Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS, snow, voting and "avuse"! (long, of course)

AOS, snow, voting and "avuse"! (long, of course)

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:13 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS, snow, voting and "avuse"! (long, of course)

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Ok, well there is nothing about custody papers for children BUT now that I read the letter for the interview (not the original letter stating what we needed for the interview) it does have "Original birth/marriage/divorce certificates for you, spouse, children" ,, the question is now what to do, my son's name is under my ex-wife's maiden name and the same for my step daughter, even if someone in Ireland went first thing on Monday, the best I could produce would be a faxed copy of them and even then I do not know if they will give birth certs on the day at the local office and to whom they would give them.

Arrggghhhhh!!!!

Patrick
I guess they really do send out different letters then? I wondered about that. Also, we only got one letter, back in October, with the date/time/address of the interview and two lists on it: "What you MUST bring" and "What else you should bring".

About the birth certificates for Mr. P's daughters back in the UK: those were asked for as part of the original K1 interview in London (even if the children were not immigrating with him), so when he was preparing for that, he ordered a few extra certified copies. I actually couldn't even FIND the copies of the birth certificates for my kids, so last week I went down to the county clerk and got a couple of copies. Glad I did.

Are you on good terms with your ex-wife? Could she overnight them to you if you paid for it? Or maybe your parents are still there? In England, you can go in and request a birth certificate for ANYONE and get it. You don't have to have the parents' permission.

~SG
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:16 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
I guess they really do send out different letters then? I wondered about that. Also, we only got one letter, back in October, with the date/time/address of the interview and two lists on it: "What you MUST bring" and "What else you should bring".

About the birth certificates for Mr. P's daughters back in the UK: those were asked for as part of the original K1 interview in London (even if the children were not immigrating with him), so when he was preparing for that, he ordered a few extra certified copies. I actually couldn't even FIND the copies of the birth certificates for my kids, so last week I went down to the county clerk and got a couple of copies. Glad I did.

Are you on good terms with your ex-wife? Could she overnight them to you if you paid for it? Or maybe your parents are still there? In England, you can go in and request a birth certificate for ANYONE and get it. You don't have to have the parents' permission.

~SG
Ex-wife will DEFINITELY not send them, will have to get on the phone on Monday and see if my Mom can get them (she is 85) or my brother.
If I don't get them, I presume the approval (thinking positively) will be delayed until I present them?

Patrick
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

SG & MrP,

After reading over the new post Patrick just asked about police reports, I just had a horrid thought. All we have are the police reports hubby used in London for the K1 interview. Did you 2 get new police reports for the interview? Were you asked about police reports at all?? Do these reports expire, I wonder?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:35 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
SG & MrP,

After reading over the new post Patrick just asked about police reports, I just had a horrid thought. All we have are the police reports hubby used in London for the K1 interview. Did you 2 get new police reports for the interview? Were you asked about police reports at all?? Do these reports expire, I wonder?
Jamie, breathe!

Actually, we got lucky on this one. She didn't ask us for the police certificate, and we didn't get a new one. The Police certificates are good for one year, but since our AOS interview and his K1 interview were exactly one year to the day apart, we figured we were safe since he's lived here for the last ten months and they would have record of any arrests or problems in the US at their disposal. (there wouldn't BE any, but still)......

Our AOS letter simply says this at the bottom:
"If you have ever been arrested, for each arrest, bring the related Police Report and the original or certified Final Court Disposition, even if the charges have been dismissed or expunged (love that word!). If no court record is available, furnish a letter from the court with jurisdiction indicating this."

This didn't apply, so we didn't worry about it. And you shouldn't either, unless of course Scott is one of them "dodgy" types.

~SG
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:38 pm
The Missus

Ex-wife will DEFINITELY not send them, will have to get on the phone on Monday and see if my Mom can get them (she is 85) or my brother.
If I don't get them, I presume the approval (thinking positively) will be delayed until I present them?

Patrick
One of Mr. Folinsky's rules: "Don't try to get into the DAO's head. More than likely you will be wrong."

