred not to have had to have left, if that had been a resonable option. I was in the UK for over 6 months, had to reschedule my first AOS interview.

You name it, it was messed up..lol
Old May 16th 2004, 5:52 am
round 2, ding-ding.

Mine was ENTIRELY unplanned. I didn't even know that I could AOS when I entered at POE.

Or that I would end up marrying the guy!
mine too lol. i have the wedding photos to prove it. if i was going to plan a wedding, i would've made sure i looked a hell of a lot better than i did! hahah. i wore a 15 year old dress and looked like shit.

i also would've had my mum and sister there :|
Old May 16th 2004, 5:55 am
Howling at the Moon

mine too lol. i have the wedding photos to prove it. if i was going to plan a wedding, i would've made sure i looked a hell of a lot better than i did! hahah. i wore a 15 year old dress and looked like shit.

i also would've had my mum and sister there :|
Yeah, would have been nice to have had my family there. Or at least SOMEONE.

My stepson tried to fly back from New Orleans to be there but couldn't make it in time. It was too short notice even for friends.

In the end one of the staff at the office was our witness! Rather apt as she was an immigrant..lol

Always planned on a blessing at some point. Doesn't look as if that will happen now though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.