Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS and SSN - urgent help needed !

Wikiposts

AOS and SSN - urgent help needed !

Old Jan 6th 2003, 5:50 am
Just Joined

yuppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS and SSN - urgent help needed !

Hi,

My marriage based AOS is pending with the INS. I somehow lost my SSN card and went to the SSA for a replacement. They plugged in my A# and it said status pending. They said they would verify my status with the INS before issuing me a new SS card and that it takes 6-8 weeks to get the verification. It has been 3 months and I have been calling the SSA back and forh but nothing from the INS so far. I don't know what to do. It's very frustrating..... Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 6:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS and SSN - urgent help needed !

Originally posted by yuppy
Hi,

My marriage based AOS is pending with the INS. I somehow lost my SSN card and went to the SSA for a replacement. They plugged in my A# and it said status pending. They said they would verify my status with the INS before issuing me a new SS card and that it takes 6-8 weeks to get the verification. It has been 3 months and I have been calling the SSA back and forh but nothing from the INS so far. I don't know what to do. It's very frustrating..... Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.
I would hope that somewhere you have written down what your SSN is. The number will remain the same so that is not a problem. What do you need the physical card for?

Rete
Old Jan 6th 2003, 6:40 am
Just Joined

yuppy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I do know my SSN. But still it's is an important document to have. You don't know when someone would ask you for it. I am unemployed right now and just wondering if my new employer would require my SS card, though it hasn't happened in the past. I do have a lot of documents like pay stubs, W-2s, statements, etc with my SSN on them.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point

We actually used the SSN card to apply for a driver's license, it is one choice of the many ID requirements for the State of Virginia.
Old Jan 6th 2003, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My husband from Germany has his SSN card and is disappointed that no one actually asked to see it yet. Even when he was hired at his job, a very well known large company they just wanted the number not the card.

I am 31 years old (USC) and I have just obtained my SSN card I have lived my whole life without it, I only have it because I had changed my name and they sent it.

So just get a new one and don't worry while you wait!

Good Luck
Old Jan 6th 2003, 8:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yuppy
Yes, I do know my SSN. But still it's is an important document to have. You don't know when someone would ask you for it. I am unemployed right now and just wondering if my new employer would require my SS card, though it hasn't happened in the past. I do have a lot of documents like pay stubs, W-2s, statements, etc with my SSN on them.
You will get the replacement eventually in the mail. Hound them, however, in another week or so to be sure that they did place a vertification request.

As for needing the card, I can relate that my daughter lost her card at the age of 18 and until the age of 31, she was never asked to show her ss card to any employer or even the VA DMV. Although she did apply for a replacement last spring.

I've changed jobs twice in the last year and never was asked for the card either. Just wrote the number in the appropriate spot.

But you are 100% correct. It is important to have the actual document.

Rete
Old Jan 6th 2003, 8:18 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the places I've worked photocopied my SS card when I was hired. One office even told me I wouldn't be put on pay roll until they could photocopy my SS card! I freaked out because I didn't remember where I left it, but I did find it eventually. I guess it depends on the individual work place.

Juliet
Old Jan 7th 2003, 3:00 pm
Richard III

All -

I lost my SS card in January of 1967 when my pocket was picked in
Hollywood, CA. I JUST applied for a replacement because I thought
that there was a chance that SOMEONE might ask for it during this
I-130/I-129F/K-3/K-4 process. The truth is, in the intervening 35
years, I NEVER needed it.

Richard III

On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 18:50:13 +0000, yuppy
wrote:

>Hi,
    >My marriage based AOS is pending with the INS. I somehow lost my SSN
    >card and went to the SSA for a replacement. They plugged in my A# and it
    >said status pending. They said they would verify my status with the INS
    >before issuing me a new SS card and that it takes 6-8 weeks to get the
    >verification. It has been 3 months and I have been calling the SSA back
    >and forh but nothing from the INS so far. I don't know what to do. It's
    >very frustrating..... Can anyone help please?
    >Thanks in advance.
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 10th 2003, 2:12 pm
Soft

On Mon, 06 Jan 2003 21:04:34 +0000, Rete
wrote:

>Originally posted by yuppy
    >> Yes, I do know my SSN. But still it's is an important document to
    >> have. You don't know when someone would ask you for it. I am
    >> unemployed right now and just wondering if my new employer would
    >> require my SS card, though it hasn't happened in the past. I do have a
    >> lot of documents like pay stubs, W-2s, statements, etc with my SSN on
    >> them.
    >You will get the replacement eventually in the mail. Hound them,
    >however, in another week or so to be sure that they did place a
    >vertification request.
    >As for needing the card, I can relate that my daughter lost her card at
    >the age of 18 and until the age of 31, she was never asked to show her
    >ss card to any employer or even the VA DMV. Although she did apply for
    >a replacement last spring.
    >I've changed jobs twice in the last year and even was asked for the card
    >either. Just wrote the number in the appropriate spot.
    >But you are 100% correct. It is important to have the actual document.
    >Rete

I find that very odd. It wouldn't fly here in MO.I have been working
this past year in HR ( not my usual job but because of layoffs here I
am doing this) We not only ask to see the SS card, We make a copy of
it and a second form of ID. No one gets a job without 2 forms of ID
here and I have been working for 3 seperate companies as a temp. All 3
places follow the same proceedure.
Kazrryl