I would certainly make every effort to get the certificates since it is listed on the letter of things you should bring. But, you may be just fine without it? I really don't have an answer. All I know is that I was glad I took the trip to the county clerk last week because she wanted them for all the kids--those living with us and apart from us. Don't worry, just do what you can.

~SG
(suddenly feeling like she's incited a riot..... )
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:39 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Jamie, breathe!

Actually, we got lucky on this one. She didn't ask us for the police certificate, and we didn't get a new one. The Police certificates are good for one year, but since our AOS interview and his K1 interview were exactly one year to the day apart, we figured we were safe since he's lived here for the last ten months and they would have record of any arrests or problems in the US at their disposal. (there wouldn't BE any, but still)......

"If you have ever been arrested, for each arrest, bring the related Police Report and the original or certified Final Court Disposition, even if the charges have been dismissed or expunged (love that word!). If no court record is available, furnish a letter from the court with jurisdiction indicating this."

This didn't apply, so we didn't worry about it. And you shouldn't either, unless of course Scott is one of them "dodgy" types.

~SG
Actually my letter says the same, police reports of any crimes etc.
DANG, I wish they could have stuck to the same format in both letters.
Patrick
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Actually my letter says the same, police reports of any crimes etc.
DANG, I wish they could have stuck to the same format in both letters.
Patrick
You don't need a police report if you married on the visa waiver...
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

And you shouldn't either, unless of course Scott is one of them "dodgy" types.

~SG
I just love those bad boy types! Thanks for the info!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie, breathe!

~SG
Hmmmm...Sadegh's police/court report (clean record) from Turkey will be over a year old when we have our interview. I hope our letter says what yours did, and that he won't have to get a new Turkish report!! It took months and lottttts of legwork in person just to get that one!!

Has anyone really needed a new, updated police report if their interview was more than a year after the first police report?

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:00 pm
The Missus

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hmmmm...Sadegh's police/court report (clean record) from Turkey will be over a year old when we have our interview. I hope our letter says what yours did, and that he won't have to get a new Turkish report!! It took months and lottttts of legwork in person just to get that one!!

Has anyone really needed a new, updated police report if their interview was more than a year after the first police report?

Rene
My opinion (and it is just that!) is that you won't have a problem if he hasn't gotten into any trouble since he's been here. Just out of curiosity though: how long was it between the date on the report and the date he immigrated?

~SG
(wants to use all the "Xanax online!" spam I get and order some for everyone on this thread!)
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:14 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

The purpose of posting our experience was *NOT* to scare all of you who are facing your interview, or to make you more nervous than you already will be, or to upset you in ANY way.
Oh no worries at all! In reality her behaviour is probably exactly what I expected. So no worries at all. We just appreciate you telling us exactly how things went.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion (and it is just that!) is that you won't have a problem if he hasn't gotten into any trouble since he's been here. Just out of curiosity though: how long was it between the date on the report and the date he immigrated?

~SG
(wants to use all the "Xanax online!" spam I get and order some for everyone on this thread!)
SG, thanks for the xanax. LOL Sadegh got his police/court report the day before his interview, his visa came the day after his interview, and he left Turkey about 4 days after that. So, about a week between the police report and his entrance into the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick
You mean in the unlikely event that they ask you for something they haven't asked you for?
Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:21 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
And why is this? You mean where I married on the VWP my husband doesn't NEED THIS?
The problem with the visa waiver is that you cannot use it unless you have a clear criminal record and if you haven't it must be listed and then it is up to the POE officer.
Patrick
Old Jan 8th 2005, 1:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
And why is this? You mean where I married on the VWP my husband doesn't NEED THIS?
Actually it means because the USCIS does not require you to get one from your home country nor from any country you have lived in for more than six months after the age of 16.

This was a sore subject a few years back and another ten foot pole issue because a regular here back then was telling people who had criminal records to go the VWP method, marry and file and not disclose their past dealings with the law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.