Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview NYC - No longer stamp your passport

AOS Interview NYC - No longer stamp your passport

Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

standrews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS Interview NYC - No longer stamp your passport

We had our AOS interview yesterday, it appears that all went well..we were in the interview for 10minutes max.

The he lady said she was recommending us for approval, she went on to say that in New York State they no longer stamp your passport in the interview and you've got to just wait for the Green Card to show up in the mail...

My problem is that I've got a flight to London in just over 2 weeks and i was told on the phone with the USCIS 1.800 # that if i was approved i'd have a stamp in my passport and that's sufficient to re-enter the US with.

I explained this slight problem and she went on to say that it's problematic to use the Advanced Parole (which i have) at this stage while the I-485 is processing - Is that not the point of the advanced parole?

Anyone else had an interview in New York recently and been told the same thing? Is this accurate that New York no longer stamps in the Passport - she did clarrify this by saying that other states still do that, NJ for example.

Thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview NYC - No longer stamp your passport

It might to be indicative of this particular DAO but not all DAO's in NYC's 26 Fed Plaza Office. I would make an Infopass appointment ASAP and go with your airline tickets, passport and whatever letter of acceptance she gave you and ask for the stamp.

However, I note that she said she was recommending you for approval. That in itself does not mean you were approved. Who was she recommending this to? Her supervisor? Did she say you were going to get a letter in the mail?

Originally Posted by standrews
We had our AOS interview yesterday, it appears that all went well..we were in the interview for 10minutes max.

The he lady said she was recommending us for approval, she went on to say that in New York State they no longer stamp your passport in the interview and you've got to just wait for the Green Card to show up in the mail...

My problem is that I've got a flight to London in just over 2 weeks and i was told on the phone with the USCIS 1.800 # that if i was approved i'd have a stamp in my passport and that's sufficient to re-enter the US with.

I explained this slight problem and she went on to say that it's problematic to use the Advanced Parole (which i have) at this stage while the I-485 is processing - Is that not the point of the advanced parole?

Anyone else had an interview in New York recently and been told the same thing? Is this accurate that New York no longer stamps in the Passport - she did clarrify this by saying that other states still do that, NJ for example.

Thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
It might to be indicative of this particular DAO but not all DAO's in NYC's 26 Fed Plaza Office. I would make an Infopass appointment ASAP and go with your airline tickets, passport and whatever letter of acceptance she gave you and ask for the stamp.

However, I note that she said she was recommending you for approval. That in itself does not mean you were approved. Who was she recommending this to? Her supervisor? Did she say you were going to get a letter in the mail?

That is so strange and she was very clear that New York no longer does the stamp in the passport, stating that each state is different.

I believe 'recommending' was her words but she clearly gave us the impression that we were approved, she asked to see our wedding album, joint bank statements/joint tax returns/utility bills etc and that was all..

She did not give us any documentation but told us to expect that card in the mail in the next few weeks?!?! i'm going to make an infopass appointment as i'm very confused.

She did write in my passport:
I-485 pending 4/18/06
A # .............
Section 245.NYC
D.A.O Hamlin

Thank you,
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Rete - I was just about to say the same thing.

St Andrews - just because one interviewer verbally told you she's not stamping your passport and NY isn't stamping anymore doesn't mean that's the case. In my opinion, not until I saw it in writing by the USCIS that this was the case would I believe it - and even THEN, I would take it on a case by case as it seems not everyone, not every office, makes the same moves or the same changes at the same time.

Do as Rete suggested and take your tickets and every single itsy bitsy piece of info pertaining to your case to an infopass appt and see what you can get.

However, again - in my opinion - if you don't get an AP out of this infopass appt, if the trip isn't an absolute necessity, I mean, if there's not a life depending on it, I'd not go. Yes, I'd be willing to lose the airfare and not go. Hind site is 20/20 and it's better to lose the fare than risk being denied re entry.

Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by janadeen
Rete - I was just about to say the same thing.

St Andrews - just because one interviewer verbally told you she's not stamping your passport and NY isn't stamping anymore doesn't mean that's the case. In my opinion, not until I saw it in writing by the USCIS that this was the case would I believe it - and even THEN, I would take it on a case by case as it seems not everyone, not every office, makes the same moves or the same changes at the same time.

Do as Rete suggested and take your tickets and every single itsy bitsy piece of info pertaining to your case to an infopass appt and see what you can get.

However, again - in my opinion - if you don't get an AP out of this infopass appt, if the trip isn't an absolute necessity, I mean, if there's not a life depending on it, I'd not go. Yes, I'd be willing to lose the airfare and not go. Hind site is 20/20 and it's better to lose the fare than risk being denied re entry.

Thanks, i've made an appointment for tomorrow...I'm the maid of honor in my best friends wedding so the trip is of a pretty high priority.

By AP, do you mean Advanced Parole? - if so i've already got advanced parole but the officer indicated that you dont use it while you're waiting on your green card to show up in the mail?

Thanks,
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - AP = advanced parole.

I hear you on the maid of honor thing but for me, where the USCIS is concerned, nothing is more priority than getting that greencard in hand or being assured I can travel and return to the US with no problems!

I hope that you'd agree (-:

Thanks, i've made an appointment for tomorrow...I'm the maid of honor in my best friends wedding so the trip is of a pretty high priority.

By AP, do you mean Advanced Parole? - if so i've already got advanced parole but the officer indicated that you dont use it while you're waiting on your green card to show up in the mail?

Thanks,
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

That is so strange and she was very clear that New York no longer does the stamp in the passport, stating that each state is different.

