AOS Interview

Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:55 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS Interview

Originally posted by littlegirllost
Curlylocks, what did ur interview letter say? mine said "This interview is a necessary part of determining eligibilty in this matter". Did yours say that? Is it meant to say that?
I haven't received my appointment letter yet, but I do know that it isn't at all unusual to have an interview. Pretty much everyone has to have one, so don't feel worried that you're an exception and you'll be interrogated.

Kate. xxxx
Old Jan 21st 2004, 6:10 am
Just Joined

mikehand is an unknown quantity at this point

Q. "Is it usual to get your AOS interview before your EAD?"
A. I applied simultaneously for AOS + AP + EAD, got AP first, then had AOS interview, then received EAD subsequently.

What follows below is repeat posting under this subject heading which may possibly help others.

Hi,
I am a Brit, my wife a US citizen, both living in Portland OR. After imagining the spotlight in the face approach, our AOS interview was almost a non-event, so I hope yours is similarly stress free.

My summarized immigration history:
• May2002 filed I-129F Fiancé Petition via Lincoln Nebraska. Advised timescale 70-100 days (think it’s now 150 days), although our approval actually took 120 days.
• Aug-Nov2002 lived in US as a 90 day I-94 visitor for part of wait time.
• Sep2002 I-797 Petition approval received. London Consulate extremely helpful by email and willing to commence visa processing on receipt of my I-797 without waiting for INS Nebraska papers.
• Nov2002 returned London for US Embassy visa interview. Got K-1 visa and flew straight back to US. On entry, 90-day marriage deadline clock started ticking.
• Jan2003 US marriage followed by already prepared Adjustment of Status + Advance Parole + Employment Authorization papers being filed at INS Portland.
• Advance Parole received within weeks (used at Spring Break without problem) and likely 7-9 month timescale advised for approval of remainder.
• Jun2003 surprised by AOS interview notice. We spent over $11 at 6 cents/copy for the heaps of documentation requested for interview, out of which only one sheet (proof of my wife’s employment) was used at interview. I have an 18 year old daughter in London, was asked “have you any other children anywhere in the world?� and was fingerprinted. Temporary travel + work authorisation stamps were entered in my passport. Despite "be prepared for 3 hour visit", our INS Portland interview took less than 20 minutes from start to finish.
• Aug2003 returned from vacation to find green card and employment card in the heap of mail. Mission achieved after 15 months of dedication and frustration! (appreciated that many others wait significantly longer)
• By Jun2005 we have to return and prove we are still married (???)

Best of luck!
Mike
Old Jan 21st 2004, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

kenny803 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by littlegirllost
Is it usual to get your AOS interview before your EAD?
My AOS interview at Baltimore is scheduled for March 16, 2004. My file got transfered from VSC to Baltimore early November but still I have no news on my EAD.
Old Jan 28th 2004, 11:07 am
Just Joined

dano1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have my aos interview in baltimore tomorrow. i received the interview notice for the aos interview before i received the notice for the ead appointment, and i was worried too, however once i received the ead appointment letter, the appointment was only a week away. be patient and you should receive your ead letter soon. hope this helped.

dano1
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

kenny803 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot. I read on the other thread about your interview.
Congrats !

I am very happy for you. Hopefully the background info. comes quickly and you get your passport stamped. Did you check the status of your 485 application using the receipt number? It should have information on your finger printing. I had my finger print taken at Glenmont Service Center during Mid December and when i check the status of my 485 application it tells me BCIS received the finger print results on Dec 29, 2003.

I was under the impression background check meant checking finger prints against FBI criminal file. Probably more to it

Originally posted by dano1
i have my aos interview in baltimore tomorrow. i received the interview notice for the aos interview before i received the notice for the ead appointment, and i was worried too, however once i received the ead appointment letter, the appointment was only a week away. be patient and you should receive your ead letter soon. hope this helped.

dano1