AOS question

Old Oct 21st 2003, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

London2ATL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS question

Hi All

Once me and my fiance marry (on wednesday!) what do we have to do? I know I have to file an AOS but I keep seeing 'EAD' mentioned on here - what is that? I'm clueless right now with all these abbreviations. Also, how soon after I file my AOS do I get my SSN? Not working is driving me crazy!

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 10:33 am
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS question

Originally posted by London2ATL
Hi All

Once me and my fiance marry (on wednesday!) what do we have to do? I know I have to file an AOS but I keep seeing 'EAD' mentioned on here - what is that? I'm clueless right now with all these abbreviations. Also, how soon after I file my AOS do I get my SSN? Not working is driving me crazy!

Thanks for your help.

hi,
as you know, aos is adjustment of status, ead is employment authorization document.......usually, if your fiance or you entetred on a k1(fiance)visa then you may have gotten a 3 month (90) day temporary stamp for work, for aos you will need another, good for one year, or as the other runs out. ssn is social security number, needed for work purposes too, but also good to have as general proof of id and for filling out forms.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

blenky16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

Thanks for your help.
Once you have filed your AOS and gotten your EAD, head down to the local government office to request a SSN. This is NOT automatically sent to you (at least not in Michigan). Tell them you are adjusting status to become a PR, and that you have an EAD, and they should issue you a SSN card with "Only for work purposes" typed on it. At least this was my experience.

Good luck.

Sean
Old Oct 21st 2003, 3:54 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks for your help.
Take a look at my timeline to get an idea of things since you also went from London to Atlanta (I'm not too far ahead of you). I wouldn't count on being able to work too soon - I was told it would take 2-3 months to receive my EAD (employment authorization document) so I'm not counting on even being able to get a job until around the end of this year to beginning of the next year *sigh*. As far as I know you should be able to file for your SS# at any point if you are a K1. I thought I couldn't file for it until I got married, so that is when I filed for mine.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 3:58 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, in addition I wanted to point out that when you do head down to the SS office to make sure it's been about a month since you entered the country. I went there about 3 weeks after I entered the country and waited a couple of hours only to be told I wasn't in the system yet.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks for your help.
Go to RETE's root post and click on stephenpalik's link...scroll to the bottom of it and there is a glossary of terms and forms. Additionally read the entire site. Most of the questions posted in this forum have answers to be found there.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

London2ATL is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all your advice. I came to ATL on a B2 visa (valid for 6m at a time for up to 10 yrs) and met my fiance whilst I was here on vacation so I don't have a K1.

Therefore, after the wedding, I'll be filing for AOS. Does the EAD come soon after? If I have an EAD do I need an SSN?

Yours confused....!
Old Oct 21st 2003, 6:13 pm
K1 via London

thanks for all your advice. I came to ATL on a B2 visa (valid for 6m at a time for up to 10 yrs) and met my fiance whilst I was here on vacation so I don't have a K1.

Therefore, after the wedding, I'll be filing for AOS. Does the EAD come soon after? If I have an EAD do I need an SSN?

Yours confused....!
To be honest I don't know how the B2 visa works, but you will have to file the papers for the EAD as well. You don't get the EAD by simply filing for the AOS. And as far as I know if you want to get a job you will need a SSN.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

blenky16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Steffi
To be honest I don't know how the B2 visa works, but you will have to file the papers for the EAD as well. You don't get the EAD by simply filing for the AOS. And as far as I know if you want to get a job you will need a SSN.
I believe Steffi is correct here, when you file for your AOS, file for an EAD at the same time. Many times you get your EAD right on the spot (but don't quote me on that), once you have your EAD, you can get your SSN at a local office in your State.

Good luck,
Sean
Old Oct 21st 2003, 6:24 pm
Very Happy Member

Leo Le Brun is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting a SSN was the 1st thing I got done, I got it 2 weeks after arrival (I had the 90-day stamp from JFK). With SSN, I was able to get a learner's permit and open a bank account, then get my SUV financed.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 6:25 pm
K1 via London

Originally posted by blenky16
I believe Steffi is correct here, when you file for your AOS, file for an EAD at the same time. Many times you get your EAD right on the spot (but don't quote me on that), once you have your EAD, you can get your SSN at a local office in your State.
Actually getting the EAD on the spot depends from office to office. I was hoping to be able to drop off my AOS & EAD package in person at the Atlanta office because I heard it would speed up the process, but unfortunately Atlanta strictly says no walk-ups are allowed.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 6:28 pm
K1 via London

