Wikiposts

AOS I-693 RFE

Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:39 pm
Okie

ozmac79 is on a distinguished road
Default AOS I-693 RFE

Bit of back story first to set the scene.

- Moved to USA this year on a K1 visa
- Got married
- Received work/travel authorization card courtesy of forms I-131 and I-765
- I-485 shipped out to California Service Center for processing

So far so good.

Well today we got an RFE concerning the I-693 of all things.

To quote,

"A review of the record indicates that the applicant entered the United States with a valid K-1 nonimmigrant visa.

A review of all the applicant's USCIS records fails to reveal Form DS-2053, DS-3024, DS-3025 or DS-3026, which are the Department of State's medical forms."

In true vague USCIS style, the ominous use of 'or' in that list of culprits does little to pinpoint exactly which form is missing, so we're going the tried and tested route of assuming all of them.

The RFE goes on to say that I need to submit a new I-693. This means I'll need to go to a civil surgeon again.

But weren't these DS forms in the sealed envelope given to me by the Civil Surgeon I had complete my I-693 to start with? That would be the same Civil Surgeon supplied to me via the USCIS's own list of approved surgeons. If that's the case, I wonder if they're going to try and charge me again for their services, or perhaps I should seek a different surgeon instead?

Has anyone else had a similar RFE, or can offer some opinions on the matter?

Thanks for your time to read this rant
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS I-693 RFE

What did you include with your AOS package regarding medical information? Did you go to a USCIS civil surgeon in the USA and get your vaccinations transcribed? Did you receive a sealed envelope from the US Civil Surgeon? If you did, either the civil surgeon forgot to include something he should have, or it got lost out of the AOS package when it got opened at USCIS.

I'm not talking about the medical you had done overseas, I'm asking what you included in the AOS package in the USA.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2011, 1:03 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The "or" is in the list of possible Department of State forms which cover the ONE thing missing -- the medical results. Either the reviewing officer missed them or through an administrative glitch, they did not make it into the file.

It is not your fault but it is your problem.

"The trouble is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:32 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the DS-3025 - the vaccination worksheet - might have been in the envelope with the I-693, if you gave your copy to the Civil Surgeon, but the Civil Surgeon would not have the other forms. The other forms, and the original DS-3025, should have been in the envelope that you turned over to CBP when you entered the USA. (Remember, as the RFE tells you, the missing forms are the Department of State medical forms.)

Apparently your visa medical forms have been lost somewhere along the line, or are out of place in the file and have been overlooked.

Regards, JEff
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:24 am
Okie

Noorah. In the AOS package we sent along the sealed envelope, (which I understand contains the results of my medical and X-ray from Knightsbridge Doctors in London). Also we had a civil surgeon in the US complete my I-693 and transcribe the vaccination worksheet, (of which she made me a copy).

Therefore I'm inclined to favor the suggestion of others that it may well have been misplaced by USCIS, but most certainly is my problem.

I'm just trying to figure out how best to proceed from here on in. Does this mean I need to have another medical exam in order to obtain the DS forms again? I was hoping not, since this is going to cost another few hundred $$ because of someone's mistake, (but as said, is my problem so will have to deal with any monetary costs incurred).

I was wondering if Knightsbridge keep copies of exam results and would be able to fax/mail them to me.

That just leaves the I-693 which I'll need to go back to the civil surgeon to have done again.

Any other suggestions? I'd try calling the USCIS but in the past I've found them very unhelpful, (one person there actually gave me the wrong advice to one question which contradicted information on their website, but was adamant that I should listen to what they were saying to me).

Thanks again for your time.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to obtain the DS forms again, if Knightsbridge doesn't keep a copy, would be to go back to London and have another exam at Knightsbridge. (And that probably couldn't be done anyway - it's not the way things are set up to work over there.)

