Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS, snow, voting and "avuse"! (long, of course)

AOS, snow, voting and "avuse"! (long, of course)

Old Jan 7th 2005, 6:13 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default Re: AOS, snow, voting and "avuse"! (long, of course)

Originally Posted by Ray
Dont believe her Patrick ...you are going to go thru a living hell...
LOL... well my wife has often said that if we got denied we would just move back to Ireland,,,, maybe we should book some flights now

Patrick
Old Jan 7th 2005, 6:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Oh Patrick, let me make it clear that we *did* ask her to wait just a moment, several times. We were as calm and collected as one could possibly be during that. The thing was, when you would say, "I'll get that out of this folder" she would immediately say, "I also need the ..... and the ...... and the .......". I have a pretty damn good memory, but remembering a sequence of 12 documents is outside my capability at the best of times.

As far as "doing the dance" we were willing to tango and do the Macarena if she had asked us to. I would have stopped at the "Chicken Dance" though.

I have to tell you that the great majority of people in the waiting room had lawyers with them, and I suppose that would have been really helpful in this situation.

Sounds dramatic, but the first word that came to my mind after we walked out of her office was "gang-raped". I'm pretty collected and composed in situations like that, but I really felt demeaned and violated. Such is life. Hopefully we won't get called for an interview to remove conditions. However, I'd do anything to keep my Mr. P with me here, so if that's what it takes, we'll persevere.

At this point we're really just glad it's over!
~SecretGarden

Congrats kiddos!!!
There are two things that would have distracted me totally-the thought that the giant flower might squirt water when she pressed a bulb so then I would stare at the flower fixedly and duck if she turned in my direction!! The other is the avuse term. I would worry that it was some new CIS terminology that we weren't aware of that so I wouldn't be paying attention to the rest of what she said !!!
Old Jan 7th 2005, 6:40 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats you two. It seems like only last year when Mr Pink was posting his K1 report.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:07 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
WOW.....

Congrats you guys. I'm going to make sure to take a tranquilizer when we go after hearing THAT story. And I thought they treated us horribly at his fingerprinting! So, do you recommend us bringing our lawyer? We were planning on it, and then we weren't sure about it. I do have a question for Mr Pink. You say you have 2 kids and she wanted to see their birth certificates? Do they live HERE in the USA with you? Garry has kids but they live with the PSYCHOEXWIFEFROMHELLINTHEUK. Just checking to see if we need his kids birth records if they don't live with us. My God, more paperwork! Glad it all turned out great for you!

Deb
Hi,
She wasn't interested at all in my three children who live with us here in the US, although it did say on our appt. letter to bring birth certificates of ALL children you and your petitioner (USC) have, including those not living with you. She did take the birth certs. of Mr. P's two daughters.

Our letter also said that we needed divorce decrees for all prior marriages and CUSTODY papers for all children either living with you or not living with you. We brought my dissolution of marriage and joint parenting agreement for my kids, and his Decree Nisi and Decree Absolute and a Residency Order that his ex-wife had drawn up when he immigrated. She took all of that, for all the kids.

If your appt. letter indicates you should bring this, then do. Might want to get copies of that stuff now if you don't have it already. Hope this helps.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:08 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Ha! That's what you say now, but give it that 2 or 3 year wait and then report

Patrick and mcjimbo: Don't worry!
ha! I already said I wouldn't do the Chicken Dance!

~SG
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:13 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Hi,
She wasn't interested at all in my three children who live with us here in the US, although it did say on our appt. letter to bring birth certificates of ALL children you and your petitioner (USC) have, including those not living with you. She did take the birth certs. of Mr. P's two daughters.

Our letter also said that we needed divorce decrees for all prior marriages and CUSTODY papers for all children either living with you or not living with you. We brought my dissolution of marriage and joint parenting agreement for my kids, and his Decree Nisi and Decree Absolute and a Residency Order that his ex-wife had drawn up when he immigrated. She took all of that, for all the kids.

If your appt. letter indicates you should bring this, then do. Might want to get copies of that stuff now if you don't have it already. Hope this helps.

~SecretGarden
I just checked my letter for my interview requirements, it makes no mention of my children's birth certs. I would have BIG problems getting that in time for next week if it is required. ??

Patrick
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to take an apparently not so popular position and ask "What about this interview makes it the interview from hell?" The examiner did what she was suppose to do. She might have not been chatty and overly friendly but she did her job for all intents and purposes and did it correctly and effectively for both the department and the beneficiary of benefits.

The fact that she mentioned that the security clearance had not been completed does not go against her but rather, IMHO, in her favor as it showed her to be upfront about the status of your petition. Also that she might or might not have been throwing random curve balls to catch you in a lie is also in her favor as that is her job ... to weed out the fraudulent petitioners.

Yes she asked for documents, one after the other, but if you have a checklist of what you brought with you and a pencil you could have checked off the documentation requested and if the documentation were tabbed you then would have been able to get to it immediately without hesitancy. However, that is not a necessity. If she was to quick and you had to look for what was requested then she would have had to wait. It is as simple as that. You might have slowed her down by smiling and saying something to the effect: I have three speeds, first, second and third gear. Right now I think I'm in reverse.

Patrick, it is their ballroom, their orchestra and their party that you have asked to attend. It they want to polka and you want to waltz, do your best to get your feet moving appropriately but if you find that you can't manage the polka without tripping head first into the first row of strings, ask if they can play a waltz so that you can stop tripping over yourself in an effort to please.

Rita

Originally Posted by UKintheUSA
WOW.....