Originally posted by Leo Le Brun
Getting a SSN was the 1st thing I got done, I got it 2 weeks after arrival (I had the 90-day stamp from JFK). With SSN, I was able to get a learner's permit and open a bank account, then get my SUV financed.
You only got a learner's permit?? How old are you? *L* I thought once you are over 18 you don't need to get a learner's permit...you just get the regular driver's license. Wow, what a pain! So don't you have to wait for a year to get your real driver's license now?
Old Oct 21st 2003, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future

Oh, in addition I wanted to point out that when you do head down to the SS office to make sure it's been about a month since you entered the country. I went there about 3 weeks after I entered the country and waited a couple of hours only to be told I wasn't in the system yet.
Sorry, slightly digressing off the subject as I am a K1 but...

Hmm, I've heard that too but I came in on October 5th and haven't had a problem getting a SSN. I went and applied for it 5 days after entering the States.

I'm also in Atlanta and the SSA office we went to is just south of South Dekalb Mall on Candler off I-20. It's in a small mini-mall tucked way back. We got there just after it opened and we were number 27 in line, I think we were seen within 30 mins or so. The lady didn't even ask any questions, just processed me very effieciently and told us I'd get my card in the post within a fortnight. She also gave me a reciept to prove I'd applied.

It was very quick, Bill had been expecting to have to take time off work but he actually managed to get to work and only be a little late.

And I'm happy to report my card (marked "valid for work only with INS authorisation) arrived in the post last night. All very painless, unlike the now imminent prospect of having to take a US driving test. eeps.

Can't work yet though. I didn't get the EAD stamp at Hartsfield although the immigration guy there was very happy to do it. However he double checked to see if they were issuing them again yet and unfortunately the answer came back no. Rats. He did give me a form to fill in and told me to go to the local office and assured me that I would be given a temporary 90 day EAD on the spot, no charge.

However, my fiance, having read tales of EAD exploits in Atlanta, wanted to make sure he wouldn't be wasting a day off work taking me to the office and phoned around to find out if that is really the case or not. The verdict came back as NO. There would be a fee of $120 and it might take 90 days to process, hence the temp EAD would be useless. Double rats. We were told we'd be better off filing for an EAD when we adjust status after we're married. Our wedding isn't until 23rd Dec so that really sucks.

pinK
Old Oct 21st 2003, 6:51 pm
K1 via London

Originally posted by pinKaboo
Hmm, I've heard that too but I came in on October 5th and haven't had a problem getting a SSN. I went and applied for it 5 days after entering the States.

I'm also in Atlanta and the SSA office we went to is just south of South Dekalb Mall on Candler off I-20. It's in a small mini-mall tucked way back. We got there just after it opened and we were number 27 in line, I think we were seen within 30 mins or so. The lady didn't even ask any questions, just processed me very effieciently and told us I'd get my card in the post within a fortnight. She also gave me a reciept to prove I'd applied.

It was very quick, Bill had been expecting to have to take time off work but he actually managed to get to work and only be a little late.

And I'm happy to report my card (marked "valid for work only with INS authorisation) arrived in the post last night. All very painless, unlike the now imminent prospect of having to take a US driving test. eeps.
Wow, I'm jeallous. Somehow I seem to have that sort of "luck" where nothing ever goes right. I wonder if it made a difference that I entered the country in Detroit and then took a connection to Atlanta...but somehow I don't see why it would since the information should all go in the same computer system, no? Oh well, I have my SSN now so hopefully things will go right from here.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 7:40 pm
Very Happy Member

Leo Le Brun is an unknown quantity at this point

You only got a learner's permit?? How old are you? *L* I thought once you are over 18 you don't need to get a learner's permit...you just get the regular driver's license. Wow, what a pain! So don't you have to wait for a year to get your real driver's license now?
I am 25 and never had a driving license in France. You only have to hold the permit 60 days and then take a driving test to get the license. I failed twice at the driving test though, and have to wait 14 more days to try again. I am a good driver but the lady-examiner just has something against me, or something. It's alright, I would have had to pay $1000 to get a French driving license and I did not see myself driving a Renault Twingo or Clio like most guys my age back there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.