If Knightsbridge can't provide you with duplicate DS forms from their records it will be quicker and cheaper to make an appointment with the Civil Surgeon and get a complete I-693. Even if Knightsbridge can provide duplicate forms, it might be best to do what the RFE tells you to do and see the Civil Surgeon.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Sep 29th 2011 at 7:43 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozmac79
Noorah. In the AOS package we sent along the sealed envelope, (which I understand contains the results of my medical and X-ray from Knightsbridge Doctors in London).
This is not the norm. The information containing the results of your medical and x-ray from London should have been part of the larger sealed envelope which you handed over at the POE, and should have gone directly into your USCIS file in the USA...it should not have been in your hands at all.

Also we had a civil surgeon in the US complete my I-693 and transcribe the vaccination worksheet, (of which she made me a copy).
OK, this is normal, and you did include it, so that isn't what's missing. Or if it is missing, it got lost somewhere at USCIS.

Therefore I'm inclined to favor the suggestion of others that it may well have been misplaced by USCIS, but most certainly is my problem.

I'm just trying to figure out how best to proceed from here on in. Does this mean I need to have another medical exam in order to obtain the DS forms again?
Might be. If your original medical exam that came from London is lost, you will need a new one, done in the USA.

I was wondering if Knightsbridge keep copies of exam results and would be able to fax/mail them to me.
I don't know if they do, but I'm not sure it would work if they fax/email them to you, anyway, because then you could tamper with the results. If anything, they'd probably need to send it to you in another sealed envelope, which you would then forward, still sealed, to USCIS. I don't think they'll do that.

My K-1 fiance had his medical done in Turkey, and he lost the results a couple of days later. He went right back to the doctor's office and they said they don't even keep a record of the immigration medicals, and he had to have another one done all over again. Of course, that's Turkey. The UK could be different.

Any other suggestions? I'd try calling the USCIS but in the past I've found them very unhelpful, (one person there actually gave me the wrong advice to one question which contradicted information on their website, but was adamant that I should listen to what they were saying to me).
You are right, you can't rely on what they tell you at the 800 USCIS misinformation line. Perhaps you can make an InfoPass appointment to go in person, perhaps they can tell you there exactly what is missing from your file.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:05 am
Okie

Yes, sorry. I did hand over the large envelope at POE of course.

I also had a sealed envelope that I sent in with the AOS/I-693 et al, which was of course from the civil surgeon who completed my form here in the States.

So yes, seems to me that I'll have to have another medical here in the States. That's fine of course. It's just I'm angry at having to pay for another one for someone elses mistake.

At least the RFE has given me three months deadline to get back to them. That's something at least.

Thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:19 am
Okie

Noorah. Regarding the Infopass appointment, did you mean I would need to go to the service center in question, or just the nearest USCIS office to me?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:22 am

Noorah. Regarding the Infopass appointment, did you mean I would need to go to the service center in question, or just the nearest USCIS office to me?
Not the service center. Your nearest USCIS local office.

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

infopass appointment enables you to goto the nearest office and actually speak to someone who should have access to your records and be able to tell you exactly what is needed , id perhaps even take along a copy of the I-693 and vaccination record that you got from the civil surgeon just incase that is what they have lost
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:31 am
Okie

Am booking an appointment right now.

Nearest office is a two hour drive from here which is nothing for the peace of mind of talking to someone face to face

Last edited by ozmac79; Sep 29th 2011 at 8:33 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:42 am

Nearest office is a two hour drive from here which is nothing for the peace of mind of talking to someone face to face
I hope it works out for you, and that you don't need a whole new medical. Keep us posted!

Rene
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:05 am
Okie

Thanks Noorah. As usual, coming here for advice has helped. I'd completely neglected the InfoPass option.

My appointment is set for October 5th, so shall report back forthwith.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:23 am

Two hours? Four hours round trip?

Prediction: you aren't going to learn anything more than you already know from the the RFE. Use the time to visit a Civil Surgeon.

Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.