Congrats you guys. I'm going to make sure to take a tranquilizer when we go after hearing THAT story. And I thought they treated us horribly at his fingerprinting! So, do you recommend us bringing our lawyer? We were planning on it, and then we weren't sure about it. I do have a question for Mr Pink. You say you have 2 kids and she wanted to see their birth certificates? Do they live HERE in the USA with you? Garry has kids but they live with the PSYCHOEXWIFEFROMHELLINTHEUK. Just checking to see if we need his kids birth records if they don't live with us. My God, more paperwork! Glad it all turned out great for you!

Deb
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
LOL... well my wife has often said that if we got denied we would just move back to Ireland,,,, maybe we should book some flights now

Patrick

A defeatist attitude always seems to be self-fulfilling.

Why not throw that attitude in the Bay, Patrick. Let the gulls feed on it instead of your worries.

Rita
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:33 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by Rete
Patrick, it is their ballroom, their orchestra and their party that you have asked to attend. It they want to polka and you want to waltz, do your best to get your feet moving appropriately but if you find that you can't manage the polka without tripping head first into the first row of strings, ask if they can play a waltz so that you can stop tripping over yourself in an effort to please.

Rita
LOL.... I was never too good at dancing, my wife is a good dancer though

Well I suppose it will have to be "yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir"

Patrick
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:35 pm
The Missus

Ok.........to anyone reading this thread!

The purpose of posting our experience was *NOT* to scare all of you who are facing your interview, or to make you more nervous than you already will be, or to upset you in ANY way. I can speak for him as well when I say that if that is the effect our thread has had on you, we're both terribly sorry. This was simply meant to be a report of what happened to us, and I'm sure that you realize that every office is different and certainly every adjudicator is different. To be honest, they must get pretty damn sick and tired of people coming in there unprepared or dropping things (you wouldn't believe how many people just came in with piles of loose papers---no folder or anything!) and it's important to remember that your experience may not be like ours. The other thing is this was CHICAGO, not a smaller and perhaps "friendlier" office. Or maybe the adjudicator is just so efficient that she doesn't stop for a second. Who knows?

Either way, I'm going to attempt to answer some of the other questions that have popped up along the way, but please to all of you: don't panic. Keep in mind that we kept our cool, gave her what she asked for, and she gave us what we were there for: the prized stamp. We sincerely didn't mean to cause you all any more anguish! Ok, on to the questions then! whew!

~SG
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:40 pm
The Missus

Rete,
I agree with everything you just said. The point was that even when we asked her to slow down, she didn't. It was during the miliseconds of "downtime" when we were removing things from folders that she started in with more questions. Everything was organized really well and to be honest, tabs would have slowed us down even more. The paperclips were almost too much!

But as I said to Patrick and the rest---we gave her what she wanted, and she gave us what we came for. That's what counts!

~SG
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:47 pm
The Missus

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
I just checked my letter for my interview requirements, it makes no mention of my children's birth certs. I would have BIG problems getting that in time for next week if it is required. ??

Patrick
Check your letter again. Our letter says this about the children, under "What else should you bring?"

--If you have children, bring a Birth Certificate for *each* of your children.
--If either you or your spouse were ever married before, all divorce decrees/death certificates for each prior marriage/former spouse
--Birth certificates for all children of this marriage, and custody papers for your children and for your spouse's children not living with you.

Does your letter mention this at all? Also, Patrick about the bank statements: you can't bring what you don't have. She simply asked for evidence of financial assets and liability and we had brought the bank statements from the last year. If you weren't on the account until this past month, don't sweat it---just bring what you have.

Does this help?
~SG
Old Jan 7th 2005, 7:56 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

Check your letter again. Our letter says this about the children, under "What else should you bring?"

--If you have children, bring a Birth Certificate for *each* of your children.
--If either you or your spouse were ever married before, all divorce decrees/death certificates for each prior marriage/former spouse
--Birth certificates for all children of this marriage, and custody papers for your children and for your spouse's children not living with you.

Does your letter mention this at all? Also, Patrick about the bank statements: you can't bring what you don't have. She simply asked for evidence of financial assets and liability and we had brought the bank statements from the last year. If you weren't on the account until this past month, don't sweat it---just bring what you have.

Does this help?
~SG
Ok, well there is nothing about custody papers for children BUT now that I read the letter for the interview (not the original letter stating what we needed for the interview) it does have "Original birth/marriage/divorce certificates for you, spouse, children" ,, the question is now what to do, my son's name is under my ex-wife's maiden name and the same for my step daughter, even if someone in Ireland went first thing on Monday, the best I could produce would be a faxed copy of them and even then I do not know if they will give birth certs on the day at the local office and to whom they would give them.

Arrggghhhhh!!!!

Patrick
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:06 pm
Concierge

Rete,
I agree with everything you just said. The point was that even when we asked her to slow down, she didn't. It was during the miliseconds of "downtime" when we were removing things from folders that she started in with more questions. Everything was organized really well and to be honest, tabs would have slowed us down even more. The paperclips were almost too much!

But as I said to Patrick and the rest---we gave her what she wanted, and she gave us what we came for. That's what counts!

~SG

I knew you would be well organized SG ;-) I would expect nothing less from you.

Rete
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:08 pm
The Missus

Originally Posted by Rete
I knew you would be well organized SG ;-) I would expect nothing less from you.

Rete
I think the word would be "anal".......anyway, thanks for your feedback! The problem now is putting all this stuff back in some semblance of order for tax time! It's always somethin'........

~SG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.