I believe 'recommending' was her words but she clearly gave us the impression that we were approved, she asked to see our wedding album, joint bank statements/joint tax returns/utility bills etc and that was all..

She did not give us any documentation but told us to expect that card in the mail in the next few weeks?!?! i'm going to make an infopass appointment as i'm very confused.

She did write in my passport:
I-485 pending 4/18/06
A # .............
Section 245.NYC
D.A.O Hamlin

Thank you,
Hi:

She has stated IN WRITING that your case is "pending." IOW, if you don't have I-551 in hand, you CAN use the AP.

Also, the documentation serves TWO purposes -- one is for boarding and one is for admission.

The AP with that stamp you already have is find for boarding.

If you arrive at US POE and their computer shows adjustment granted, they'll let you in. You may have a procedural mess, but they will let you walk out of the airport.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

She has stated IN WRITING that your case is "pending." IOW, if you don't have I-551 in hand, you CAN use the AP.

Also, the documentation serves TWO purposes -- one is for boarding and one is for admission.

The AP with that stamp you already have is find for boarding.

If you arrive at US POE and their computer shows adjustment granted, they'll let you in. You may have a procedural mess, but they will let you walk out of the airport.

Thank you. I didn't think i was going to have to use my AP but since i might...question, my advanced parole is in my maiden name and since being issued with it i've changed my UK passport to my married name and my I-485 to my married name..With an original marriage certificate in hand will it be okay with the AP and my Passport in 2 different names?
Old Apr 19th 2006, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

Thank you. I didn't think i was going to have to use my AP but since i might...question, my advanced parole is in my maiden name and since being issued with it i've changed my UK passport to my married name and my I-485 to my married name..With an original marriage certificate in hand will it be okay with the AP and my Passport in 2 different names?
Hi:

In MY opinion, I think that is just fine and dandy. However, I am not the airline gate agent who is going to let you board.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

I'm not 100% sure but the way I see it is that A/P cannot be used by a PR since they are free to travel with just their green card. However, you don't have proof that you have a green card approval so unless you have the I-551 stamp or the actual card, you need to have that A/P to return to the US.

To my why of thinking if you are returning to the US and the agent looks up your status online and sees that you are a PR and you are handing them an A/P, all you need do is explain the situation exactly as it is. However, if the agent looks it up on the computer and you are NOT a PR, and you don't have the A/P, then you are SOL.

Just my thoughts.

I wrote before reading F's post
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

I'm not 100% sure but the way I see it is that A/P cannot be used by a PR since they are free to travel with just their green card. However, you don't have proof that you have a green card approval so unless you have the I-551 stamp or the actual card, you need to have that A/P to return to the US.

To my why of thinking if you are returning to the US and the agent looks up your status online and sees that you are a PR and you are handing them an A/P, all you need do is explain the situation exactly as it is. However, if the agent looks it up on the computer and you are NOT a PR, and you don't have the A/P, then you are SOL.

Just my thoughts.

I wrote before reading F's post
Hi:

We're pretty much in agreement here -- the A/P is not really useful once the LPR has been actually granted. However, OP didn't get even oral confirmation that her case HAS been approved -- just the opposite, she was given WRITTEN notice that its still pending.

So, my post was simply meant to be quite practical in case she doesn't have I-551 card in hand.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:23 pm
Capt. Tuttle

Folinskyinla wrote:

>>Thank you. I didn't think i was going to have to use my AP but since
    >>i might...question, my advanced parole is in my maiden name and since
    >>being issued with it i've changed my UK passport to my married name
    >>and my I-485 to my married name..With an original marriage
    >>certificate in hand will it be okay with the AP and my Passport in 2
    >>different names?
    >
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > In MY opinion, I think that is just fine and dandy. However, I am not
    > the airline gate agent who is going to let you board.
    >

At our AOS interview the APs (a new one AND the old one) were taken from
us by the officer. Also, the EAD card. The appointment notice says to
bring everything issued to you to the interview.
If this was an AOS interview why wasn't the AP taken from you? Did I
miss something?
We did get the stamp in Orlando, but from what happened next I wonder
about the training (or lack thereof) of these officers.

Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Capt. Tuttle
Folinskyinla wrote:

>>Thank you. I didn't think i was going to have to use my AP but since
    >>i might...question, my advanced parole is in my maiden name and since
    >>being issued with it i've changed my UK passport to my married name
    >>and my I-485 to my married name..With an original marriage
    >>certificate in hand will it be okay with the AP and my Passport in 2
    >>different names?
    >
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > In MY opinion, I think that is just fine and dandy. However, I am not
    > the airline gate agent who is going to let you board.
    >

At our AOS interview the APs (a new one AND the old one) were taken from
us by the officer. Also, the EAD card. The appointment notice says to
bring everything issued to you to the interview.
If this was an AOS interview why wasn't the AP taken from you? Did I
miss something?
We did get the stamp in Orlando, but from what happened next I wonder
about the training (or lack thereof) of these officers.

We had absolutely everything with us that they asked for (including my EAD card and AP), but she asked for very few things and seemed very content with what she had seen. Therefore i'm still in possession of my AP and EAD card.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

We had absolutely everything with us that they asked for (including my EAD card and AP), but she asked for very few things and seemed very content with what she had seen. Therefore i'm still in possession of my AP and EAD card.
Hi:

This is yet again evidence that your case was NOT approved at the interview, but is still pending.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

This is yet again evidence that your case was NOT approved at the interview, but is still pending.
Yes i'd assumed as much....does that mean we'll likely have to attend another interview? or just they need more time for the checks to be done etc? I'd hazard a guess that we're one of the most straight forward/legitimate cases out there..that's why i'm so confused.

Thanks so much for your help..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.