Wikiposts

AOS from a K-1

Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS from a K-1

These may be dumb questions but I dont want to get this wrong.

When filling out the forms needed for the AOS it asks for my "Family Name" Well I'll be married by this point obviously. But of course the K1 stuff has my original last name. What name should I put?

We looked at getting my last name changed, I'll need to go to the Social Security Office, with social security card, marriage license, birth cert, photo id etc. It also says it only takes about 2 weeks for my new card to come through and name change is then legal.

Is it worth doing all this after getting married and then send off the AOS forms etc? Or wait till the AOS is complete to change name?

I worked out if I enter the USA on the 24th May my 90th day would be August 22nd, we plan to marry on June 23rd. We just have to have the forms sent in and the process started by the 90th day? Not complete?

Last edited by PepsiChic; Mar 29th 2009 at 10:23 am.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
When filling out the forms needed for the AOS it asks for my "Family Name" Well I'll be married by this point obviously. But of course the K1 stuff has my original last name. What name should I put?
If you want your green card to come in your married name, use that name on the AOS forms.

We looked at getting my last name changed, I'll need to go to the Social Security Office, with social security card, marriage license, birth cert, photo id etc. It also says it only takes about 2 weeks for my new card to come through and name change is then legal.
I would go ahead and get your SS card in your maiden name when you arrive on the K-1. After you get your EAD which will be in your married name, you can go change your name at the SS office, and get a new SS card in your married name.

I worked out if I enter the USA on the 24th May my 90th day would be August 22nd, we plan to marry on June 23rd. We just have to have the forms sent in and the process started by the 90th day? Not complete?
You definitely have to get married before the 90 days is up. You should also start the process (send in the AOS forms) before the 90 days is up. You won't have the whole AOS process complete by the 90th day.

Rene
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you want your green card to come in your married name, use that name on the AOS forms.

I would go ahead and get your SS card in your maiden name when you arrive on the K-1. After you get your EAD which will be in your married name, you can go change your name at the SS office, and get a new SS card in your married name.

You definitely have to get married before the 90 days is up. You should also start the process (send in the AOS forms) before the 90 days is up. You won't have the whole AOS process complete by the 90th day.

Rene
Thanks Rene, I know Im probably over-worrying, but I'd hate to send off everything and then get it all back because of a silly mistake like putting the wrong name on it etc.

xxx
Old Mar 29th 2009, 7:39 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I am the Queen of overworriers! I can totally relate!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Post #86 & on.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks, I feel a lot better now, it feels like Im asking a lot of stupid questions but Im a worrier!

anyone mind helping me on this one too?

I-864

Part 1, which box does my USC fiance tick? we'll be married by this point, and his mum is going to fill in a I-864A as a joint sponsor.

we did think he had to tick A. (I am the petitioner. I filed or am filing for the immigration of my relative.)

but then it says relative and...being married does that actually make me a relative?

so we thought it had to be E. (I am the first/second of two joint sponsors.)

but then is he classed as a joint sponsor?

sorry if these seem dumb but I tend to over-read into things and then get worried!
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

A
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
A
thanks! (I feel like an idiot for asking)
Old Mar 30th 2009, 4:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

but then it says relative and...being married does that actually make me a relative?
Once married, you are his Immediate Relative.
Immediate Relatives are spouses, parents and children under 21.

Last edited by meauxna; Mar 30th 2009 at 4:47 am.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:17 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

PC,

Joint Sponsors fill out a separate I-864, not an I-864A. I-864A is a joint form for the Sponsor and a Household Relative.

Sorry if I missed it, but does your fiance live with his mother?

Regards, JEff

I-864

Part 1, which box does my USC fiance tick? we'll be married by this point, and his mum is going to fill in a I-864A as a joint sponsor.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
PC,

Joint Sponsors fill out a separate I-864, not an I-864A. I-864A is a joint form for the Sponsor and a Household Relative.

Sorry if I missed it, but does your fiance live with his mother?

Regards, JEff
yes he does
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Fireblade636 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi its pepsichic!

sorry havent been around, been very busy with family. UGH! gotmarried june 23rd

filling out aos stuff, and i just wondered do i have an A- Number? i thouhgt i read here somewhere its the red number on the visa,but then the form instructions say i dont have one as ive only been here before as a tourist so this is what im more inclinded to think is right

ty for help, will post picture soon!

xxx
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Fireblade636
hi its pepsichic!

sorry havent been around, been very busy with family. UGH! gotmarried june 23rd

filling out aos stuff, and i just wondered do i have an A- Number? i thouhgt i read here somewhere its the red number on the visa,but then the form instructions say i dont have one as ive only been here before as a tourist so this is what im more inclinded to think is right

ty for help, will post picture soon!

xxx
If you entered on a K-1, then yes, you have an A-number. It's not the red number on your visa, it will be a number that startes with "A-xxxx".

It should also be on the NOA2 (I-129F approval notice), or any paperwork you received from the embassy regarding your K-1.

Congratulations on your marriage! Why the change in User Name?

Rene
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:27 am
Just Joined

Fireblade636 is an unknown quantity at this point

thaniks

no change in username, just this computer was logged into his account so i posted sorry!

edit: i have a Axxx xxx xxx number im guessing this would be the right one?

Last edited by Fireblade636; Jul 5th 2009 at 9:38 am.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Fireblade636
thaniks

no change in username, just this computer was logged into his account so i posted sorry!

edit: i have a Axxx xxx xxx number im guessing this would be the right one?
Yep, that's the one!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.