AOS from K1 Help Guide

Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

jjmadison has a spectacular aura aboutjjmadison has a spectacular aura aboutjjmadison has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: AOS from K1 Help Guide

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
Hi there!

This guide actually got made into a Wiki entry which you can find here:
AOS from K1 help guide

some wording got changed and a few things added in so have a read of that incase theres anything extra that should help you!

10K is a LOT for a lawyer to get you a visa, did you use a visa company or actually use an immigration lawyer? I used a visa company and paid about $2000 (but ended up doing it myself). I learnt the hard way that you must avoid visa companies!!

SSN - I waited till i had my green card for this, mainly because I wasnt in the system the first time i asked (you want to wait 10-15 days after you arrive before you apply for a SSN) and then i figured once I had my greencard you need to go back and get it updated, with lack of jobs and plenty of wedding stuff to sort out I waited till I got my greencard. Its upto you which way you do this, whatever works out easiest!

If all goes smoothly then upto 6 months but many people are getting the process completed in 3 currently. My timeline for AOS was this:

It took me just over 2 months to get my Green card, remember once you have your green card, your EAD and AP arent used anymore - they are just stand-ins while you wait on green card.

Total cost for filing is $1010 and that includes the I-485 fee and biometrics fee, this can be paid for together on one cheque amounting to $1010. There is no fee if you choose to file the EAD and AP with your I-485. Other then that you'll need to pay a civil surgeon to get your vaccines transcribed onto the form I-693, I paid $50 for mine, someone recently paid $90 I think - it varies by doctor, so call around the doctors on the civil surgeon list. You can go get this done as soon as you've arrived. You may find they tell you to have a full medical, take with you print outs of the instructions for the form while clearly states that a K1 visa applicant DOES NOT need a full medical again, just a vaccine transcribe.

AP - once you have it yes your free to travel as you wish (you need your passport too like normal) however rule of thumb is spend more time inside the USA then outside the USA. and be prepared that if your AOS case is processed quickly, you *may* need to go for an interview, so make sure your around for that!

Like the previous post has already said, passport issues are a seperate thing from immigration really, When your passport expires you'll either have to get it renewed at the pasport office in Washington (I think thats where it is) or if your going to be in the UK before it expires Id recommend getting it renewed then. I dont think you have to wait for the passport to be expired/nearly expired to renew it. So if you go back in say october, go ahead and get it renewed.

Good luck if you have any questions or need help feel free to create your own AOS thread and track your progress so that others can see your timeline too!

Pepsi
xxx

Hi Pepsi, What can I say about the concise reply but a great big thankyou. Just got the K1 after so many months of waiting so now getting ready for stage two of the journey.

Sincere thanks to you and all the people who have replied to my questions.

all the best JJ